What to do with all those foam mat edges...Hmmm make a sword!

SMOKE

Moderators: I didn't know where this thread would best fit, so I decided to put it in the costume forum because I felt that it might be useful here.

Edit: has been moved. Thank You!

Like many of you, I have TONS of those edges from the foam mats and can't seem to let myself throw them away. So, I decided to see if i could make a cool sword for my fiances dark elf armor out of them. I pretty much flew through this one and it shows. Don't be too harsh, I flew though it to see if it would work and hold together. So far so good. It was a fun hour.

first I lined them up and glued them together.
IMG_20111030_233339-1.jpg

then I lined up the other side and repeated
IMG_20111030_233826.jpg

I then added a piece of bamboo I had lying around( a straighter wood rod would work better)
IMG_20111030_234339.jpg

Then I sandwiched it all together with some Super 77
IMG_20111030_235829.jpg

Trimmed out the saw blades with scissors
IMG_20111031_000525.jpg

Then I dremeled the edges and painted
IMG_20111031_005651.jpg

The handle came from a Dollar Store glow in the dark sword my kid hit me in the face with.
IMG_20111031_010433-1.jpg

Started piecing it together. A little more glueing around the handle and hand guard and it'll be all put together.:)
IMG_20111031_012115-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, but two things I need to add.

1) it´s a prop, so it was moved to the prop section

2) it´s a LARP sword, and out of security reasons (too late for that now, I guess) you should have added a tip guard to the top of the bamboo stick. It´s usually two pieces of leather at the end of the bamboo so the tip of the sword is broadend and the bamboo stick does not pierce through the foam

Google LARP sword or foam sword, you will find several how to´s.

Otherwise great work !

Michael
RPF staff

Resourceful use of scraps. Good to see you're not wasting material unnecessarily.

Thank you, I try to use everything I can.

Nice, but two things I need to add.

1) it´s a prop, so it was moved to the prop section

2) it´s a LARP sword, and out of security reasons (too late for that now, I guess) you should have added a tip guard to the top of the bamboo stick. It´s usually two pieces of leather at the end of the bamboo so the tip of the sword is broadend and the bamboo stick does not pierce through the foam

Google LARP sword or foam sword, you will find several how to´s.

Otherwise great work !

Michael
RPF staff

1. Thank You for the the move! I was a little unsure so I left it up to you guys to decide. No confusion here on out.:thumbsup

2. Once you said LARP sword it snapped to me. I saw them in that movie with paul rudd. I never though about saftey tho.. Will have to add a couple scrap pieces of leather like you suggested

Thanks Again!:thumbsup

Wow..it looks Great!

Thanks!

Very resourceful Jon. Looks cool.

Thanks buddy!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back