What Size Backer Rod?

Phonemonkey

Hi,

About to order backer rod for dreadlocks but thought I'd get a general concensus of what would be the best diameter to go for? It'll be for a full size mask but just not sure what thickness of dread looks best. Being from Scotland, I'm as tight as a crab's arse at 50 fathoms and don't really want to buy something that doesn't look right.

Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

I got a beserker mask from predator666pain666 and I used 1in backer rod. It fit the holes perfectly. You can look on my suit build thread, or my album to see how it looks.

I got a beserker mask from predator666pain666 and I used 1in backer rod. It fit the holes perfectly. You can look on my suit build thread, or my album to see how it looks.

Thanks for the quick reply. How do I find your thread/Album? I'm not very good with PCs. Technofear.

I used 3 different sizes initially , 20mm,15, &10. Tried to get a feathered look to my dreads. I don't know about anyone else but I can't get paint to stay on?
Even using plastic based products I still end up with black dandruff. May be an idea to look into dying them first.
Still think you'll find after a couple of hunts you'll want to change up to latex?
Good luck with it.

Hi,

About to order backer rod for dreadlocks but thought I'd get a general concensus of what would be the best diameter to go for? It'll be for a full size mask but just not sure what thickness of dread looks best. Being from Scotland, I'm as tight as a crab's arse at 50 fathoms and don't really want to buy something that doesn't look right.

Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

it all depends on what you prefer, some members prefer the thinner ones while others like to go with the thicker dreads, I went with the 5/8" backer rod and painted them with black Plasti-Dip since latex and paint all peeled off, below is a video of my dreads, hope this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Kzj2u7Dkw&feature=plcp

You could order dreads from Bambooie, they would be more expensive, but oh man are they worth it. If you use backer rod you can lightly sand the ends with a Dremel tool to taper them. Try painting them with Plasti-dip black, and then put a light coat of Perma-wet on. That will give a slight shine, and protect the paint. Good luck with the build.

Thanks again for the advice. Should've said that this is more for a display piece. I intend to make a mould of the whole Bio and Dreads and cast it in either plaster or concrete as one solid piece. It's more a case of what will look good and will be easy to make a mould from rather than "swishability", etc.

Leaning towards the 1" thickness. I think.

bamboo is the guy who does the best dreads as someone mentioned earlyer.

however if your on a low budget you can do like i did and use backer foam. looks pretty good once completed. i prefer 20 mm as i think the thicker the better but its down personal choice.
do a search on forum and have read theres lots of threads discussing this and plenty of information to get you going mate.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back