What respiration mask is needed for bondo work?

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am about to start working with large quantities of bondo. What type of mask should I get to protect my lungs and slime coated inner-bits?

Sanding or just for it curing? Sanding, a good dust mask, or preferably a HEPA mask with filters. For curing, I'm not sure there's any problem with fumes as long as you have decent ventilation. If you don't, just get a face mask with switchable filters and get the standard chemical filters for it.

We have a pair of dual cartridge filter masks that work well for just about everything. We got my dad's at sears (and of course they stopped carrying filters) and we got mine from Harbor Freight. We cheat a bit by washing the filters a few times before having to toss them but they work really well. I'm sanding resin with mine and it's about as fine a dust as bondo dust I think.

For uncured product (Bondo and poylester resin) you want an organic rated resperator. I get mine from Home Depot. Depending how often you work with it it is recommended to change the cartiges about once a month. I also typically by a new mask about once a year.

For sanding you can get away with a dust mask, although for simplicity reasons I wear the resperator when performing this task as well.

The area you are working with should be well ventelated, but you should still wear the resperator anyway as you are right next to the source and will have longer exposure than people just passing by.

For uncured product (Bondo and poylester resin) you want an organic rated resperator. I get mine from Home Depot. Depending how often you work with it it is recommended to change the cartiges about once a month. I also typically by a new mask about once a year.

When you aren't using the organic cartridges, just put them in a zip lock bag and seal it. That prevents the act of diffusion from eating up the charcoal filters with ambient chemicals in the air. They'll last much longer unless you use them heavily during the month.

Here you go :)

Paint - Paint Accessories & Apparel - Dust Masks & Respirators at The Home Depot

This is the one I have; Paint Project Respirator, Large, 1 each/pack, 4 Packs/Case-6311PA1-A at The Home Depot, it works great! I use it for sanding, cutting (wood, resin), painting, and when applying fiberglass resin/bondo.

I tested the filters by holding an open container of bondo to my face (1-2" away) while wearing the respirator and nothing! Once I took off the respirator, my room was bombarded with the wonderful scent of bondo! :lol

I realize it's not a proper way to test it, but the filters this respirator brings are great!
I recommend that respirator :thumbsup

Last edited:
I have the exact same one as Fennec except the rubber color might be different.

A word of warning: put it on before you actually use it so you can get used the the funky odor the rubber and filters give off. This way if you get a different smell you will know something is not put on right or time for new filters. Oddly enough, I kept smelling the same thing a few weeks ago when I toured a correction facility.

Thanks all! My work shop is a garage so I open the door and have fans running for ventilation.

Since we are on safety, you should wear gloves while you are using this stuff. Read the safety sheet for Bondo, but most likely it will say to wear latex gloves, NOT nitrile.

At a bare minimum, Home Depot sells these masks -- I don't recall if they are light blue or not. They're disposables and are specifically rated for paint fumes as opposed to, say, wood dust.

Since we are on safety, you should wear gloves while you are using this stuff. Read the safety sheet for Bondo, but most likely it will say to wear latex gloves, NOT nitrile.

I would say, wear latex gloves when using fiberglass resin.
However, I have gotten used to working with Bondo now and find it much easier not using gloves :)

I tried wearing latex gloves while Bondo-ing once, and I can't tell you my frustration :darnkids

I usually apply Bondo without gloves on, but! I do have bits of paper towel around because I like to go in and fix the surface a little bit with my fingers.

The mask that NormanF and I have is a great choice! You should definitively get it! :cheers

And I'm glad to hear you have a garage to work in! I have a room with a medium sized window (4.5 ft * 4ft) which I always have open when working, and my fan broke down, so I need to get a new one in there!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back