What new films would you INSIST are masterpieces?

New films, guys. NEW films. I would't go back more than a decade mesself. Just pointing that out as some of the names coming up are more than a couple of decades old...

Inception (definitely. What a terrifically exciting and unpredictable movie that was.) :p
District 9 (hopefully)
LOTR (already positioned there, unlikely they'll drop from that bracket)

One of the hallmarks of a Masterpiece, is surviving the test of time, so for me nothing new can be a masterpiece.

You just don't qualify yet.

Are we doing 21st century flicks? Because people are listing a lot of 20th century films. If I'm going with 21st century, I'd have to go with:

LOTR series
District 9
anything Daniel Day-Lewis touches (including the upcoming Lincoln)
No Country For Old Men

Probably more, but those are just the few off the top of my head.

I thought inception was so lame. I had already seen the Matrix. Inception was the same movie but not as cool.

I loved Limitless.

In the last roughly 20 years, I know of only 4 Masterpieces.

* The Shawshank Redemption
* Dumb and Dumber
* Gladiator
* Toy Story

The Wook

Genre gems that are future classics IMO
Sunshine, Pandorum, Planet Terror, Children of Men

Other films for the less nerdy
Brick, American Splendor, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Classic is different from Masterpiece to me anyway.

Raiders classic, not a masterpiece.

Your mileage may vary.

Micdavis is right, I would not call any of the latest 20 years of movies a masterpiece. Great films, Yes.. Classic, Yes. Masterpiece , no.

Classic is different from Masterpiece to me anyway.

Raiders classic, not a masterpiece.

Your mileage may vary.

Okay, Mic, I'll bite. What is your definition of a "masterpiece" film? You can give film examples, but really I'm looking for your definition of "masterpiece" as it relates to characterizing films. And how is that different from your definition of a "classic" film?

The Wook

The Harry Potter films, I KNOW they will be classics in ten years, and twenty years, and fifty years and so on. And I will stand by them my whole life, even the earlier ones.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back