What movies deeply impacted you or spoke to you?

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
This is NOT a "what are your favorite movies" thread or even a "best movies" thread, but a question of what movies struck a chord with you or had a profound impact on you?

For me, they are:

Empire Strikes Back (1980) - Not really going to spend much time on this as I am sure Star Wars had a massive impact on most of us, but ESB was the first movie I saw in theaters and it has had a lasting impact on my life for more than 30 years!

Young Guns (1988) - Came out when I was in about 6th grade and I wanted to be like those guys so badly it hurt. I have always loved westerns but this was a modern western that I could relate to and that seemed very "cool" at the time. I know it isn't actually a very good film or even particularly good acting, but this solidified my love for Westerns and bad-boy heroes. In so many movies, I see the end coming a mile away, but some movies are so engrossing that I stop analyzing and just enjoy and often times, things that should be very obvious catch me by surprise. The end scene of this movie was one of those moments. So dramatic, so epic, so emotional and to tragic. LOVED IT!

The Crow (1994) - This film is all about things and subjects I don't really care for yet it somehow struck a major cord with me and still does anytime I watch it. I know a lot of people seem to focus on this because of Brandon Lee's death but my interest in this movie has nothing to do with that. I had just never seen a revenge movie quite like it and the bad-assness of it was tempered by the love story. Again, while not a particulaly great film, it holds a very special place in my heart and has some truly memorable film moments.

Fight Club (1999) - While everyone else was still raving about the Matrix, THIS was the movie that defines 1999 for me and I felt that spoke to my generation more than anything else I had seen. The funny thing is, I read the book and absolutely hated it...and have read several other Chunk P books and hated them as well. Something about that movie just nailed the way I felt in my cubicle at that time. This is another of those films that tell you all along the way who Tyler Durden is, but I was so engrossed, it still came as a complete surprise.

Donnie Darko (2001) - This movie barely makes the list, because it spoke to my highschool self, which was already 7 years behind me. I wish this movie had come out in the early 90s and it would have been even more impactful. Still, there were some incredibly strong emtional chords plucked for me in that film. It is a little funy to me now that I have come to see Frank and a symbol of my love for that film when he really didn't do anything for me in the film itself.

Prometheus (2012) - You can hate on this film all you want for not being yet another "aliens escape and run amok" film, but I went into this movie not knowing what to expect, expecting to be disappointed, and walked out completely blown away. This movie touched on a lot of subjects that tie into my worldview and touched on or around a lot of things I believe. It didn't ridicule. It didn't do the typical Hollywood thing. It didn't fall into a number of potential cliches and best of all, it made me THINK. I haven't seen a movie in a long long time that sparked my imagination in the way this movie did. Is it a perfect movie? No, but it is more interesting and more thought provoking than anything I have seen in years!

Rocky Balboa had a huge impact on me. I was having a rough time when I saw it. The scene where Rocky talks to his son in the street helped put things in perspective. Things immediately began to turn around for me after seeing that. Although I love certain movies, that was the first time one had influence on me.

Laugh at me if you must, but Sucker Punch deeply affected me. Many people just can't get beyond the surface of "hot chicks with guns" to see the philosophical message behind the story: personal responsibility and living life on your own terms. The big quotes from the movie really sum it up.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

It may sound like a cliche, but when you think about it, it basically says that if you live your life on someone else's terms and don't believe in something, people will walk all over you.

"Everyone has an Angel. A Guardian who watches over us. We can't know what form they'll take. One day, old man. Next day, little girl. But don't let appearances fool you, they can be as fierce as any dragon. Yet they're not here to fight our battles, but to whisper from our heart. Reminding that it's us. Its everyone of us who holds power over the world we create. We can deny angels exist, convince ourselves they can't be real, but they show up anyway, at strange places and at strange times. They can speak through any character we can imagine. They'll shout through demons if they have to. Daring us. Challenging us to fight.

And finally this question, the mystery of who's story it will be. Of who draws the curtain. Who is it that chooses our steps in the dance? Who drives us mad? Lashes us with whips and crowns us with victory when we survive the impossible? Who is it, that does all of these things? Who honors those we love for the very life we live? Who sends monsters to kill us, and at the same time sings that we will never die? Who teaches us what's real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend? Who chains us? And Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You. You have all the weapons you need. Now Fight!"

When taken as a whole, I believe this statement is telling the viewer that everyone has an innate desire to be free and independent, not lashed to a life of others constantly telling us what to do. Therefore, our conscience urges us forward, steeling our resolve and preparing us to become far greater than we are. However, we are plagued with self-doubt, creating that inner conflict that rages to determine whether we stand idly by as life moves on around us, or if we grab life by the mivonks and make things work for us.

Donnie Darko: It must've been the soundtrack coupled with a kid in high school. The sense of urgency Donnie had. He knew something bad was coming and did so many things that didn't make sense (like me in high school :lol). Finally he just came to terms with his fate.

Drive/Bronson: Something about the soundtracks to these definitely helped. But the characters also drew me in. Both had a intensity to them I haven't seen on display too often in films. They were tense, ready to snap. Bronson was a man out of place in this world. Driver was also a bit off, quiet and calm, ready to help out or ready to snap depending on the situation.

For me it was:

Beautiful Girls: This movie just hit home with me about growing older and reflecting on your youth and "coming home". I felt it was one of the most genuine movies I've ever seen.

My list would include Star Wars because it dominated my childhood.

As an adult, the list would be dominated by war movies based on real history. Knowing that real events were even close to what is shown on screen is just amazing to think.

Probably the most affected I have EVER been in a theater was watching Schindler's List I will never forget the end of the movie and the sold out crowd's reaction.

Saving Private Ryan really got to me. I'm not ashamed to admit I sat in my car after it was over and cried for a solid 20 minutes at least. The camaraderie and sacrifice of America's young men during the opening of Operation Overlord was overwhelming...and seeing it depicted with such realism (as opposed to reading about it or previous films...The Longest Day, for example) made it hit home even more.

Star Wars: obvious. It's the first movie I can recall seeing in a theater... and the one that's been with me the most. I have a hard time separating the SW movie - but, it's the first one that I will remember my baby sister crying at in the theater because she was scared of Chewie and some of my earliest memories will revolve around. ROTJ will hold a special spot because it's the only time my parents let me skip school for a movie.

Chasing Amy: didn't care for it at first, once I figured out what it was really about, I related to it in ways that I thought would never be possible. I'll give Clerks a nod here, too - just because it shows that a dream can come true and it is a very special movie for me as well.

Donnie Darko: I just can't explain.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: I really didn't realize it until a thread here reminded me of how powerful this movie was to me as a kid. I've never been the biggest Trek geek, the death of Spock was just so powerful to me back then. Revisiting the Trek films over the last couple of years served to remind me that this will always be the Trek film and it's doubtful it will ever be topped.

Rocky II: not an easy one to explain. My Dad is quite fond of the Rocky movies (having boxed in the service) and I remember I saw II before he did (I think it was II, it was a looong time ago, I may be mistaken) and I just remember him telling me not to spoil the end. The Rocky films are the ultimate underdog stories and will always have a special place for me.

Jaws: I remember this one scaring the bejeesus out of me and my sisters when this would come on broadcast TV's Movie of the Week. You just couldn't touch the floor because it was 'water.' Still my favorite horror movie.

(500) Days of Summer. Some parts of this seem to be outtakes of my life. So relatable.

Others worth a mention: Hesher, Big Fish, Usual Suspects, The Crow (kudos to AA for mentioning this one, totally unexpected - until the Avengers, I thought the Crow was the perfect comic book adaptation. I read The Crow comics as they came out and waited forever for the last issue), Almost Famous, Let Me In...

This is NOT a "what are your favorite movies" thread or even a "best movies" thread, but a question of what movies struck a chord with you or had a profound impact on you?

For me, they are:

Empire Strikes Back (1980) - Not really going to spend much time on this as I am sure Star Wars had a massive impact on most of us, but ESB was the first movie I saw in theaters and it has had a lasting impact on my life for more than 30 years!

Same thing for me except it's the original SW instead of ESB. First movie I saw at the theater and it remains one of my 5 favorite movies of all-time.

Same here Art, ESB was the first starwars I saw at the cinima as a kid, and apperently I was practically climbing into the screen :lol

Tron, this is an interesting one. As a kid I had no idea at all what it was really about, but totally loved it anyway. Saw it a few more times as I grew up, and each time I saw it, new revaluations revealed themselves as I started understanding more of the elements it contained. Now I know what an amazing plot it really is, and understand what a risk Disney took by making it. All the computer jargon, and references to hardware that was very scarce in the average home at the time was pretty cold compared to their normal output. Very forward thinking film though, and one I will hold close for a long time.

A.I I can't say enough about this film, quite profound, and tragic, it had me in tears at the end.

Clerks- For a few reasons, by hollywood math it should have never achieved anything much less, cult fandom and launching careers.

Because (plot wise) it went against everything I had ever seen before.

Because it proved that you can make an amazing movie with almost no resources.

Because I was a clerk.

The Man From Earth.

A scifi flick that is few people in a cabin discussing an amazing idea, interlaced with religion, skepticism, and history.

Star Wars

Star Wars whether you love it or hate it, completely changed the way we make and experience film. Ground breaking is not a big enough term for what ILM accomplished. Built on dreams they shattered the paradigm of the industry.

Star Wars and Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Not just because they are great films in their own right, but because they led me to check out all the old classic films that inspired them. I discovered many films dating back to the 30's that I may not have had interest in otherwise.

Office Space.

Anyone who has ever worked in an office setting will recognize and be able to identify EVERYONE in that movie.

The same goes for Waiting, to a smaller extent.

Black Hawk Down - I remember when the actual events took place. As a Soldier seeing Shugart and Gordon embodied on the big screen selflessly volunteering to be dropped off to protect Durant, knowing full well then would die, literally brought me to tears.

Savior - knowing what atrocities actually occurred in Bosnia and seeing a movie that shed a bright spot (although fictitious) in all that was amazing. Dennis Quaid was great in this.

And of course Star Wars.

Wes

Raiders of the Lost Ark: I saw this movie before I was sentient. The sense of adventure has always had an impact on how I live, and I always look for opportunities to get out and do stuff because of it. Along the same vein, Harold and Kumar.

500 Days of Summer: My life, 2006. Spot on. Horrifyingly accurate.

50/50: When this movie came out, my mom and a friend had both just been diagnosed with cancer. I finally watched it the day after my friend died. It helped me deal with a lot of stuff and also gave me hope. I had never before and haven't to this day seen a movie that hit me that hard.

Road Warrior and Thunderdome as they introduced me to what an antihero is and now i'm addicted to anything post apocalyptic.
Oddly enough the 1986 transformers and 1987 gi joe movies (i was pretty young then still) because it showed that dedication and sacrifice are needed to succeed in life at times.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back