What is the Worst movie ever made?

My list includes

1. Most m. night shamalyan movies - the dude ripped off a pre-teen novel for the plot of The Village.

2. most Steven Seagal movies - watch him run in any of his movies.

3. Tie: Spider-man 3 & x-men 3 - honorary mention for a marvel tv show: iron fist

4. Soul man - which Hollywood executive thought it was a good idea to produce this movie?

5. Tie: the last Jedi and the rise of Skywalker - the dumb and dumber of the Star Wars family. worst fan fic ever.

My list includes

1. Most m. night shamalyan movies - the dude ripped off a pre-teen novel for the plot of The Village.

2. most Steven Seagal movies - watch him run in any of his movies.

3. Tie: Spider-man 3 & x-men 3 - honorary mention for a marvel tv show: iron fist

4. Soul man - which Hollywood executive thought it was a good idea to produce this movie?

5. Tie: the last Jedi and the rise of Skywalker - the dumb and dumber of the Star Wars family. worst fan fic ever.

hilarious!! i think he even shoots himself in the foot! LMAO!!

To me, the worst movie ever made is judged on "how" they tell the story, not "what the story was.

Someone mentioned Avatar. Personally, I think this story was told incredibly well. I wasnt a fan of the white savior/dances with smurfs thing, but the film maker knew how to tell the story. His scripting was great, there was world building, the storyboards worked, etc....

For me, the (one of the worst) worst film award goes to The last Jedi. Not because I didn't like the story of the movie, but because the way he told it was so bad. There was clearly no storyboard because so few of the shots made sense. The actual dialogue felt like it was made up on set and there was no visual or thematic continuity throughout. Plus, the logic of the movie didn't make any sense.

I realize that there are lower budget worst films, but this one is just a stinker because the filmmaker had a tremendous amount of support behind him and it appears that he didn't ever go to film class to learn about the visual language of making a movie.

Avatar was well made. No question. James Cameron is a talented filmmaker and knows how to tell a story in images. The problem I had was the condescending tone and theme. There are ways to make your point without beating your audience over the head and acting like they are stupid. "Unubtanium?" Really??? The fact that the name made it into the final film, much less past the first draft, is flat out pathetic. How stupid does he really think we are? That name is the kind of thing you use as a place holder while you are writing the early drafts of the script. For being a veteran in the industry that is surely a rookie mistake.

The Last Jedi was also condescending though not very well told in context to the saga as a whole because it played more to Rian's ego than it did in service to the story. At least Avatar knew what it was doing.

Sadly lots of movies fall under this umbrella. There are nice looking/ sounding movies that are utter crap in terms of script, direction, visual storytelling, acting, etc. The parts may work in and of themselves, but on the whole they fail as a movie. Argo is another well made movie, but it lacks any substance. It's paint by the numbers, fill in the blanks, watch it once and you'll have a hard time remembering much about it, it's so generic and yet that crap won an Oscar for Best Picture. The real story that it's based on was absolutely worthy of being made into a film, it was simply forgettable as a movie. It's proof that they give Best Picture to movies for being competently made and not because they are actually good.

Movies can be well made and still be awful though that list would be so long that I couldn't possibly name them all. I can admire the skill and care taken in the crafting of a movie and yet dislike the movie as a story for many reasons.

Last edited:
Mars Attacks. I am in to some bizarre movies but I just couldn’t sit through it and I was a kid at the time.

With the notable exception of T2: Judgement Day, I view most of James Cameron’s films on the cynical side. He’s managed to derive this like, alchemical blockbuster formula that manages to enthrall the biggest possible audience, without there actually being much substance to the film, or really any passion. I have to give him credit for the historical recreation of the Titanic sinking, and some of the advancements in CG effects with Avatar, like water simulation and stuff, but both of those films in particular marked the end of his career as a filmmaker and the beginning as a business mastermind who realized if you made a big schlocky action movie but pretended it was a romance, you’d get the biggest audience possible.

I can’t wait to see the seventeen Avatar sequels that have been shooting simultaneously since the first one came out…

To me, the worst movie ever made is judged on "how" they tell the story, not "what the story was.

Someone mentioned Avatar. Personally, I think this story was told incredibly well. I wasnt a fan of the white savior/dances with smurfs thing, but the film maker knew how to tell the story. His scripting was great, there was world building, the storyboards worked, etc....

For me, the (one of the worst) worst film award goes to The last Jedi. Not because I didn't like the story of the movie, but because the way he told it was so bad. There was clearly no storyboard because so few of the shots made sense. The actual dialogue felt like it was made up on set and there was no visual or thematic continuity throughout. Plus, the logic of the movie didn't make any sense.

I realize that there are lower budget worst films, but this one is just a stinker because the filmmaker had a tremendous amount of support behind him and it appears that he didn't ever go to film class to learn about the visual language of making a movie.
I only mentioned Avatar when somebody brought up the distinction between bad movies and disappointing movies, personally I didn’t like it, but it is in no way a bad movie

i really suspect james cameron has been laying low and quiet hoping everybody forgot he sank so much money into avatar sequels that he thought were such a good idea over a decade ago. i just don't think enough people give a flying crap about avatar.
funny thing is, that was the only movie i found myself liking sigourney weaver in...shocking, i know.

Last edited:
Has anybody ever met a die hard Avatar fan? I find it so fascinating how big that movie was at the time and how quickly the hype faded and the complete lack of fan fair ever since. I can’t think of another movie that was anything like it.

i really suspect james cameron has been laying low and quiet hoping everybody forgot he sank so much money into avatar sequels that he thought were such a good idea over a decade ago. i just don't think enough people give a flying crap about avatar.
funny thing is, that was the only movie i found myself liking sigourney weaver in...shocking, i know.

Galaxy Quest?

Look, I have one job on this lousy ship. It's stupid, but I'm going to do it! OK!

For me, every Highlander production after the original. Let’s see, what was the tag line for the original Highlander? “There can be only one”.

Apparently not.
I'll trust you on that since I have yet to see any of the sequels or a single episode of the TV show. My vision of that story has remained untainted for 34 years! :cool: (y)

"Worst" is a tough metric to measure, recently I tried to watch a flick called Valentine: Dark Avenger on Amazon, it should have been right up my alley but the acting was so bad I had to put on Kick-@$$ to get my vigilante fix. ;)

Many of the movies I have a hard time watching now are ones I used to love!
Flash Gordon: LOVED it as a kid, tried to show it to my daughter when she was 10, twenty minutes in she looked at me and said "Do I HAVE to watch this?"
It's spectacularly bad!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back