Well here we go! Building a suit for he little one......

Darkwolf1

Ok so needless to say there has been a LOT of discussion around the house as of late about me ordering my suit. And as a result of the the little guy decided to chime in with "I want to be the predator too dad". Um yeah ok so my reply is "Well why ever would you want to do that?" to which I get "I want to be like you". So what are you gonna do. I can't afford a suit for him and I don't think the pro make one in 5yr old sizes so........ I guess my talentless a$$ better make it happen. Well thanks to Vinman's awesome template I decided to give it a whirl. I will start out by saying I have NO idea what I'm doing but I'm just going to feed off (leech off whatever :) the amazing talent here on the Lair and just try to follow your examples. I am using foam for the armor which I will cover in liquid latex and make a stab at painting it. I am just starting out and I will do my best to document what I'm doing, but as I'm winging it I sometimes get distracted so if I jump around I'm sorry. So three days, one cut and four burns from the glue gun later I have his shoulder bells and butt armor done. NOw I have no idea what I'm gonna do about the skin or the mask, bio...etc. But I want to make him happy so I will figure it out. I'm a little nervous about posting my sub-par work up on here with all the stuff that everyone else makes, but that being said I really want the advice and the critiques so please by all means. Once again thank you Vinman for the templates you are a godsend.

pieces cut out
armor1.jpg

Gluing tips for spike effect
armortip2.jpg

"spikes"
armortip.jpg

bell supports cut out
bellsupport.jpg

bell assembled
bellclose.jpg

bells and butt plate
bellsandbuttflap.jpg

armor1.jpg

armortip2.jpg

armortip.jpg

bellsupport.jpg

bellclose.jpg

bellsandbuttflap.jpg

Thanks I just started looking around I'm looking for the deluxe one I guess and they make hands to apparently. None on ebay at the moment in child's size.

Thats awsome.

There are a few of us that are in the process of making kids costumes. Ok maybe just us :D and a few that have finished. I don't need a pro built suit, I just want it to look like I tried. So the stuff I'm making for my son will end up being practice for my stuff. These are the theads I remember, hope they help.

The kids stuff I'm making is for my son (8yo)
my profile lists my threads. I've only done a gaunlet for him so far, I promised him more progress this week on his armor.
This is his blade gauntlet: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=15423

Un-Blooded finished his daughters suit for last Halloween (7yo)
his profile lists his threads: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showuser=1265
her suit: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...c=14642&hl=

cujo66 is doing costumes for his family
his thread: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...c=14007&hl=

Both Un-Blooded's daughter and my son love my generic 'demon' gloves that are just too dang big for them. Both cujo66 and Un-Blooded have great ideas that came out really good.

Thats awsome.

There are a few of us that are in the process of making kids costumes. Ok maybe just us :D and a few that have finished. I don't need a pro built suit, I just want it to look like I tried. So the stuff I'm making for my son will end up being practice for my stuff. These are the theads I remember, hope they help.

The kids stuff I'm making is for my son (8yo)
my profile lists my threads. I've only done a gaunlet for him so far, I promised him more progress this week on his armor.
This is his blade gauntlet: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=15423

Un-Blooded finished his daughters suit for last Halloween (7yo)
his profile lists his threads: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showuser=1265
her suit: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...c=14642&hl=

cujo66 is doing costumes for his family
his thread: http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...c=14007&hl=

Both Un-Blooded's daughter and my son love my generic 'demon' gloves that are just too dang big for them. Both cujo66 and Un-Blooded have great ideas that came out really good.

Those are great links thanks a bunch. I did not know so many people had done this. I ordered the latex today. I love the gaunlet by the way. I'm also putting together a sound and led board for him but that's a suprise. I will be fitting him this weekend and posting more pics. I have four custom rifle I have to finish for customers by friday so that is gonna have me buried til' then. Will update soon. We will have to get all the pred-a-tots together for a play date......

Those are great links thanks a bunch. I did not know so many people had done this. I ordered the latex today. I love the gaunlet by the way. I'm also putting together a sound and led board for him but that's a suprise. I will be fitting him this weekend and posting more pics. I have four custom rifle I have to finish for customers by friday so that is gonna have me buried til' then. Will update soon. We will have to get all the pred-a-tots together for a play date......
Thanks
Un-Blooded and I are only 10 miles apart. So we can get the kids together every once and while. I really need to get some foamies. That stuff seems to work great for so much.

if you dont want to mess with having to paint latex. try just painting the foamies and then spraying on clear Plasti Dip. it comes in a spray can. will keep it soft and be quicker to paint.

if you dont want to mess with having to paint latex. try just painting the foamies and then spraying on clear Plasti Dip. it comes in a spray can. will keep it soft and be quicker to paint.

The spray paint won't eat the foam? I was worried about a chemical reaction between the hardeners in the paint and foam. I will spray paint a scrap piece. I don't think I've ever seen plasti dip so I'll have to look around for that.
Thanks.

Un-Blooded and I are only 10 miles apart. So we can get the kids together every once and while. I really need to get some foamies. That stuff seems to work great for so much.

Yeah the foamies are great..... I was going to do it in aluminum because metal I can work with but the Mrs. was like ummmmmm.....no.

Looks great. Yes Plasti-dip will work as a base on foamies. you can then weather it using metallic acrylics. no real need to seal after that ..its weathering ..if some scrapes off, it'll still look worn. THIS IS IMPORTANT ..when using spray plast-dip, use a respirator...that stuff is death in a can

Looks great. Yes Plasti-dip will work as a base on foamies. you can then weather it using metallic acrylics. no real need to seal after that ..its weathering ..if some scrapes off, it'll still look worn. THIS IS IMPORTANT ..when using spray plast-dip, use a respirator...that stuff is death in a can

Thanks buddy I have a nice respirator from painting cars and equipment so I'll do my best not to kill myself. I would like to go on living for a bit more. I'll pick some plasti-dip up tomorrow the website says Home depot carries it so I should be good there. Been reading all the painting huntorials. I know the devil is in the details and there is a huge difference between detail work and painting big flat stuff. The Mrs. says it looks great, he's 5 he will be thrilled. But I figure do it right the first time, learn what I need to learn and then I can start work on my own custom suit build while using my purchased one. I just pray the Mrs. just keeps rolling her eyes at me because if she was to get interested in it and wanted her own I would be broke forever.

I'm a little nervous about posting my sub-par work up on here with all the stuff that everyone else makes, but that being said I really want the advice and the critiques so please by all means. Once again thank you Vinman for the templates you are a godsend.

Never be afraid to post your work here as it can only lead to bigger and better things. This is by far the friendliest prop board I have ever been a member of. And, as far as I am concerned, the only way to truly fail is to never try in the first place. Plus, what I see here so far look great and your son will have a truly special memory of you doing this with and for him.(greatest plus of all)

Ok so was pretty sick yesterday...blahh.... but I have some updates for toady. I finished cutting out all the pieces for the chest armor and made the thigh armor. I actually managed to get him to hold still long enough to test fit some of the armor. :rolleyes: I picked up the plati-dip as per PTGREEK's recommendations and that will be the base coat on all the armor. I did mess up on the scale for the center of the chest armor so I'm making a new one and I will use the old one as part of the groin armor I think. I have a gallon of liquid latex on the way and I ordered a child size Mr. I muscle costume which will become his predator skin. I will pick up some high density foam blocks which will be carved for the backpack, gauntlets and cannon. I'll throw up some pics of the progress.

On a personal note I would like to thank all of the ladies on here and the guys with their "mates" up on the suit thread. Thanks to you guys mine says " I'd wear a suit too, to events and stuff with you guys. But I want to be a sexy predator". SOB! I don't even know what a "sexy" predator would be..... But it looks like I'm totally screwed for the near future as I will have no free time and no money. So at this point I'm just gonna go lock myself in a dark room, curl up in the fetal position and cry ;)

So no new under mask for me... I'll be saving for parts for her suit....gotta find a female skin from somewhere.

chest pieces cut out
chest1.jpg

chest assembled
chest3.jpg

Chest 2
chest2.jpg

thigh and groin plate
thighandgroin.jpg

test fit 1
testfit1.jpg

test fit 2
fit2.jpg

butt armor
buttarmrtest.jpg

chest1.jpg

chest3.jpg

chest2.jpg

thighandgroin.jpg

testfit1.jpg

fit2.jpg

buttarmrtest.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back