Weathering technique question

DalekNim

I’m getting rea to paint and weather my wife’s Bo Katan armor and need some help. I know how to do the basic wear and scratch techniques by using masking fluid to show the ‘underside“ of armor but I’ve seen where for some of this in addition, around the edge of the area is a black outline. Can someone explain how this is done. I know I could just take a black magic marker to outline the inters of the scratches and the main armor color but this would seem to be a little to clean and not look realistic

Primer, metal (silver paint), fake primer (color of choice), surface color.
Then for weathering add dirt colors of choice and dab off with damp rag till you get the desired effect.

Sharpies have oils in them and will bleed, they also have a metallic red sheen.

Something like this where I used 3 shades of green and used steel wool to wear through them.

100_0023.JPG

Or like the Fett helmets are done using liquid masking in layers of paint.
102_0223.JPG

Last edited:
Thx for the replies but I'm still missing something ..... I know how to do the basic technique of applying masking fluid and then painting over it to be able to reveal and 'under layer". what I still don't get it how to do multiple under layers? the effect I'm trying for is a chip or scrape that shows the chrome undercoat, followed by an edge of black around that with the blue armor color on the 'outside'. I'll then add some 'dirt' weathering techniques over the blue.

You could use multiple applications of masking fluid ie. metallic, mask, colour 1, mask, colour 2. I'd remove and reapply the mask each time rather than adding on top.

Personally I use hairspray chipping - you can do multiple applications if you seal it with varnish.

Take a look at the Fett helmet I posted.
After each color I masked for the next, in my case I removed the masking after each color so I could see the edges then apply a new masking expanding it to the new shape to get what I wanted.

Even without masking you can do that just by painting in layers. Say you paint how division 6 said. You sand the surface color off, and sand through the black as well, and stop at the silver. The middle black layer will be exposed at the edges just as you describe. You can touch up any areas where you sanded too far with more silver.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back