Weathering help - ESB Boba Fett Sidearm---how can this be properly replicated?

tubachris85x

Master Member
I'm closing in on a ESB side-arm commission and this last part is what's concerning me most. I was asked to mimic the weathering style of another persons work. The biggest difference being that he uses airbrush and I stick to rattle can sprays. That doesn't bother me too much as I can work with what I know, but the last aspect I'm getting concerned with doing properly is the weathering, mainly on the barrel/upper portion of the blaster (on the silver)

If you look at this pic, it's a mix of gray, light brown mix.

10155586_10203631429722141_6601984442153344781_n.jpg

Now, I was told that this was achieved using gray primer as a base, then steel-wool taken to it, and the rest added on, but I'm kinda weary of this as it's pretty vague..

Can anyone with more experience possibly explain the best method for achieving this look?

Looks like gray with the rust color dry brushed on. Then take steel wool to it to add the scratches and scuffs. Seems straight forward enough.

Edit: Sorry, you're talking about the upper barrel area.
That looks like it has a silver/chrome base and a couple of washes air brushed on, then wiped away a bit.

That kind of looks like the old Floquil Grimy Black airbrushed on, and then taken off with steel wool or something similar. Now how you would replicate that with out an airbrush...no idea. Go buy an airbrush.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back