Weathering Advice for 1:48 Another Tie

youngwm

Hi, nothing new here I took a break from a project that was dragging and put this together among a few other models. I really could use some help with some light weathering on this Tie. I want to bring out the detail without making it real dirty. I have seen images of other's really bringing out the detail and I'm not sure how to get that clean but weatherd effect.

I have black ink, a few AK products like water marks and rust. I also have acrylics and enamel paints. Any thought's

I have included a few pic's, again I am aware that this model has been displayed here in the past. I did not buy any spirit from AK can I use anything else to safely remove a wash?

I need to finish some detail painting and apply some small parts but thought I would ask before I finish. I plan to spray with future before weathering.

Thanks for the any help.. I really am amazed at what I see on the forum!!!

SAM_1425_zps8bdeb69c.jpg

SAM_1424_zpsed64f6f5.jpg

SAM_1426_zps459b297a.jpg

Last edited:
A wash would be your best bet for what you want to do. A wash is super thinned down paint. The near watery paint will collect in the nooks and crannies making the detail pop. Using a black wash may be a bit stark, so I would go with a dark grey, almost black, wash. Use a wide brush and load it up with your color and just brush over the entire model. I would use acrylics for this. Add just a drop of dish soap to your acrylic wash. This will help break the surface tension of your watery mixture and help it flow instead of forming droplets on the surface.

Thank's Robiwon,

I am going to do just that. I read on fine scale modeler about using dishsoap. I plan on trying a thin dark grey and then a real thin tan/brown real light wash..

As for the base I think I may just leave it looking dry as is.. I thought the grid would look kinda cool instead of just have a flat wood base, something different with a repeating pattern. The materials used 10 years would have cost a fortune :lol..

Thank's once again.

MY

That weathering video was fantastic! Thanks for posting it and thanks Lasse for filming it!! So informative!

Sofaking,

Awesome video!!!, I like how he painted the panels and will try that technique when I tackle the falcon. That wash looked great and maintained the color of the model. That's really what I'm trying to do is get a nice wash and keep the haze grey color. I have to say as well that the color to me looks really good. I have read some prefer a more white TIE.

Thanks again.. spot on.

Thanks for the adivce and Video to check out. I finished and though it seems a little dark overall I am happy with the results.

When I finished I went to clen the canopy from dust used a small q-tip like sponge with alcohol and the entire canopy turned a haze white in a panic I removed and dunked in future and the stuff saved the day.

Here is some pics,

Thanks again I guess it flowed pretty good in the nooks and cracks.
Used dish soap, thinner, acrylics, and drybrushed a little white, rust, and black.

SAM_1436_zps841b61de.jpg

SAM_1434_zpsed3fb5b8.jpg

SAM_1430_zps7b690197.jpg

SAM_1435_zps56cb5a9b.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back