Weathering a Graflex ClampHi

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all
Weathering an Obi Wan lightsaber. The clamp is too new lookng for me. It's a romans empire clamp I believe it's aluminum. Is there any way to weather it and make it look a little rusty and pitted? Right now I have it soaking in salt water. Not real sure I want to use anything harsh. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

This should totally be moved to the Star Wars Section, mods.

I've heard of people using some sort of acid...vinegar, or something stronger to weather it. I've never done chemical weathering so I'd be interested to see detail too!

It's not aluminum it's chromed steel.
The problem with replicas is the chrome layer is really too thin, and the copper layer under is too thick, so no way to make a credible etching.
I wouldt tell you to follow serenity advise making paint job, but first covering with aluminum tape, I did so on my replicas, it's quite correct.
If you want something better, I would suggest you to buy a real ring on the junkyard here there is guy selling many, then you remove bars and lever from replica and put on original.
Please take care, the lever is VERY weak on replicas, ther is actually no decent replica of the graflex clamp on the market.

Now you tell me! Lol! The vinegar and salt solution I used took the finish off exposing the copper underneath in some spots. Plus the clamp lever snapped off! Trying to decide how best to fix this new problem. I used to use a product called sophisticated finishes which was a two step process to create rust. I may use this to hide the copper looking areas.

This is a good question. Not to veer off topic, but I had some chrome strap slides that I was going to use on my Endor rifle and they are too shiny. I wonder if the salt and vinegar solution would work better on those.

I would try to use a really good aluminum paint or foil to fix the clamp though.

the other member is avolow, he has many rings, and cheap prices.

the best for removing shinyness on chrome is to sand a little bit with fine paper.
Sandblasting doesn't work on replica clamps because it removes the chrome entirely.

Ok so the vinegar and salt bath ate the brushed chrome off revealing the copper. So I'm going to paint the clamp with aluminum paint then use my two step rust stuff on it. Romans has a clamp lever so I'll get that and be ok.

Ok so the vinegar and salt bath ate the brushed chrome off revealing the copper. So I'm going to paint the clamp with aluminum paint then use my two step rust stuff on it. Romans has a clamp lever so I'll get that and be ok.

I am researching electro-nickel-plating at home. I don't know how fast you are wanting to fix this, but I think I am about a month out from trials. I have a whole Graflex needing to be replated. Just fyi...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back