Watchmen props

Here's a sample of the new frontiersman replica I'm currently working on. I've just finished the front page so here it is:

newfrontiersmanfrontpag.jpg

The final newspaper will have 2 pages (3 if I can find some content to put in).

I based my replica on this picture including elements from the graphic novel (the missing writer part):

rr3v.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.
I just watched the director's cut version of the movie in wich the newspaper appeared and it seems that I made a mistake about it's size.

I'll fix that soon.

PS: The final newspaper will have not 2 or 3 but no less than 4 pages :)
PS 2: I found the mistake I made with that first try. The new fontiersman is a ****ing tabloïd ! Don't ask why I made it in a broadsheet size. Doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of putting together all the items Rorschach had on him when he was arrested.

So far I've managed to snag 1969 subway map (I know, it's a year off, but I figure it's close enough) off of eBay that I'm gonna do 1985 corrections to in red pen, a vintage flashlight from the 60s, and the easy stuff I have done, too (1.59 in change, wilted rose, pepper, sugar cubes).

The only parts giving me trouble are the Grappling Gun, and that darned journal. Can't seem to find a good source for that.

There's a guy on eBay selling replicas of Rorschach's Police File, and Dr. Manhattan's Military File, which I got one of each. I can attest to them being really great quality. Not sure if he's someone here on the RPF or not, though. If you are, thanks! :cool

Last edited:
Doesn't make a difference, does it.

I hope I can still get them for a reasonable price. I'm the one who bid on lot #1 :lol

Thanks.
I just watched the director's cut version of the movie in wich the newspaper appeared and it seems that I made a mistake about it's size.

I'll fix that soon.

PS: The final newspaper will have not 2 or 3 but no less than 4 pages :)
PS 2: I found the mistake I made with that first try. The new fontiersman is a ****ing tabloïd ! Don't ask why I made it in a broadsheet size. Doesn't make sense.

Why did you choose different pics of the three characters? This copy was already posted.
View attachment 14868

Didn't know someone already posted a replica of this cover.
And the problem with the 3 pictures still remains. They're to small to be properly printed in 300dpi. That's why I had to choose some other shot for the front page.

I'm planning on making Rorschach's journal with leather cover and the wordings embossed in the front like the movie prop. The pages will be distressed. I've got the text for the journal, both the comic version and the movie version (they differ slightly) but there seems to be enough for about 9 to 10 pages only, i.e. entries for October 12th 1985 until November 1st 1985. Is anything known about the movie prop apart from pics of the front cover? i.e. are the pages repeated (like the grail diary) to fill up the journal? Otherwise, if we're just to use the abovementioned entries, the journal would consist mainly of blank pages.

Also, what inserts do you guys think would go with this? I know the movie journal didn't have any insert, but I thought it might be fun to have some to go along with the book. I was thinking a pic of the Watchmen and Roy Chess's Pyramid ID among other things.

Since we never saw any writing in Rorschach's movie journal (as far as I can remember), I don't think there is any writing in the movie prop.

Actually, we do get a very quick glimpse of it while Rorschach was eating from the can in Dreiberg's kitchen:
vlcsnap-141194.jpg

Looks quite thick, and Rorschach seems to write a lot! :lol

Wow nice catch! On another topic that I have been thinking about, has anyone been able to find 1950s Comedian's belt buckle? It looks like a found item to me, but I haven't been able to find anything unfortunately.

Also, what inserts do you guys think would go with this? I know the movie journal didn't have any insert, but I thought it might be fun to have some to go along with the book. I was thinking a pic of the Watchmen and Roy Chess's Pyramid ID among other things.
I'd include a photo of Nite-Owl II (since it's hinted that he has an... um... attraction to him) a Gunga Diner menu and that horrible, monstrous picture we see in the comic that is supposed to represent his mother having sex with someone.

Since we never saw any writing in Rorschach's movie journal (as far as I can remember), I don't think there is any writing in the movie prop.

Actually, in the "Film Companion" book they use his opened journal as a background for Rorschach's pages so you can get a REALLY good look at his handwriting, not to mention a couple pages (though some of it is blurry).

From what I can tell, it does repeat pages over and over. I'll try and get a scan of a couple pages to show you guys!

Actually, in the "Film Companion" book they use his opened journal as a background for Rorschach's pages so you can get a REALLY good look at his handwriting, not to mention a couple pages (though some of it is blurry).

From what I can tell, it does repeat pages over and over. I'll try and get a scan of a couple pages to show you guys!

That'll be awesome! Thanks!

Edit:

I went over to the nearest bookstore during lunch today and found the book there. Took some snapshots of the relevant pages with my camphone. Here they are:

journal1.jpg

journal2.jpg

Looking at the pics, I noticed something interesting. The prop features both the movie journal entries and the comic journal entries. For instance, in the first pic, we have the movie version of the final entry on the left page and the comic version on the right page. Looks like I'll be making my journal in that same manner. They'll start from October 12th and end on November 1st with both comic and movie version on opposite pages, and then I'll repeat the pages again to make the book come up to about 200 pages with a few blank pages at the back.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back