WARNING FOR SINTRA USERS

Hey folks,

I just picked up the news that SINTRA, the foamed PVC board that alot of folks use for making props, contains LEAD as a stabilizer.

Yes, that's right. Lead. As in that stuff that makes deformed babies and gets you ill.

As far as I know right now, Sintra dust is not of concern, but the FUMES from burning or heat-cutting Sintra may be much more dangerous than previously thought.

I will post more if I find out anything else.

-Gordon
 

TK171

Well-Known Member
Arrggg.. Bobs a gonner. :lol

Does Bob know about this? I know he like to use Sintra to work on things..
 

wynnstudio

Active Member
also laser cutting and I assume other high heat methods releases the chloride in it. Mixed with the water vapor in the air and you get chlorine gas.

FUN

Thomas
 

Great_Bizarro

Sr Member
Damn Sintra crack pipes gonna kill everyone :D Be sure and get the MSD sheets on everything you might burn or sand. There is a lot of stuff that if it doesn't kill you it can cause other problems. Now where are my asbestos gloves I got some sintra burning in the oven :rolleyes
 
<div class='quotetop'>(foxbatkllr @ Jun 13 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]1261202[/snapback]</div>
Well, I guess I better wear a mask from now on...
[/b]
Yeah, I just have one stitched to my head now. My wife hasn't seen my real face for what... six years?


Just kidding.


Maybe.


-G
 

YenChih Lin

Sr Member
Lead can cause nervous damage, headaches, joints pain and dementia, motoric dysfunction due to long term accumulation. It can be found within the bones and internal organs like liver and kidneys and can't be easily depleted by the body. An acute toxication can be treated with EDTA or Penicillamin.
 

Darth Kahnt

Sr Member
<div class='quotetop'>(spcglider@aol.com @ Jun 13 2006, 05:31 PM) [snapback]1261247[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(foxbatkllr @ Jun 13 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]1261202[/snapback]
Well, I guess I better wear a mask from now on...
[/b]
Yeah, I just have one stitched to my head now. My wife hasn't seen my real face for what... six years?


Just kidding.


Maybe.


-G
[/b][/quote]

:lol

A lot of women would prefer it to be that way in reality... :lol
 

TheSt.LouisKid

Sr Member
I love the stuff.

And that would explain why I just pooped out my liver and one kidney the other day. :eek

All kidding aside thanks for letting us know and everyone please take the proper steps to protect yourselves.
 

Beagle Bill

Well-Known Member
:angry This sucks. Government says you can't use lead in paint, yet it's perfectly fine to add to building materials?.? WTF? Thanks for alerting us to this. I've been using Sintra for a couple of years. Gotta stop using Sintra before I get dain bramage. :eek:

Bill
 

Scotophor

Active Member
Lead was removed from paint decades ago because children will often eat flakes of peeling paint. Many other products (especially plastics) still use lead oxide as a color enhancer; it makes colors brighter and less transparent. Paint makers have generally replaced lead oxide with other metal oxides, such as titanium dioxide (which works better than lead anyway). Lead was used in ancient Rome to sweeten wine... many historians believe the fall of the Roman Empire can be at least partly attributed to lead poisoning.

Electrical wiring insulation is one example: teachers sometimes use electrical wire for student craft projects due to its easy formability and bright color, but of course this should be discouraged... just handling it (let alone chewing on it) presents a hazard.
 

Teddz

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I remember seeing my grandfather one day in his cabinet shop in a fog of lacquer he had applied... no mask, just a slice of pizza in his hand then a cigarette. Lung cancer got him when he was 85. Smoked from 12 years of age. Personally, I think he wanted to go. He was a carpenter all his life, my grandmother was really harsh with him, then around his late 70's his arthritis was bad and he couldn't even hold a hammer anymore. That destroyed him. It was a downward spiral from then.
 

nomuse

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Maybe I'm just a born pessimist, but making it to 85 -- and being able to build with my hands until 70 -- sounds to me like a nice goal.

I inhaled a few too many chemicals in my earlier years to be that confident, though (especially working in poorly ventilated warehouse spaces building massive set-pieces for trade shows).
 
Top