warmachine hinge system

yeah me 2 but i cant find any thats kindof the problem... I'm gonna buy 2 servo's in an hour or 2 once im outa school and some LED's or EL strips. need them anyway haha :D

but i need some details cause i want it to move out then up and then knock itself back like in that vid...

Looks to me like he just used the same system MasterLee did way back, not his design. Not much of a system but gets the job done. Make sure you have your chin in place when you do the setup or the faceplate will hit the front lip.
Here is a vid of Jay showing how it was done, all you need is standard side hinges and your set.

IronMan faceplate top mount hinges - YouTube

I think some of the systems used to open/close the faceplate have included some kind of control board.
Personally I can't see why it need to be so complicated. Surely all you need is to control to movement of the servo motors using microswitches (once the switch is hit the power is cut off & the power). Then a seperate curcuit ot close the lid doing the reverse. A 2 pole tongle switch should activate the power/operation.
I could be wrong as i'm a mechanical engineer not electrical (but I do know a little about electrics).
Hinges - the actual levers for the hinges may have to be trial & error (suggestiion - use cardboard or sheet plastic).

I myself am making my hinge with a Four-Link-Mechanism (vierstangen mechanisme in Dutch) this way I can calculate, with the start and en position of the faceplate, the positions of the turnpoints.

I have been trying to work on one of these for awhile and i have a system thats a slightly modified version of a suitcase hinge ... from my early tests of it it seems that it will do a really good job but i need to try it out with servos and the fibreglass faceplate to be absolutely sure

Hey rensole... I really cant remember your inquiry on my hinge system (sorry, forgetful me:facepalm)... but its not only you that have asked me my design but so does everybody else... you see its the closest to the real thing (movie WM helm function - jaw movement excluded) as you can get... you can compare it to other hinge system out there and (if you have a very keen eye) you will notice the difference... :confused

I'm a mechanical engineer by profession and it took me more than 2 months on prototyping and making it work as accurate as I can... you will not find any instructions on how to make this kind of hinge system... its the same frustration I encountered which really forced my brain to make a design of my own.

The reason I cannot give the details is that my hinge system together with the WM helmet will be offered to everyone very soon (target before end of this year)...:):thumbsup but it will be pricey though... If you're interested, you may want to save up... it will be 200% accurate (as I want to call it... lol:lol) since the actual movie props is not motorized...

If you're not interested, then you may try other hinge system available out there...:thumbsup Try to look at the works of amazing people here like Zabana, Jaymay, Mightyjohn, Mockle, and others (I forgot)

Really sorry I cant help you on the DIY but I hope you can purchase my 200% Accurate WM Helmet when I finally offer it in the JY.

Good luck!

Well considering the video is projectearth7's, why don't you ask him?

Thank KG...:):thumbsup

Looks to me like he just used the same system MasterLee did way back, not his design. Not much of a system but gets the job done.

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." - Albert Einstein ;)

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." - Albert Einstein ;)

I talked to you about this before you gave no indication it was not that system. If it isn't good for you. :thumbsup I stand corrected, just giving the guy some help, cheap options since no one else was. ;)

Hey rensole... I really cant remember your inquiry on my hinge system (sorry, forgetful me:facepalm)... but its not only you that have asked me my design but so does everybody else... you see its the closest to the real thing (movie WM helm function - jaw movement excluded) as you can get... you can compare it to other hinge system out there and (if you have a very keen eye) you will notice the difference... :confused

I'm a mechanical engineer by profession and it took me more than 2 months on prototyping and making it work as accurate as I can... you will not find any instructions on how to make this kind of hinge system... its the same frustration I encountered which really forced my brain to make a design of my own.

The reason I cannot give the details is that my hinge system together with the WM helmet will be offered to everyone very soon (target before end of this year)...:):thumbsup but it will be pricey though... If you're interested, you may want to save up... it will be 200% accurate (as I want to call it... lol:lol) since the actual movie props is not motorized...

If you're not interested, then you may try other hinge system available out there...:thumbsup Try to look at the works of amazing people here like Zabana, Jaymay, Mightyjohn, Mockle, and others (I forgot)

Really sorry I cant help you on the DIY but I hope you can purchase my 200% Accurate WM Helmet when I finally offer it in the JY.

Good luck!

Thank KG...:):thumbsup

ok... any chance you could show us how you had the hinges set up tho ?
My dads an engineer but he's not into stuff like this i allready bought an arduino pluss some servo's to power it all

I myself am making my hinge with a Four-Link-Mechanism (vierstangen mechanisme in Dutch) this way I can calculate, with the start and en position of the faceplate, the positions of the turnpoints.

any chance you could show me on how you are tackeling the problem ?
cause i got no ideah on how to start right now

from all the people ive seen do it, none will say how they have done it. i have never gotten a thread or email reply for any of them. good luck to you.

thanks grave, i just think this comunity shares that much why wouldnt we share this ?
its a good thing and people should share this kind of info aswell.

thanks grave, i just think this comunity shares that much why wouldnt we share this ?
its a good thing and people should share this kind of info aswell.

Don't take it personally Rensole, some people just aren't as nice as others. After all its a community to help each other construct costumes but some like to take those ideas and market them instead of share. You can bet the cost will also be 200% accurate. But hey, thats their choice.

i know JJ but i grew up using forums, learning how to draw how to make 3d models animate, code simple game engines. so I think freedom of information is really important to stuff like this ^^.

im actually gonna do some research and do a short web series about how the hinges work once i got a few designs down and tested some stuff i'll upload some vids ^^

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back