Warhammer 40000 Space Marines

Please keep sales comments in the Junkyard only. Post your "who wants to buy" and "I want to buy" comments there (a JY thread has already been started).

It looks like the pics of the casting were taken down because of the sale discussion that started. I will start a Junkyard thread sometime on Monday or Tuesday, so please don't ask me for copies of this helmet before then.

After the silicone glove mold cured and the fiberglass mother mold was built, I managed to pull this casting:

OuttatheMold001.jpg

The neck hole was a little tough to fit my head through, but once I had it on it was a nice fit. I also have a hard time fitting my head into my MR clonetrooper helmets, so this one is about the same size as those are, just not quite so tall. While I was fairing and sanding the helmet, I took this picture of it next to a 12-oz. bottle for scale reference:

Fairing017.jpg

Once sanding and smoothing was finished, I cut the vents into the cheecks:

Vents012.jpg

This is the next morning after the sanding primer had dried:

Primer011.jpg

Primer014.jpg

This is my photoshop rendition of the final color scheme:

colorconcept.jpg

Of course, once the first helmet came out of the mold, it was time to make another one:

DSCN0621.jpg

And since I was on a roll, I went all the way through Saturday morning, afternoon, and evening, and continued making helmets right up until 2:00 a.m. when it got too cold for the resin to cure properly. So after four days, two large cans of Rockstar Energy Drink, and about three gallons of casting resin, I was able to stack these up:

DSCN0637.jpg

Now I'm perfecting my vacforming arrangment so I can make the lenses for the eyes out of 1/8th inch smoked acrylic:

DSCN0641.jpg

Someone actually came through with making a part of this armor? This is terrific.
You've actually accomplished what others have only talked about. :thumbsup

So I've figured out exactly how to form 1/8th inch thick smoked acrylic into the convex bubble lenses for the helmets. Here's a picture of the prototype helmet with the lenses in place:

DSCN0642.jpg

And a family portrait:

DSCN0657.jpg

I'm in the sanding and fairing phase on a bunch of these. I should be able to prime them later today or tomorrow. It's been a bit chilly in the shop (there's no heater in there) so I haven't been making any more castings. The resin does strange things in the cold and I'm not willing to blend up any more goo in my living room ever since my silicone disaster:

Messyevening001.jpg

In other news, I've started a for sale thread in the Junkyard, so please help me pay for the rest of the suit by buying helmets here.

To be honest I would have said the lenses should be flat, not curved - its how they are on the minis if I recall. Other than that, rockin replica.

SAS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sidewinder @ Nov 27 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]1366348[/snapback]</div>
To be honest I would have said the lenses should be flat, not curved - its how they are on the minis if I recall. Other than that, rockin replica.

SAS
[/b]

I spent a lot of time looking at the miniatures and the artwork before I settled on making them convex. I can make them flat too, but they really didn't look very good that way. Also, the lifesize versions in the GW stores have convex lenses. I always figured the miniatures were made with flat lenses to make them simpler to sculpt and cast.

All the same, if someone wants flat lenses, they're easier to make.

Really nice job, I always preferred the original beak design over the later design. Be cool to make the beak detatchable. I like the bubble lenses over the idea of flat lenses too.

Your "Family portrait" picture just made me giddy like a school-girl. That is really really awesome. And I found your JY thread, yeah. Nice work.

Pardon my ignorance but I see a reference to fairing the helmet. Could someone explain the term, as I have never heard it in this context.

THanx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brien @ Nov 30 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]1368985[/snapback]</div>
Pardon my ignorance but I see a reference to fairing the helmet. Could someone explain the term, as I have never heard it in this context.

THanx
[/b]

Fairing is what Bondo is used for on cars. It's what takes a helmet that looks like the one on the left and makes it look like the one on the right:

DSCN0621.jpg

Basically, I sand down the highs and fill in the lows and get rid of all the little flaws that I didn't notice in the sculpting phase. This needs to be done before the primer goes on and I start with the finish paint job.

About the finish paint job, here's a teaser pic:

IMG_1335.jpg

I've decided that I'm not happy with the finish so far, so I've sanded it down and primed it again. I'm planning on a black basecoat so I can start with a metallic finish using Mirrachrome like I did on my Jango Fett helmet on TDH. Then I'm going to paint over it and chip it down for a more believable used look.

Bravo.

Your helmet looks extremely nice painted in gloss colors...I intend to paint mine in flat blue, but that last image may change my mind.

I expecially like the pointed brow ridge above the eyes, it compliments the "beak" and makes the helmet all the more menacing.

Can you take pictures from other angles as well?

BOBBY

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thorssoli @ Dec 1 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]1369590[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brien @ Nov 30 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]1368985[/snapback]

THanx
[/b]

Fairing is what Bondo is used for on cars. It's what takes a helmet that looks like the one on the left and makes it look like the one on the right:

DSCN0621.jpg

Basically, I sand down the highs and fill in the lows and get rid of all the little flaws that I didn't notice in the sculpting phase. This needs to be done before the primer goes on and I start with the finish paint job.

About the finish paint job, here's a teaser pic:

IMG_1335.jpg

I've decided that I'm not happy with the finish so far, so I've sanded it down and primed it again. I'm planning on a black basecoat so I can start with a metallic finish using Mirrachrome like I did on my Jango Fett helmet on TDH. Then I'm going to paint over it and chip it down for a more believable used look.
[/b][/quote]

That looks great, I can't wait to get mine. I am really struggling with the paint scheme. I played Space Wolves for over a decade, but a really good friend of mine that died last year played Rainbow Warriors (Yeah pull out your Rogue Trader or 40K companion for the scheme) I later made up my own paint scheme for a specal campaign game that was a nice green color. It is going to be so hard to choose :)

If you do another run there is a pretty decent chance that I am going to want to snag another one or two, but I can't commit for a couple weeks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghadrack @ Dec 1 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]1369767[/snapback]</div>
That looks great, I can't wait to get mine. I am really struggling with the paint scheme. I played Space Wolves for over a decade, but a really good friend of mine that died last year played Rainbow Warriors (Yeah pull out your Rogue Trader or 40K companion for the scheme) I later made up my own paint scheme for a specal campaign game that was a nice green color. It is going to be so hard to choose :)

If you do another run there is a pretty decent chance that I am going to want to snag another one or two, but I can't commit for a couple weeks.
[/b]

Make sure you post pics of yours once you've finished painting them.

I was fairly torn trying to choose a paint scheme for mine. I always liked the Blood Angels since red and gold are the colors of the US Marines (my sister and her husband are both on active duty in the USMC) and for some reason it seems to be a good fit. Plus these colors do a good job of differentiating it from everything else in science fiction.

When I decided on making mine look worn and scratched, I started thinking of making up a chapter with a drab green base color and bright red trim (think Boba Fett). I'm even tempted to put a dent in the forehead.

At the same time, I suppose I could just make a few more of them instead of choosing...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back