Warehouse 13 opening credits scarab

Jeff C

My mother is a big Warehouse 13 fan, so I decided that the scarab from the opening credits would make a good birthday present. You know that one:

View attachment 82957

Well, this little guy came in the mail today.

View attachment 82953View attachment 82954

It's clearly the same sculpt as the one in the credits, but the colors are all wrong. And also super-tacky. So, a few hours in a bath of Simple Green and some scrubbing later, we have this:

View attachment 82955View attachment 82956

Not exactly ready for painting, but the Super Green is softening up the existing paint nicely, and doesn't seem to be effecting the resin. Hopefully by tomorrow the rest of the paint will be softened enough to come off.

Sorry for the lack of updates, her birthday is in April, so the project has been a bit on the back-burner.

After priming the scarab I realized that I left the copyright date on. Whoops. A little dremeling and bondo later...

View attachment 88902View attachment 88903View attachment 88904

Some paint. Not the best color ever, but close enough.

View attachment 88905View attachment 88906View attachment 88907

And then a black wash. My camera really picked up the black. It isn't quite as extreme in person.

View attachment 88908View attachment 88909View attachment 88910

Also, the scarab is from here.

Well, the more I looked at it, the more I hated the color, so I threw on a light dusting of a lighter green. Ended up looking really good. Can't really see in the pictures, but the lighter green didn't really get down into the crevices, which sort of adds shadows of the darker green and the black wash.

View attachment 89758View attachment 89759

Now, can't just throw the scarab in a box. Artifacts are dangerous; you need to package them safely.

I had Office Depot print some artifact labels for me. You can see the labels in question in posts 5 and 16 of this thread. I created the high resolution graphic using the shots in that thread and the graphic made by Division 6 as reference.
View attachment 89760

Did a test cut with my Silhouette SD on some plain paper.
View attachment 89761View attachment 89762

And then cut the actual labels.
View attachment 89763

On an acccuratish anti-static bag.
View attachment 89764

And with the scarab in the bag.
View attachment 89765View attachment 89766

I'm very happy with the scarab, and having it the bag makes it about 100 times better. I couldn't be happier with how the labels turned out.

The screen-used Scarab of Imhotep was a found object that the prop company for WH13 then modified.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back