War of the Worlds (BBC) 2019

So I just saw the first episode.

Oh lordy, it's a disaster of catastrophic proportions. A terrible, midguided, clusterfork. Quite possibly the worst adaption of a classic sci-fi novel (or any novel) I've ever seen. Makes the recent terrible BBC adaption of Day of the Triffids look like a masterpiece of restraint.

Aside from the time period, locations and nods to some of the original characters, there is virtually no Welles here.

A huge proportion is taken up by the journalist's relationship with his girlfriend, Amy. It's scandoulous, see, because he has left a loveless marriage with his wife and is having a baby with Amy. He's disowned by his stuffy politician brother, gaslighted by his boss and scorned by his neighbours, apart from the big-hearted part-time astronomer, Ogilvy. This takes up reams of the running time, with George portrayed as a brow-beaten, wimpy dolt, while Amy is bright, brave and adventurous.

The Martians arrive in a meteor that looks like a large christmas pudding, which eventually cracks. A giant black globe emerges and flys up into the air, spinning like a top, and the surrounding crowds start bursting into flames. Then the tripod emerges (offscreen).

There is no cylinder, no unscrewing, no Martian and most inexplicably, no heat heat ray. The classic weapon has been replaced by an invisible pulse.

After this, the plot disintegrates into an unintelligable mess. George and Amy are separated and everything starts getting blown to crap by the Martians (offscreen). We keep flashing forwards to a post invasion apocalyptic London, where Amy and her now 8 year old son are fruitlessly searching for George. These scenes are untelegraphed, annoyingly frequent and initially utterley confusing. The writing is an absolute mess, the pacing and editing horrendous, and overall it's a big bore.

Hoping for a big battle between the fighting machine and the military? Happens offscreen. Even the war machines are not properly seen before the final few minutes. The tripods have a quite effectively creepy spider-walk motion, and their limited time on screen is about the best thing in this disaster.

This is gonna get destroyed by the critics, it's already getting a mauling on IMDB. Man, what a turd.

One thing I really hated with the Tom Cruise version was having most of the cool stuff happening off screen- I wanted to see the destruction and battles between the Earth and Martian forces. This project had such promise- from the Tripod design to having it a period piece, it is such a shame they just made the invasion a backdrop of an uninspired soap opera drama.

If you go through the effort of trying to be faithful to the book then keep to the books story. YOu cannot do everything that is in the book due to time constraints, but at least follow the story...

Bummer. Sounds like the same kind of regrets heard when a period adaption was made several years ago on a low budget. A completely wasted opportunity.

Special effects remind me of Doctor Who

It's not that bad, obviously the drama part of it fleshes out the people

J

Too bad they're not people I have any interest in getting to know.

Despite all the writer's efforts to make us care about the social injustice that they are being subjected to, which is given way more time than the freakin' Martian invasion! And they still manage to come out as more cardboard than classic Doctor Who sets. Rafe Spall, who is normally really good, has all the weight of of a pin cushion. Absoluteley terrible writing and direction, and I couldn't care less what happens to a single one of them. I don't know why they didn't just sex swap the character, since they are clearly more interested in Amy, who gets the opening 'No-one would have believed' narration and all the sparky English grit and determination.

It's abundantly clear that the writer has no interest in, or respect for, the Welles Novel. Why do these guys alaways think they can improve on classic sci-fi novels with their own nonsense? The BBC certainly don't attempt to pull this crap with Austen or Tolstoy.

Bummer. Sounds like the same kind of regrets heard when a period adaption was made several years ago on a low budget. A completely wasted opportunity.
Oh god that was abysmal...my high-school goof videos had better production value than that.

Despite all the writer's efforts to make us care about the social injustice that they are being subjected to, which is given way more time than the freakin' Martian invasion! And they still manage to come out as more cardboard than classic Doctor Who sets. Rafe Spall, who is normally really good, has all the weight of of a pin cushion. Absoluteley terrible writing and direction, and I couldn't care less what happens to a single one of them. I don't know why they didn't just sex swap the character, since they are clearly more interested in Amy, who gets the opening 'No-one would have believed' narration and all the sparky English grit and determination.

It's abundantly clear that the writer has no interest in, or respect for, the Welles Novel. Why do these guys alaways think they can improve on classic sci-fi novels with their own nonsense? The BBC certainly don't attempt to pull this crap with Austen or Tolstoy.
So I haven’t seen it yet so I’m basing this on your post and some other stuff I read...but I was concerned from the get go that the modern day social agendas will be funnelled into it and it looks to be the case. I’m just so sick that current social trends are channeled into stories which are set in times where it’s not fitting (looking at you, Gladiator with that democracy speech) and into ones thad had pretty damn strong social commentary on their own. I mean WotW and sci-fi are all about social commentary, why change the focus...?

It’s really odd that there’s this great cinematic sci-fi novel that still holds up more than a hundred years after its release and the best adaptation is a musical with a handful of paintings...

I don't care about social injustice. This is War of the Freaking Worlds! But this is also the BBC, which has turned into a far left political machine and has to inject it's asinine politics into everything they do. It's why their ratings suck. They don't have any respect for the stories they're trying to tell, they're just pandering to a particular political audience, ratings be damned. And because they don't have to compete in the free market, they don't have to care.

It’s really odd that there’s this great cinematic sci-fi novel that still holds up more than a hundred years after its release and the best adaptation is a musical with a handful of paintings...
Yes, that is also my most favorite version, but I'm not too keen on the tripod designs. I believe the tripods were described as monks hoods on legs in the novel, could remember wrong.

Yes, that is also my most favorite version, but I'm not too keen on the tripod designs. I believe the tripods were described as monks hoods on legs in the novel, could remember wrong.
I really love the Michael Trim design, it looks alien and high-tech but still fitting the 19th Century era. That being said it does indeed differ to what is described in the book, Wells actually makes a point somewhere that the fighting machine is really articulated and organic looking in its movements and is not a stiff thing.

The Martial Tripods also lacked any hinge type technology- apparently that civilization never did come up with the idea of having two units pivoting along a round shaft of some kind. They utilized a series of curved plated to do the same function instead.

I really love the Michael Trim design, it looks alien and high-tech but still fitting the 19th Century era. That being said it does indeed differ to what is described in the book, Wells actually makes a point somewhere that the fighting machine is really articulated and organic looking in its movements and is not a stiff thing.
Yet at the same time he had them move with two legs up off the ground when walking, in a swinging motion similar to when moving a three legged stool. I've always wondered what someone could come up with when taking all the descriptions in the book and design a machine from that and always wanted to see a walk cycle that follows what was written. I have never seen anyone do that.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back