War Machine MK1 - 3d printed version

funkster

So back in 2017 I bought myself a 3d printer in order to make a replacement set of War Machine armour.

I have Masked Rider’s fibreglass set, but that bad boy weighs about 40kg all in, so isn’t the best for wearing.

I bought the Do3D files and set to work.
By Feb 2018 I’d done most of the top half, but wasn’t 100% happy and then got distracted by Deadpool 2 and a First Order Snowie (completed) and a First Order Trooper (in the priming/painting phase)

Armed with some better skills, I got back to WM and other than the fingers I’m pretty much all printed.

Now the models, as they are from 2017, have issues. I have their MK85 files and they are much better. Also I have found them to be more responsive now than in the past.

There are thin walls/holes so everything has gone through Make Printable. There are sections that overlap, so need trimming
Parts that just float - the mini gun bracket won’t function in the real world - so again need modifying.

Anyway, here’s where we are so far

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_8820.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Now on to the fun part....

I've been thinking about ordering a set of files from Do3D for awhile now, but I've read mixed reviews about them. Now that they're giving away the MK 39, I am hoping that I can get a better idea of the quality of their work. You had mentioned that you weren't 100% happy about the top half. Is that do to the model or the quality of the print? Your project looks really nice so far, keep it up!

Their newer stuff is a lot better.
I’ve got the MK85 set ready to go and I’ve seen more than one person build that so you can see it’s possible.

When I started i wasn’t the most skilled and I also made it too heavy. Now it’s my third set of printed armour, so I’ve learnt what I feel is the sweet spot for weight vs durability.

I wasn’t that skilled at post processing then either but I’ve now got access to a proper spray room and 2K paint, so it makes the process much better

When I started i wasn’t the most skilled and I also made it too heavy. Now it’s my third set of printed armour, so I’ve learnt what I feel is the sweet spot for weight vs durability.

Out of curiosity, what is that sweet spot? A certain thickness? A certain infill? Just a good gut feel that comes with experience?

Very excited to see another suit come together!

Out of curiosity, what is that sweet spot? A certain thickness? A certain infill? Just a good gut feel that comes with experience?

For me I've found that 1 outline and 10% infill is enough for most of my armour. Some of more decorative parts that serve no purpose have zero infill and the boots for WM have 30% and more base layers as they're going to support all of me and the armour.
The chest and back have 2 outlines and 5% but they are the base to hold up the arms and the gun

I'm using a 0.6mm nozzle, so that's a 0.72mm outline, so with the infill and both perimeters you've got at least 1.5mm of plastic.
Obviously it's not flexible in the same way vac formed stuff will be.

I know that another guy who prints a lot of armour uses 1 outline and 20% but I think he uses a 0.4mm nozzle.

I just bought a set of files for black Friday. I printed a test a ring for the neck seal, it seemed ok then went ahead and printed half of the neck portion felt kind of tight. I am wondering if the whole thing will be too tight, how is this part of the armor supposed to be worn? Is it supposed to feel like a choker?

The neck part is never comfy.

I’m not sure 3D printed is the way to go with that piece.

Something more flexible will be much more comfortable

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back