Want to make A Life Cast of my head. Need help

AbsoluteZero300

Kindof new to the rpf but def new to casting. I want to do some helmet sculps and have done a few but always have a hard time getting them to fit my head right cause I have a HUGE head lol

So my thoughts went to casting my head to be able to sculpt on to make sure its the right size. Ive been looking at alginate(pgc) and think that is the way to go. Was wondering if anyone knew how much I should order? I was going to order from monstermakers.com prob and they have 1lb and 2.5lb to buy. Didnt know how much I would need for one head cast.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

monster makers is good but not the only wat to go there is the fx wharehouse and many other suppliers at cheaper cost

Hi.
Take a look at the Brickintheyard Video:
Mold Making Face Cast With 880 Alginate - YouTube

The main problem with casting yourself
is getting someone to use the alginate correctly and make sure your nose is free to breath from.:unsure
It's a thick sticky goo and you may fail the first try, So get enough to do a few cast's.

if like me! you get your misses to do it.. make sure its in the bathroom or kitchen as it will go everywhere.. :lol

Look forward to seeing how you get on..

I haven't bought alginate in years, so I'm not sure what the going rate is, but I bought mine through a local dental supply shop years ago and got better pricing than from SFX houses, so you might try that route. Also, Frends Beauty Supply has very good prices on a lot of makeup and casting supplies, so you might check them out online.

If your doing head/neck only about 2.5lb
3.5 + if you want to include the shoulders to the collar bone
should about cover your needs.

I would suggest having 2 people do this, especially if inexperienced.
You need to work fairly quick. Have them watch those vids until they're
confident in the process. I would even buy a bit extra and cast a hand or
an arm so everyone knows what to expect working with the materials.
Good luck!

having recently used algenate for the first time and havingto get mynwife to do it i would recommend getting silicone:D
seriously i wasted a lot and its very soft so damages easily.
if i was doing it again i would get silicone. the amount of alginate i wasted covered half the price of the siliconeand silicons appears more forgiving to some handling

I personally used the 880 aliginate recently from BITY mold supply and had my best friend helped me. I made it too thin the first time, but the second time it was perfect. I prefer it to the silicone cause the silicone is so damn expensive. I got 5 lbs and I used about a pound and that was after I screwed up once. I also have a HUGE head. I liked it though, it was a fun process, I would say go aliginate/plaster bandages etc but thats just me! Good luck!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back