(W.I.P.) Custom/Hybrid Deathstroke

GothamsClown

SO...here I go again trying my hand at something I'm only starting to understand better....making my own costume and props....

I had some success at last years NYCC with my and my siblings...
20141011_142356[1].jpg

...but this year I plan to do a little better...and to do that i need to try and step up my game, hence my choice for turning my brother into Deathstroke. So, to give you an idea of what route I wanted to with, I took a few elements from different styles of the character:

9IZabf2l[1].jpgDeathstrokeColor-[1].jpg3801863-8024967186-o49Vc[1].jpgDeathstroke the Terminator4[1].png

So I wanted to go with a look that was like merging the Silver Age Deathstroke with the more modern day style we've all seen from "Arrow" and "Arkham Origins", and this is what I came up with:

20150422_223934[1].jpg

So in some ways I have a good amount of work ahead of me, but I've already made some good progress in the past few months (between work and other projects), and now im finally at a good point where I can start posting up some pics and getting some feedback :)

Last edited:
Re: Custom/Hybrid Deathstroke (NYCC 2015)

SO...here I go again trying my hand at something I'm only starting to understand better....making my own costume and props....

I had some success at last years NYCC with my and my siblings...
View attachment 486062

...but this year I plan to do a little better...and to do that i need to try and step up my game, hence my choice for turning my brother into Deathstroke. So, to give you an idea of what route I wanted to with, I took a few elements from different styles of the character:

View attachment 486063View attachment 486066View attachment 486064View attachment 486065

So I wanted to go with a look that was like merging the Silver Age Deathstroke with the more modern day style we've all seen from "Arrow" and "Arkham Origins", and this is what I came up with:

View attachment 486067

So in some ways I have a good amount of work ahead of me, but I've already made some good progress in the past few months (between work and other projects), and now im finally at a good point where I can start posting up some pics and getting some feedback :)

I'm planning on doing the same thing haha,been taking awhile but not really in any rush personally. I'm using Tony Daniels current design in the comics as a main influence. Good luck dude :)

Re: Custom/Hybrid Deathstroke (NYCC 2015)

I'm planning on doing the same thing haha,been taking awhile but not really in any rush personally. I'm using Tony Daniels current design in the comics as a main influence. Good luck dude :)

Good luck to you too, just looked up which design your going with and wow that's a lot of detail.

Last edited:
Custom/Hybrid Deathstroke (Pic Heavy WIP)

I wanted to put up some of the progress I've already made in creating my brothers costume, and it all started with the sword and staff. I first came up with a PVC handle and wedged a wooden dowel into in, then tested my first cardboard blade

20150330_174457[1].jpg20150410_040336[1].jpg

As you can see it wasn't the prettiest thing, so I came up with a second, wider cardboard blade...

20150412_194940.jpg20150412_195033.jpg20150427_191828.jpg20150501_013910.jpg

Making a wider blade worked out great, so I went ahead and painted the handle with some Krylon Fusion Black, then covered in a metallic copper color. The blade was wrapped in aluminum tape to give it a bright, metallic look, but I didn't really turn out like I wanted, so I decided start over from scratch
20150502_024004[1].jpg20150502_024250[1].jpg20150513_104702.jpg

So, when I was in the process of starting over I realized that I made a slight error in the sword's cross guard position, and made the second one with a downward cross guard inspired by the Silver Age comic design. When I compared the two swords, I noticed that my second one would be slightly shorter and not as wide as the last one, which actually worked out better.

20150524_191709[1].jpg

After a lot of trial and error, switching from mounting board instead of cardboard, and a good amount of masking tape, I completed the second sword, gave with the handle as better color and spray painted the blade. Personally I love the end result and I feel better about having my bother use this one at the event.

Last edited:
Re: Custom/Hybrid Deathstroke (Pic Heavy WIP)

Making the staff was soooooo much easier...I took a little inspiration from EyeofSauron when he did Deathstroke, and made a simple staff using two 2ft long 3/4" PVC pipes and some couplings before rolling it in some aluminum tape.

20150611_131028[1].jpg

After about a month of just straight being lazy, I finally got around to cutting and hot-gluing on some anti-slip mats onto the staff, mostly just for show rather then to provide grip. I stayed pretty balanced and adds a bit of weight to it as well.

I started working on making a utility belt and a pair of custom gun holsters, rather than to have to spend more money then I need to, and to also try out something new.

20150517_024604.jpg20150517_024621.jpg
20150517_030949.jpg20150517_031003.jpg

So I went and picked up a G.I. Joe Retaliation toy gun and traced a rough outline on some cardboard and cut out two halfs of the holster.
I measured out the minimum amount of space I was going to need so that the gun would fit nice and snug, and hot glued some outer supports to keep it pretty stable.

20150517_031050.jpg20150517_031106.jpg

The gun fits prerfectly, and is just tight enough to make sure it wouldn't move around. I took a pic of it on its side to show off how the outer supports look while the gun's in place

20150517_155247.jpg20150517_155300.jpg

I went and got some dark blue braided backpack straps and a couple of parachute buckles an fited then to the holsters with some ductape to measure out hw much I'll need and what I will trm away. After a bit of adjusting, the gun and holster fit him pretty well, tho it those look a ittle bulky, Im still happy with he result and just gotta make second one eventually

Last edited:

So to continue from my last post, I wanted brother to have a utility belt that looked modern but classic at the sam time....so I came up with the idea to make my own box pouches, that I'll later paint orange, and attach them to a homemade tactical belt.

20150524_181329.jpg20150524_190612.jpg

I wnet and got a couple of sheets of mounting board, a few simple measuring, scoring, and folding later and I made a deck box for trading cards...lol...i was pleased witht the outcome but made a few adjustments before coming up with my final designs

20150524_235310.jpg20150524_233814.jpg

So with my final designs, I decreased the size of the front half of the pouch for "easier access"...and extended the upper portion of the back end to make it look flush when it closes. I've already started painting them so once they're done I post up some more progress pics

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back