Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richard Jewell

• Uncut Gems

• Little Women

• Total voters
Parasite without a doubt was my favorite of this year. Nothing but a finely made movie; a truly complete cinema experience. Second would be Two Popes, and third The Irishman.

To me, Ford v Ferrari was the best movie of the year. Great story, great acting, awesome racing scenes and a good twist at the end. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a little too much Rick Dalton and not enough about Sharon Tate, but still a great movie. Third was probably Joker (mostly, the last 40 minutes of Joker).

Wow. Only saw 3 movies in theaters last year. Sad. Endgame was the best then. Sometimes I wish I could pause life just to catch up on stuff, like movies, games, model building and whatever else...working a job takes too much life, but we all need that money stuff.

I had Joker easily as my movie of the year but after finally catching Ford vs Ferrari the other night, it's my number 1 now. Maybe I'm still riding the high of watching it but much like Joker, the acting, directing, cinematography were all excellent. Seeing all those lovely GT40s:love:. Joker is a very close second now. I loved it but I felt some things could've been done better. However, Phoenix and Bale are still neck and neck (pun intended) for who had the better performance. Funny that it's Batman vs Joker again. I have Endgame a solid third. I liked Endgame of course but I felt like I knew what direction they were going in before I even sat down in the theater.

Just watched Jojo Rabbit and Once upon A time in Hollywood, got to say I really enjoyed Jojo Rabbit, a nice surprise of a film, they didn't over bake the humour, it was well balanced when you consider what the movie was about. As to Tarantino's 9th movie. Really not getting the hype on this one. A few funny moments, nothing happens for about two hours or whatever - where is this going, then extreme violence for 5 minutes. Sorry but the worst of the 9 for me.

However, Phoenix and Bale are still neck and neck (pun intended) for who had the better performance. Funny that it's Batman vs Joker again.
Ha. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right.
I loved Joker - but really just from the moment he practices for the Murray Franklin Show through the end. I really don't have much desire to watch the first 1.2 hours of the movie again.

Ha. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right.
I loved Joker - but really just from the moment he practices for the Murray Franklin Show through the end. I really don't have much desire to watch the first 1.2 hours of the movie again.
Yeah I get that. That's when the Joker we know finally emerges. Honestly, I liked the build up in the first half of the movie. It makes the payoff in the end more satisfying I believe although I definitely see where it might not work. My main problem is they made Arthur a little too feeble. At times during the movie I would wonder "How is this guy going to eventually take on the world's greatest detective?". If they made him a little more confident and formidable outside of the Joker makeup, I think it might've helped the character and made the first half work better. Another thing, I think they could've made him funnier.

I don't know. Taken outside of the context of Batman, I love the movie. Taken within the context of Batman, I still love it but not quite as much because it doesn't seem like he could believably become Batman's top nemesis.

My favorite thing...I have to say his laugh was perfect:D.

Last edited:
Yeah I get that. That's when the Joker we know finally emerges. Honestly, I liked the build up in the first half of the movie. It makes the payoff in the end more satisfying I believe although I definitely see where it might not work. My main problem is they made Arthur a little too feeble. At times during the movie I would wonder "How is this guy going to eventually take on the world's greatest detective?". If they made him a little more confident and formidable outside of the Joker makeup, I think it might've helped the character and made the first half work better. Another thing, I think they could've made him funnier.

I don't know. Taken outside of the context of Batman, I love the movie. Taken within the context of Batman, I still love it but not quite as much because it doesn't seem like he could believably become Batman's top nemesis.

My favorite thing...I have to say his laugh was perfect:D.
I agree with you on the backstory (first part of the movie) behind Arthur. Definitely needed - I just don't need to watch it over and over.

That said, I did feel the movie missed a great opportunity to make Arthur's Joker the Joker that we could see going up against Batman. It has to do with him coming off of his pills. They could have made it that the pills were making him subdued and less competent. He even makes the comment along the lines of "stopped taking my pills... I feel good". The moment he is standing behind the curtain waiting to be introduced and smoking the cigarette, it totally reminded me of the Joker in The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel. He just looks like he is plotting his next devious move. But, when he gets out with Murray, he falls back to being nervous and uncertain about himself (you see him shaking after he kills Murray). THE Joker wouldn't have acted in that fashion.

I agree with you on the backstory (first part of the movie) behind Arthur. Definitely needed - I just don't need to watch it over and over.

That said, I did feel the movie missed a great opportunity to make Arthur's Joker the Joker that we could see going up against Batman. It has to do with him coming off of his pills. They could have made it that the pills were making him subdued and less competent. He even makes the comment along the lines of "stopped taking my pills... I feel good". The moment he is standing behind the curtain waiting to be introduced and smoking the cigarette, it totally reminded me of the Joker in The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel. He just looks like he is plotting his next devious move. But, when he gets out with Murray, he falls back to being nervous and uncertain about himself (you see him shaking after he kills Murray). THE Joker wouldn't have acted in that fashion.
Couldn't agree more. You never get the sense that the gap is bridged between Arthur and the Joker or at least the Joker we know. That's why I was hoping to see more of THE Joker in Arthur earlier in the movie.

Was between joker and ford v ferrari for me, i voted for ford v ferrari tho, a true story done really well.

On a side note : Joker 2 has been announced :) Joker 2 - IMDb

I wonder if it will be out before the 2021 batman movie. Cant wait for both either way.

Endgame gets my vote! Toy Story 4 was a top contender, lots of nostalgia and my kids loved it. Got old after the ~20th time I suppose.

Jojo Rabit was BRILLIANT! I thought I was going to hate it, but came out blown away by it's originality and humor! This should have won best picture. It was much better than Parasite.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back