Vinyl-like mask making material?

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am making a mask and am trying to decide what I should cast it with. Is there a material that when cured is like very flexible plastic? Ideal would be how "cheapo" Halloween masks are made nowadays - like the president masks. Anybody know of anything like that?

Or you can do your mold out of Ultra cal and dwell your latex, get a perfect even coat and way less work. ;) Just remember to account for at least 5_7% shrinkage. Or if it only needs to be one color you can do a silicone mold and do a urethane cast. Which could be painted but not near as easy as latex.

Ok - well, first off - thanks for the replies. I've never cast anything in latex before - what is the ideal molding material for latex?

And Finhead - what do you mean by "dwell"? (Yeah, I'm new at this, LOL). The mask I am casting will definitely need painting.

I saw some people in an old post talking about smooth-on "flex foam 17" - for flexible armor, etc. Anyone use that?

Ive done latex in stone, clay and silicone molds. Trick is to tint the latex close to the base color as possible, to speed up dry time hit it with a heat gun as you brush it or do it in the sun. You can build up many layers and back it with power netting or even Burlap.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back