Done / Completed VERA KIT, (RUN IS DONE!)

Re: VERA KIT, (Firefly & Showtime)

Happy New Years everyone. Just wondering if there is an eta on this run for 2017? Any word?
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give Shawn a poke soon and see what's up. As I understand it, he's so full up with work and other stuff that it's difficult finishing bigger projects. (It' snot like you can just throw this into some silicone and be done with it if you want the results he usually goes for. ) I know he wants and intends to finish it. Another small holdup is that he's trying to find a D-LAP laser to cast, but they are extremely rare right now, possibly even discontinued. (I sent him a resin casting of mine to recast, but it wasn't a great casting to begin with... and my own metal D-LAP has some damage to the knurling due to a failed battery that I tried to remove.)

If anyone out there is desperate for an accurate Vera, I am still willing to 3d print them for a good price, though it's still obviously be a lot more expensive than the static resin copy.

Happy New Years everyone. Just wondering if there is an eta on this run for 2017? Any word?
Cheers.

Definitely have not lost interest in this project. Hope to see it moving again soon!

I would like to purchase one of your kits when available. Vera is one of my favorite props, right up there with the Oscillation Overthruster and Dechard's blaster from Blade Runner. You have done a wonderful job with this version. My best to M13 as well for I know he is an excellent prop maker. You asked in a previous post if any of us are considering using a replica receiver such as the Denix AK47. I would prefer that too, but I am not adamant about it. Thank you.

Yeah I'm keen to try use a Denix too. [emoji4][emoji106]

Some more photos of what's going into silicone soon (if it hasn't already). Things are moving forward again!

16122318_10211812094762370_733156827_o.jpg16145414_10211851591149755_1468969848_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

HA!

No sooner did I post, then I got this...

16196785_10211859662431532_1586851993_o.jpg

Thank you for not casting in the hardware. The small bits look better applied after the paint has dried.

Thank you for not casting in the hardware. The small bits look better applied after the paint has dried.

If you mean the screws, they are cast into it. There are so many of them, different types and sizes that it would have made the build more expensive in the end than a lot of folks would want- no to mention the amount of work needed to install them. For those that really want metal hardware, the cast-in screws are easy enough to grind down and drill out.

Ah, my mistake - I see now. Yes, I can easily shave them off and drill for real screws. The wide variety is a good touch, so apply my thanks for doing that. The project looks great.

So where did we land with using a Denix as the base? Will this be an option for us at all or a bit of a lost cause? Looks too complex to cut up and try shove a Denix in there. Not to mention way too pretty. Lol

Well, it's still theoretically possible but you'll have to do a lot of cutting and modding. The way that Vera is set up, it would have been very difficult (and costly) to cast all the pieces separately for fitting onto a separate receiver when most just want an almost ready-to-paint Vera. (You'd also be looking at possible durability issues with a Denix and getting the resin parts to hold, since that thing is HEAVY.) Apologies but this was the way it had to be done in the end.

For those that really want to go the airsoft/denix route I still do the full printed kits (at less than $1K now because I've been able to optimize the print jobs with new settings and printer hardware). Those parts will allow much more customization as well.

So where did we land with using a Denix as the base? Will this be an option for us at all or a bit of a lost cause? Looks too complex to cut up and try shove a Denix in there. Not to mention way too pretty. Lol

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back