Vader's Melted Helmet - Research and Build

Thanks guys! Glad you like it!

I hear you, on the 1/2 scale version, I'm still a bit undecided - unfortunately it's more pain than I thought to get the printlines out, and using a lot of fillerprimer would also destroy a lot of the detail on this scale... On a larger print, all this wouldn't be too much of a problem, and a lot more detail from the sculpt would show better in the print.
On the practical side though, I would have to cut up the model into way more pieces for a fullscale version, printtime would be insane (roughly 100 hours), and I don't want to think about the amounts of silicone and PU resin I would have to order...

Well, for now I'll finish my 1/2 scale print and will see how it turns out... put some first black colour on it, but I'm still not to happy with how much the printlines show...
15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg

and first black coat:
19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg

Thanks!

I finished painting the half scale version yesterday, now I will move back onto the 3D Model to make some improvements. I spotted a lot of missing details from the original and want to work out some of the shapes and detail I'm not happy with yet.
After that I will start printing the fullscale master... This will take ages to print!

View attachment 23.jpg

Hey guys, not much new to show - I'm putting in quite a lot more detail at the moment.. The half scale version showed me that in real life a lot more detail is needed than on the screen.

Also, I wanted to probe, how much interesst is there, if I would do a small run - also, for which version!

So, if you're interested, please write me a PM and make shure to state if you'd be interested in the full scale OR half scale, OR in either one!
I'm not shure yet if I'll make molds at all and for which scale I want to go, so I want to check if there is interest. Thanks!

All depending on price, I would want a little one or a big un, very cool piece
cant wait to see your full size version I have some old reveal bits I could stick on that big un

ok, pretty final polishing pass now - I reworked some parts to fit the original better and put in a lot more detail in general...

Good to know, Bengrim09, thanks! BTW I'm based in Europe as well, so I should mention that shipment would propably be cheapest here...

24.jpg

No, haven't heard about that - that would shure be fun!

Unfortunately my printer wouldn't be sufficient to print reasonable detail on that scale, so this will be something that has to wait until I finally get my hands on a SLA printer!
...I'd have soo many ideas what to do with one of these!

Ok, some people seem to be interested, although it very much depends on the end price, I guess... I still don't have enough people for a first run, but theres still plenty of time, since I will start printing tommorow and I estimated roughly 220-400 hours of printtime... ><

I really fell for the classic trap tomiscalculate volumes... I figured hell, double the length can't be that hard to do, right? ...only that it's times 8 the volume, so roughly 8 times as long and 8 times the material costs.. I will think this through some more...

I know it's been quiet here, but it hasn't been at my my place for some while, while my printer was working his ass off almost 24/7...

So here is a first glimpse of the full scale print, unfinished and unpolished, puzzled together only with some tape.
27.jpg26.jpg28.jpg29.jpg

Now on to a loooot of sanding and filling...
First Part so far:
LANBiceSbB6xckuWH8CJ8swupzdvDcj7Z1vX_rP65OM.jpg

I will also make a very small run from this - I'll open a thread in the Project Runs Forum today, if anyone is interested (who's not on my list yet).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back