Vacuforming Questions

That's too bad. I made some sculpts for armor out of plaster, so I hope they hold long enough to pull a good solid pull before they fail!!

That's too bad. I made some sculpts for armor out of plaster, so I hope they hold long enough to pull a good solid pull before they fail!!

Much of its integrity will depend on the ratio of water to plaster. I have made plaster bucks that seem to have set like a rock and others that have crumbled. The beauty of plaster is that it is very easy to work and whilst it is still "green" can be shaped or trimmed with no nasty dust. The problem is that if you take off too much, don't bother building it up because if it is going to break, the join is most likely the place that it will happen. For the cost, just make a new one.

If you want to make a buck that will last and can be archived as part of library of bucks, maybe consider using the plaster to make your master, take a Vac Pull of that using a pretty thin plastic, then fill that with a cheap casting resin. Then you will have a buck that will last. You can even add mesh or similar material into the resin to give it further strength.

You don't need to worry about trapped bubble unless they are on the surface. So pour some resin into the Vac Pull first, swish that around to coat the surface and then pour the rest in.

If it is a BIG part, you might want to layer the resin up in several smaller mixes so that the exothermic reaction caused when it sets does not distort the Vac Pull.

I have not done this myself yet, so just an idea. I have made all of my small bucks out of Perspex and my larger ones out of MDF. You seal the MDF with clear spray on lacquer if your worried about moister getting in and swelling the MDF.

Cool, thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I have been wanting to vac the bucks, but I think I will end up making my own table since I haven't found a good place, or reliable person here to do the pulls yet.
It was fairly easy to sculpt the plaster after pouring into a block, as long as it was still wet/green, as well as smoothing it out. I will have to fix some of the issues I have with the bottom of the duck to make it sit flat though. I didn't think of that when I was pouring the base. I added mostly, to it when it was still wet. I hope it will hold.

I am thinking of using Aquaresin for the final bucks, as soon as I get my first pulls made. I didn't use it origionally, because from my experiance, it does not sculpt at all. And it is the same price as Plaster, and twice as strong.

Thanks for the help.

Cool, thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I have been wanting to vac the bucks, but I think I will end up making my own table since I haven't found a good place, or reliable person here to do the pulls yet.
It was fairly easy to sculpt the plaster after pouring into a block, as long as it was still wet/green, as well as smoothing it out. I will have to fix some of the issues I have with the bottom of the duck to make it sit flat though. I didn't think of that when I was pouring the base. I added mostly, to it when it was still wet. I hope it will hold.

I am thinking of using Aquaresin for the final bucks, as soon as I get my first pulls made. I didn't use it origionally, because from my experiance, it does not sculpt at all. And it is the same price as Plaster, and twice as strong.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah plaster is almost fun to sculpt when it is green. Not so after it cures.

With the price of MDF, I encourage you to have a go at making your own platen and frames. It is quite easy and when I do my next set, I'll document them for all here.

That Aquaresin looks interesting. I wonder if it is available in Australia.

Yeah plaster is almost fun to sculpt when it is green. Not so after it cures.

With the price of MDF, I encourage you to have a go at making your own platen and frames. It is quite easy and when I do my next set, I'll document them for all here.

That Aquaresin looks interesting. I wonder if it is available in Australia.

Anything is....for the right price...:lol
Here, it costs about the same as plaster.
Aquaresin sets up pretty hard. I have dropped molds of it, and they barely chip.

I'll keep watching.

Anything is....for the right price...:lol
Here, it costs about the same as plaster.
Aquaresin sets up pretty hard. I have dropped molds of it, and they barely chip.

I'll keep watching.

I followed the links and found the Australian distributor and sent them an email. We'll see what they come back with. Like so many things imported, they will whack their markup, so this won't be the same price as plaster here.

I followed the links and found the Australian distributor and sent them an email. We'll see what they come back with. Like so many things imported, they will whack their markup, so this won't be the same price as plaster here.

I figured as much. Everything sent/comming from AU has a substantial markup. :thumbsdown Good luck!

As a side note: The Megladon jaw (the big shark jaw in the pics) was one of the projects I worked on when I was working for a museum. I am 6'2" tall and I can stand in the jaw! The teeth are as big as the palm of my hand.

I figured as much. Everything sent/comming from AU has a substantial markup. :thumbsdown Good luck!

As a side note: The Megladon jaw (the big shark jaw in the pics) was one of the projects I worked on when I was working for a museum. I am 6'2" tall and I can stand in the jaw! The teeth are as big as the palm of my hand.
And all made with that aquaresin? If so, that is good stuff and I want some.

And all made with that aquaresin? If so, that is good stuff and I want some.

We used Aquaresin for just about everything that needed to last for a long time. It is some of the strongest stuff (and hardest to clean up) you will use. It took quite a bit of abuse, as well. With anything, it will eventually break after a lot of abuse, but it holds up nicely.

We used Aquaresin for just about everything that needed to last for a long time. It is some of the strongest stuff (and hardest to clean up) you will use. It took quite a bit of abuse, as well. With anything, it will eventually break after a lot of abuse, but it holds up nicely.

I still have not heard anything from them so will have to follow up with a phone call. This stuff sounds like it would be the stuff I want for several projects.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the fascinating information and discussion.

I like the idea of using halogen lamps instead of the 2000w quartz heater. Do you think it would be feasible using two 1000w halogen lamps side by side for heating?

I have access to these large stage lights that get pretty hot and it sure would be convenient if I could use them for this purpose.

I like the idea of using halogen lamps instead of the 2000w quartz heater. Do you think it would be feasible using two 1000w halogen lamps side by side for heating?

I would think that would be OK so long as you are getting the area you need heated. I used four because of the price. It seems I might need to either adjust the angle on the front right (to me) or attenuate it slightly as I got a few tears of having the plastic in that corner too hot.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back