Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - NEW SUIT DONE Pics on p.17

Re: Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor

...next is the Terminator with the cyclone launcher ! :p

Actually, I've been studying reference pics of the Terminators and I'd love to make the old-school cyclone launcher. Temptations lurk around every corner for me...

Back on the current project, the question came up a while back about the possibility of crushing the forms under the pressure from vacforming. I'm not worried about it. Here's why:

What you're looking at is the edge of two different pieces. Each of them is laid up with fiberglass as much as 1/4" thick throughout. I've trusted my life to boats with thinner hulls.

Still, there's no better way to be sure than to try it out. Here's the first pull of hte collar section:

Here's the front chest piece:

I still need to close up the top and bottom ends of this piece, but the main goal was to have a pull that I can use to begin sculpting the trim pieces onto. Here's the two pieces taped together:

The seam will be easy enough to deal with and once the wings are added on there will only be a couple of inches showing on either side anyway.
I'm away from my workshop for the weekend, but hopefully I'll make some more progress on Monday.

Stay tuned...

The only draw back to this project is the size to the box you will need to send them out in :)

We've got all three parts for the torso cut apart and blocked up for use as forming bucks. The first torso has been pulled and glued together. Now we just need to trim out the edges and I can start sculpting out the trim parts.

Here's my friend Matt with the first assembled pull of the three torso parts:

Here's a quick doodle showing the positioning of the wings on the chest:

Here I am trying it on:

Over the weekend, we should be cutting up some of the other prototype pieces and getting them ready to serve as forming bucks. We also need to hurry up and get a pair of the boots together so we can start stomping around in them.

Stay tuned...

nice work as always, man. what thickness and what type of plastic are you using?

I thought I'd already mentioned this, but I'm using .040" ABS plastic. I'd like to be using .080 for some of the bigger parts, but my supplier doesn't carry it. We tried .120" but the results were less than great.

Really impressive keep building this ! As a warhammer player i say Good Job on this !!!

I am in shock and awe! You're doing what I've always wanted to do! ... They only thing you got that I don't is a shop and a bunch of friends to help work on it with me :/

I can't wait to see the continuation of the project at hand it's looking so awesome!

did see if you ever got an accurate answer on what the bit pieces were...

they are incense burners sort of things, sort of like
MC934.JPG

You may want to pay attention to Volpin's methods for this Big Daddy costume awhile back. With a chassis this large, your marine will suffer from "stubby arm syndrome" if you do not provide any method of extension.

Check out his post here: Volpin Props: Big Daddy (Bioshock)

He utilized a pulley system for the fingers akin to this: Steampunk Hand in Walkthrough by ~aternox on deviantART. I'm sure you already thought of something like this, but hope it helps!

-Arcko

I'm not really a 40k fan at all but this is a great thread and a fantastic build. Can't wait to see more progress pics

I have never played 40k myself, but I love the artwork and such and I also love the work done over at the obscurus crusade website which is where I first saw this project. Awesome job so far and I anticipate the end result.:thumbsup

I love it!!! Great job guys,
I can can hardly wait until you are
finished with this job!

thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back