Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - NEW SUIT DONE Pics on p.17

Re: Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - Finished Suit Pics on p.17

Lot of cool stuff there thorsoli
love your workshop, i have to build my vacuform machine, keep the updates coming, i will start a space marine soon, ultramarine i think

Will you be able to wear ed on your own or will you need multiple people to drive it ?

Will you be able to wear ed on your own or will you need multiple people to drive it ?

Nobody will be wearing it. It's huge:

I started building a thunder hammer for the Space Wolf:

It's not small:

I've also started on the fuzzy parts:

The colors look off because the shoulders are still bare gelcoat, the chest is in primer, and only the helmet is in Fenrisian Grey:

Finally, I've finished up the sculpt for the wolf-themed pack vents:

It took me way too damned long, but I'm happy with the finished result:

Molding the angry dog begins today:

Stay tuned...

fantastic work Thorssoli! I love that fibreglass mould it's a thing of beauty.

Looking forward to seeing ED emerge. Are you going to do a separate build thread? I think you might the first to tackle this...

I love the wolf pack bits. Really nice sculpt.

The helmet got a little bit of love yesterday:

I was worried that the Slate Blue color I was using was a bit too dark and saturated, but after a few minutes with some steel wool, I'd scuffed it up and brought out some highlights. Now it's perfect:

I've started trimming out the chest. I began with a paper template:

Then I cut a couple of copies of the template out of 1/8" Sintra, heated them in an oven, and bent them to conform to the shape of the chest:

I also added some rings and a length of hose around the neck:

Here's the whole thing with the shoulders in place:

I'll be casting a big red gemstone to go in the middle of the chest.

It was a busy day in the workshop, so I finally got the pack vent ready to mold:

Since I was setting up molds, I also boxed up the gemstone that will go in the middle of the chest and the wolf's head pommel that I sculpted forever ago:

Here's the pack vent with a print coat:

This suit is fast becoming my new favorite thing. I really need to hurry up and finish it though. I'm starting to run short on space in the workshop:

Stay tuned...

Holy Crap this is awesome! I love this build and the fact that you are making more and more of them! Are you really really sure you wont sell them? lol these are amazing!

Thanks for the compliments. I'm really having a lot of fun with this new build.

Today I made the first pair of hands from the new molds. The other hands I made were rotocast palms with separately cast fingers that I could assemble into any pose I wanted. The end result was both heavy and fragile. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but in short, it sucked. The new hands are one-piece rotocast parts. In order to cut down on the weight, I'm making them with just one pour of resin and then filling them with expanding foam to keep them sturdy. Here's the first pair of hands before I'd pulled them out of the molds:

Once the foam had set up, I pulled them out of the molds and did a tiny bit of trimming. Then I built a knife:

It's a really big knife:

While it looks silly on me, the scale will become more appropriate once the rest of the armor is on:

I can even switch the ends in order to reverse the grip:

Which is a great way to show off the pommel:

In other news, thickening has started on the mold for the wolf pack vents:

Stay tuned...

"That's not a knife. THIS is a knife!"

Brilliant!

Thorssoli, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the answer... So I was wondering... Will you ever try to create a fully articulating hand? It seems like a natural step for a guy with so much crazy talent! I hope someday to have a tenth of your vision and talent!! You're such an inspiration!!

That's a shiny knife, what to you paint it with ?

Thorssoli, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the answer... So I was wondering... Will you ever try to create a fully articulating hand? It seems like a natural step for a guy with so much crazy talent! I hope someday to have a tenth of your vision and talent!! You're such an inspiration!!

Thanks for the compliments. I've spent a lot of time trying to talk myself out of making an articulated hand for these guys. So far I'm leaning toward thinking it's just not worth the effort. The end result would be heavier than the hands I've got and the leverage would make for an exceptionally weak grip.

That's a shiny knife, what to you paint it with ?
It's vacformed in clear plastic (PETG if memory serves) and then the inside was painted with Mirrachrome. It's shiny.

Update!
Today I started the sculpt for the belt buckle:

Hopefully I'll be molding it soon.

In other news, I put together some boots. I started with plywood soles:

Then I stapled on the toe upper:

Once that was in place, it was time to add on the heel upper:

Along the way I drove a staple into my thumb. This is the first Blood Sacrifice to the Project Gods since I've started this suit:

Undaunted, I pressed on and had a pair of boots:

And because I'd built up momentum, I kept going:

Finally, the wolf pack vent mold is nearly ready for a mothermold:

A bit more work and I'll be ready to start painting more of the suilt.

Stay tuned...

lol when did one wolf suit before other projects become two ? Are the parts starting to multiply on thier own :)

lol when did one wolf suit before other projects become two?

I'm only making one wolf suit. I just had a few extra parts that look like they'll be serviceable, so I knocked them together in a hurry. As far as "other projects" go, I've always got at least a half a dozen things going on at a time. In addition to this beast and my ED-209 project, I'm working on a female 40K commissar costume which will include an armored chestplate:

And a plasma pistol:

And a re-sized chainsword:

And there's always a bunch of other stuff. But right now, the Space Wolf is the next thing I'm rushing to finish. This is the stage in the project where everything feels like it takes too long.

Stay tuned...

That is a fantastic plasma pistol. It looks spot on!

At least you don't get bored :) once ED is done are you tempted to do a robocop suit to go with it ?

Hi there !
Awesome work !
Well, a friend of mine would like to have his own space marine armor so I wondered if you sell some kits ?

Thanks !

Hi there !
Awesome work !
Well, a friend of mine would like to have his own space marine armor so I wondered if you sell some kits ?

Thanks !
If you read the early posts, Thorssoli mentions that he won't sell kits because of Games Workshop's well known litigious nature regarding their intellectual property. If you read the "scripture ribbons" on his armor you'll actually see that they mention that the costumes are not being used for profit of any kind

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back