Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - NEW SUIT DONE Pics on p.17

Re: Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - Finished Suit Pics on p.17

I haven't posted here in forever. For that, I apologize. I've been busy with a few other projects.

To make up for it, here's pictures of my helmet upgrade in progress:

So far I've made the whole thing about 3/4" taller and added about 3/4" to the snout. This makes the overall shape much closer to the shape of the miniatures.

In other news, I'll be cranking out at least two more suits over the next couple of weeks. I won't go into details yet, but one of them will need a couple of these:

Finally, I haven't posted it here, but a while back I got all three of the existing suits together for part of a photoshoot:

I apologize for the crappy snapshot above. There will be much clearer images when theyl become a little more famous at newsstands later this month: Make 32: Design for Makers

Stay tuned for updates now that I'm back to working on these guys.

Nice group shot but you need something else in it to show off just how big these guys are :)

This weekend I picked up the issue of MAKE Magazine with you on the cover.

FAN-FRICKING_TASTIC ARTICLE!!!

You are an inspiration to us all!

I hope you don't mind me plugging your website in the interview...

The cover came out pretty cool:

The guy that did the design work told me that this was the first issue where he was allowed to cover any part of the title for the magazine. That's pretty cool too.

I picked up a copy at B&N when I came across it. Awesome stuff sir and congratulations. Your suits inspired me to build mine full scale as well. And plenty of tips gleaned from all the behind the scenes stuff you've shared. So very cool.

Since I can't leave well enough alone, I also went ahead and built Captain Titus:

Here's a shot of me burning bullet holes into his loincloth:

Here's a blurry pic of me wearing the whole thing sans helmet:

With helmet:

From behind:

And scattered all over the floor:

If you're paying very astute attention, you'll notice that I re-sized the helmet a bit. I started by doing some bodywork on one of the earlier versions:

I added some length to the snout and about 3/4" of height to the bottom. The result is less accurate to the video game, but much closer to the shape of the miniatures. Here's the upgraded prototype before I molded it:

I'm happy with it.

I also sculpted out a new waist section which I slipcast in black latex. Here's the original sculpt:

And the stone mold:

The worst part: now that I've built Titus with all of the trim and fixins, I really feel like I need to go back and upgrade all of the Dark Angels with the rubber waist section and more elaborate shoulder pads. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Nice addition to the squad. Good to see you made yourself the captain :)

For what it's worth, I also did a Dark Angel with the original paint scheme from the first edition 40k rulebook:

I'm not quite as fond of that one, but the best part is the helmet and the left shoulder:

Right now I'm in the process of assembling some cleaner versions of the weapons (in the mad rush to assemble everything back in May, I never had a chance to really focus on a "showroom" version of the pistol, bolter, or heavy bolter) and then I'll need to figure out how to make the heavy bolter a little more useable. The only challenge there is that it'll make the suit even taller and wider.

I am not a Warhammer fan, but I love this build! Great use of resources. Your really brought something from fantasy into reality.

Do you have any movies planned for these? Maybe Warhammer would hire you to make a commercial for a new game or something?

OMG that 1st edition Dark Angel helmet is pure badassery. One of my all time fave helmets there.

Great builds. I definitely like the new latex mid section too.

What an amazing talent. Thanks for all the building "lessons" you're posting on here!

wow just awesome, so how many have you created by now?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back