1701669559381.png

1701669581648.png

1701669625308.png

1701669659183.png

1701669709608.png

1701669753024.png

1701669904445.png

Beautiful builds!

When it comes to the research, I never noticed the filled holes on the riveted blaster.

The scope I found to match was the Tasco 4x28 and it’s the older model. The retaining ring and lens retainers are very close matches, and if you cut it at the welded dovetail on the tube it’s the exact length you need. There IS a hole on the one in the archives, they’ve rotated it towards the gun to hide it

Beautiful builds!

When it comes to the research, I never noticed the filled holes on the riveted blaster.

The scope I found to match was the Tasco 4x28 and it’s the older model. The retaining ring and lens retainers are very close matches, and if you cut it at the welded dovetail on the tube it’s the exact length you need. There IS a hole on the one in the archives, they’ve rotated it towards the gun to hide it
Yes, you are right! There's a hole I don't know how I've missed it. And looks too large to hold a rivet of that size. Maybe the parts were glued together and the rivet was inserted in the hole and glued as well. Actually it's no so surprising as Schoppe's blaster scope must be glued (the rivet is missing) - but was not clear if they were glued after it was damaged or it was built that way.

Yes, you are right! There's a hole I don't know how I've missed it. And looks too large to hold a rivet of that size. Maybe the parts were glued together and the rivet was inserted in the hole and glued as well. Actually it's no so surprising as Schoppe's blaster scope must be glued (the rivet is missing) - but was not clear if they were glued after it was damaged or it was built that way.
very good points. I will say, when I was making my scopes I ran into so many challenges. If I ****** up a rivet, and tried to drill it out, I would start to melt the plastic cap. The ones on the prop are MUCH thinner than mine, and much more flimsy. I wouldn't be surprised if that was damage from someone trying to drill out the rivet :unsure:

I thought I'm done with the ROTJ blasters, but after posting about them I though "maybe I should actually make real resin scope brackets instead of the 3d printed to make it little bit closer to how the real ones were made. So far look very promising:
1702849052797.png

Maybe I should try also some black resin for the piston halves next and try to find some brass spacers for the stembridge

1702849178623.png

Wow! Absolutely incredible work all around. From the research to finishing. Your attention to detail is truly inspiring! One thing I noticed myself for the Stembridge is the mount is alined and angled downwards towards the front. Love your Hoth build. All ur builds are epic but Hoth has always been one of my favs. Looking forward to seeing you tackle the ANH Hero.

Wow! Absolutely incredible work all around. From the research to finishing. Your attention to detail is truly inspiring! One thing I noticed myself for the Stembridge is the mount is alined and angled downwards towards the front. Love your Hoth build. All ur builds are epic but Hoth has always been one of my favs. Looking forward to seeing you tackle the ANH Hero.
Thanks! I think I see what you mean about the Stembridge, thanks for the hint!. I'll revisit this when I find some time to swap the scope mounts with the resin ones and may reach out to you about the alignment.

Ur blasters are tops! Really impressive to say the very least.

As for the Stembridge I think when they (Stembridge Rental Company) made it they alined the screw holes for the mount to the Mauser but didn’t realize the front is actually shorter than the back on the rail itself since they obviously didn’t design it themselves. Something was off but I couldn’t put my finger on it for the longest while until it jumped out.

Heres some pics I drew up to help me see it when I was created my own parts. Hopefully you find them helpful as well. The black lines are all horizontal..
7679635C-01B5-43D2-90C0-B68481695149.jpeg
6244EF46-EECB-4080-9AB7-353FE98EEF60.jpeg

Ur blasters are tops! Really impressive to say the very least.

As for the Stembridge I think when they (Stembridge Rental Company) made it they alined the screw holes for the mount to the Mauser but didn’t realize the front is actually shorter than the back on the rail itself since they obviously didn’t design it themselves. Something was off but I couldn’t put my finger on it for the longest while until it jumped out.

Heres some pics I drew up to help me see it when I was created my own parts. Hopefully you find them helpful as well. The black lines are all horizontal..View attachment 1771060View attachment 1771061
Yes, this is what I thought it is after you pointed it out and I checked the pictures. I was looking the other picture (that is my to go reference for the Stembridge) though and noticed the angle between the rail and the upper of the mauser:
1702960876148.png

Although, here the angle of the shot may be distorting it to some degree.
Now I remember looking how the front brass thumbscrew is not centered on the mount and I was even considering adding some material to the 3d printed mount on the left side and below the thumbscrew (maybe I even added some, now I can't remember).
Now combining this with the angle and I think what might have happened is that the hole on the front side of the mount is little too big, so there is some play and the mount can rotate little around the back side screw and the front to come little lower.
I hope it's like this, because it will be really easy to adjust without redoing the whole mount.

Yes. I was thinking the same. The holes may have been drilled really wide and it’s simply pulled forward so to speak. Either way it should be a relatively easy fix.

Yes, this is what I thought it is after you pointed it out and I checked the pictures. I was looking the other picture (that is my to go reference for the Stembridge) though and noticed the angle between the rail and the upper of the mauser:
View attachment 1771167
Although, here the angle of the shot may be distorting it to some degree.
Now I remember looking how the front brass thumbscrew is not centered on the mount and I was even considering adding some material to the 3d printed mount on the left side and below the thumbscrew (maybe I even added some, now I can't remember).
Now combining this with the angle and I think what might have happened is that the hole on the front side of the mount is little too big, so there is some play and the mount can rotate little around the back side screw and the front to come little lower.
I hope it's like this, because it will be really easy to adjust without redoing the whole mount.
Keep in mind that there is another angle at play here that may be warping the interpretation here in your main reference...
1703002265212.png

The slightly toed-in angle of the scope/rail/mount relative to the centreline of the barrel (probably due to the taper of the Mauser lower) would make the scope appear to be sloped downward when viewed from the side/bottom angle like your main Stembridge reference. So while it's possible there is a downward slope to the scope when viewed from the side, this other angle will also be a factor to contend with when trying to nail down the true geometry of this thing!

Keep in mind that there is another angle at play here that may be warping the interpretation here in your main reference...
View attachment 1771234
The slightly toed-in angle of the scope/rail/mount relative to the centreline of the barrel (probably due to the taper of the Mauser lower) would make the scope appear to be sloped downward when viewed from the side/bottom angle like your main Stembridge reference. So while it's possible there is a downward slope to the scope when viewed from the side, this other angle will also be a factor to contend with when trying to nail down the true geometry of this thing!
Yes,you are right, it's hard to nail these angles, especially from a single picture. Also parts can be loose or re-assembled and things to change from picture to picture.

I mean the angle in this mount for example is pretty obvious and easy to replicate :
1703047499282.png

but for other it is really hard to tell what exactly is going on.

And I'm not really trying to nail everything it in the build - just to the point it stops bugging me :) and of course to the point where I can realistically make it with my tools and skills. For example the holes for the mount are pre-drilled, if I think they are off by little I can't change it anyway.

But nevertheless I'm curious to figure as much of these little details as possible and revisit them again if someone notices something that I've missed or a new BTS picture surfaces.

For the angle you are talking about there are just too many variables - As far as I can see the mount is fairly straight and uniformly thick and the spacers below it are also the same, but even a small difference there will be visible in the angle of the scope.
1703011824323.png

Then whatever angle happens naturally because of the shape of the mauser body should be repeated in our builds for the same reason as the steel mauser is a very good replica of the real ones.

On top of that there are a lot of parts that are probably not perfectly aligned to each other and can skew our perception how big is the angle and which part is causing it.
I think the rail is very well aligned with the mount, but from there are so many things - the scope ring can be tightened at a small angle, the scope could be tightened off center in the scope ring clamp, the front and the back part of the scope can be assembled at an angle, the scope tip is little on the side for sure, the flash hider could have some play around the barrel as well.

I can see the angle that you marked with the red lines in this and many other captures, but in others it looks pretty much parallel with the barrel and in some it even looks like the scope and the flash hider are angled away from each other:

1703012409405.png

1703012570794.png

Very hard to tell also for the other angle that chubsANDdoggers brought up - was it properly aligned during the filming?It's impossible to tell Here are the best captures I have:
1703046897524.png

Cantina_Dude ya I’ve taken that into account already honestly. But from the direct side view that tapper inwards won’t change to much of anything. At least the angle at play isn’t affected by that tapper on the mag well.

v312 keep in mind these parts are not the actual parts that where on the Stembridge itself. Bapty sent two sets over to Stembridge to build with. They only ever used one set and built one hero prop. The extra set (pictured) was rediscovered not to long ago and rebuilt on an MGC (by a member here/cant remember who off the top of my head) then sold at auction. So those parts, although a great guide, may not be exact same to the Stembridge itself? Certainly close it appears but also maybe not as we know these blasters change ever so slightly from one to the next..
IMG_6504.png
C1C19404-51AE-456F-B9C5-4871FD05088B.jpeg

For that angle I mentioned I can see it pretty clear myself here as well. But with most of this stuff u see it how u want..
B63D7C56-14AB-4583-9175-0A32EB6F8C20.jpeg

Forgive me for posting a pic of my own designed build but it shows said angle from the direct side. It’s built on a fully remodeled c96 as well. With the overlay you can see it more clearly how it lines up. My scope simply isn’t placed correctly in this pic as it’s a little to far forward..
IMG_6498.jpeg
9C05B511-4577-4DBB-BA47-515F3A1D1604.jpeg
8A2A3857-F244-4121-9B08-DD254A2E36AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I know the story of these parts. I was not implying these are the exact parts on the Stembridge - just used it as illustration as they should be quite similar from what I can tell. I don't have a good reference for the rear spacer on the Stembridge though.
There's this one :
1703099765520.png

But is hard to tell how thick is the spacer from that angle and the quality. The mount in the middle section seems to get thicker towards the back side, but I think it's just this blotchy stuff around the edge and otherwise the thickness is uniform.
1703099920303.png

Last edited:
There really isn’t a good reference photo for that back spacer of the Stembridge itself. I’m sure it exists somewhere as this Stembridge film prop also went to auction. But I haven’t seen any myself. The best we have are again of the 2nd set of parts sent by Bapty. This is that remade replica but here you can see the spacers pretty well..
IMG_8640.jpeg

Heyyy one thing that always baffled me was the chunky piece of square stock used for the rail. Is it the same scope ring base on the Stembridge?

Heyyy one thing that always baffled me was the chunky piece of square stock used for the rail. Is it the same scope ring base on the Stembridge?
It does look little chunkier on the replica, but assuming the scope thumbwheels are the same diameter the one does not look smaller relatively to the rail compared to the other.
1703267810234.png

This piece:

9C05B511-4577-4DBB-BA47-515F3A1D1604.jpeg

That piece was missing in the set of parts that Prop Store acquired, and which I assembled onto the MGC replica for them so they could auction them off. I scaled the dimensions of that part using photo reference of the screen-used Stembridge prop that Brandon provided in conjunction with the parts that I did have. Perhaps I didn't get it 100% correct, but I'm confident that I was at least 98% correct.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back