"V" - V for Vendetta

MorbidCharlie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Decided a couple of months ago that I was finally going to do the V build that I have wanted to do forever. The costume, overall, isn't that complex, but I wanted to make sure it was as close to the screen as I could get. I'll update the first post as I get each piece complete.
  • The hat - (WIP) Few different options here - will likely have it custom made so it fits properly with mask and wig.
    1590951678552.png
  • Wig - (WIP) Basic "Cleopatra" style wig that has some styling in the bangs to frame the mask better. My mother-in-law is a hairdresser and has done killer work before on my cosplay wigs, so this won't be an issue.
    1590952109969.png
  • The mask - I wanted to make sure that the mask was done right - there a few cheap versions out there, but none of them are right. I got a lucky break on EBay and was able to score one of sskunky 's masks for a fantastic price. The work on these is amazing. I don't want to attach anything to the mask directly so I am making a mesh "headband" that will go over my eyes to mask them and will wear a neck gaiter to hide my neck and jaw.
    1590952136827.png1590942495319.png1590942523877.png
  • The doublet - (WIP) Fabric has been received. Confirmed it is the same fabric used to make the tunic, sold by Hopkins Fabric in London - see post in thread. Darth Mule had done the costume before and made his own doublet and offers the pattern for sale on his Etsy page here.
    1596149500373.png
  • The gloves - (WIP) The glove style is "hand-stitched" with an extended cuff. There are a few different options to recreate these that I am looking at.
    1590952923164.png
  • The daggers - (WIP) 3D print complete. Off to have mold made.
    115876108_324142715641363_7890046293753409691_n.jpg
  • The belt - (WIP) J EM had done some work on this before, and the pattern for the leather he shared are still available. Link to the thread here. He also shared his belt buckle file, but I decided to model my own based on screen grabs. The second image of the buckle is my model overlayed on the screen grab. I'll add the middle bar once I have the leather thickness figured out. I'll model out the knife holders as well.
    1590952413439.png1590952525379.png1590952536282.png1590952599619.png
  • The cape - (WIP) This is confirmed to be a cashmere/wool blend. Nothing flashy to it, will have one of my local seamstress friends put one together for me.
    1590951626552.png
  • The pants - (WIP) Black twill pants, judging from the fabric grain. Shouldn't be to hard to find.
    1590951500183.png
  • The boots - (WIP) These appear to be customized riding boots. There's a leather accent piece over the top of the foot and the heel. I've looped in Studio Boheme' to make these for me.
    1590951355875.png1590951392770.png

Attachments

• 1590941954765.png
    1590941954765.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 368
  • 1590942419245.png
    1590942419245.png
    438.1 KB · Views: 414
  • 1590952220519.png
    1590952220519.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 390
  • 1591481492408.png
    1591481492408.png
    86 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
3D model for dagger is done. There are some slight variations in the prop daggers I have seen, primarily in the hilt handle. This is the design I went with. The gold thread will be added during finishing. Will likely mold the finished print for quick turnaround since 6 daggers are needed.

1591481088343.png
1591481210275.png

Received my fabric for V's doublet today, so, I can finally let the cat out of the bag on it's source. This fabric is from Hopkins Fabrics in London.
Historically, Hopkins has only worked with theater and movie productions - they didn't sell to the public. I was told this a number of times when I found out the fabric came from them, but I took a chance and e-mailed them and they offered to sell the fabric to me, no questions asked.
If anyone is looking to make a V doublet, this IS the fabric. I just wanted to have it in hand to make sure before I mentioned where I got it.
They don't have a catalog or way to browse any of their fabric selections, so really, this was all a great deal of luck finding it. I posted an image of the fabric in a costuming group that has a largely UK member base and one individual recognized it and pointed me to Hopkins.
http://www.hopkinsfabrics.co.uk/
1596149235879.png1596149258604.png

Quite a bit to catch up on - a lot has happened, just haven't posted any updates.
First, the mask.
The CfO mask is a gorgeous piece of work but, unfortunately, is not going to work. I have a larger head and the mask doesn't sit right on my face. Really, this piece shouldn't be used for cosplay anyway; It should be sitting on a collector's shelf. Black Mirage Studio reached out to me because he is also working on a V costume and mentioned he is doing resin casts of the mask, so I picked one of the raw casts up. It fits my face perfectly and I have been slowly working on getting this mask finished. I'll be using the CfO mask as a reference and then putting it up for sale for a proper display.

1602386728262.png1602386677921.png1602386767688.png1602386786019.png

The master for the dagger is complete and has gone over to WardCo Props for molding. I can't seem to find the picture I took of the master. Oh well.

The boots came in from Cosplay by Studio Boheme, but, unfortunately, didn't quite fit right so they are going back to have them corrected.1602386997891.png

Holidays and political madness here in the US put this project on pause for about a month.
A bit of a set back on the boots. They seem to be lost in transit back to Studio Boheme, so I'm waiting on the post office to do what they need to do in order to get a refund and have them remade.
I've been working on the mask to get the shape right. This included filling in the hair lines on the mustache and eyebrow so I can redo them more to my liking. It's impossible to get a screen accurate mask because there were so many made, but I am using screengrabs and sskunky's mask to make a "best of" look. Working on making patterns for the eyebrows and mustache to make a uniform look.

1610028094944.png

The molds were delivered from WardCo Props this week, just waiting on free time to pick up some resin to cast the daggers.
I've talked to Baron Boutique about having the doublet made. Just need to get measurements over to them.
Not much to show at this time as I am ramping back up work on V, but the ball is rolling.

Last edited:
Great thread! Been watching this one! I've looked around for the hat but haven't found anything I especially liked. Would eventually like to do a full mannequin and add my mask to it.

Great thread! Been watching this one! I've looked around for the hat but haven't found anything I especially liked. Would eventually like to do a full mannequin and add my mask to it.
Thanks! I'm looking at a few different options for the hat, but want to wait until I have the mask done and the wig styled.

Amazing thread, can’t wait to see it all together!

How did you get a hold of the fabric for the doublet? I was wanting to make a V costume as well but when I checked their site it says traders only? Doesn’t that mean you have to be a company or something? Did you have to go in person to the actual store?

Great thread, been following a few V builds and this is my favorite - I'm excited for you to see it all once it comes together!
Thanks! Somehow I wasn't getting notifications of replies to this thread.
Amazing thread, can’t wait to see it all together!

How did you get a hold of the fabric for the doublet? I was wanting to make a V costume as well but when I checked their site it says traders only? Doesn’t that mean you have to be a company or something? Did you have to go in person to the actual store?
LOL, I don't like being told I can't do something so I e-mailed them. They didn't even ask. They worked with me directly as a normal customer. Just to warn you though, it is VERY pricey for fabric.

Thanks! Somehow I wasn't getting notifications of replies to this thread.

LOL, I don't like being told I can't do something so I e-mailed them. They didn't even ask. They worked with me directly as a normal customer. Just to warn you though, it is VERY pricey for fabric.
How pricey are we talking that you have to warn?!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back