V for Vendetta

syldar

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi guys just wanted to know whether or not anyone has attempted to make an accurate version of the V costume from the Movie V for vendetta.
I am quite a fan and have done basic costumes but now i am getting serious to the pattern of the doublet and the weave of the material ( a heavy basket weave)
The mask i am using is a chinese made one that i will cut down so the hat can fit me properly.

I did this one may years ago. I have no idea where it is now. SOLD!

Anyway. I still have the doublet pattern (drafted it myself) and can point you to nearly everything else except the belt rig which I can no longer make due to lack of proper equipment.

4402788721_d203aa3730.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about doing one years ago when I got one of the DC masks but never could find the time or money to make a doublet or have one made. Very interested to see how yours turns out. Good luck!

Wow that looks amazing.
I currently need any help that anyone can offer. I have good knowledge of a lot of different things however it is only in the past while that i have been able to really fund any projects that i wanted to do.
Do you have specific sources on the belt (inc patterns and such, i know how to work with leather fairly well).
Im planning on modifying a pattern that i bought not too long ago for the doublet. Although having some extra pointers there as well will be helpful :D
The hat and mask i am currently perplexed by. I have a good chinese made mask that sits well and is well proportioned to my face unlike the rubies mask.
The hat is by callico and is extra large but it is still a bit tight on my head. Do you have a reliable source for a hat? My one bows because of my head.

The cloak im using is currently a vader cloak if you look carefully you may see the chain :p It will upgraded when i get finished with the doublet and other items.
Any help you or anyone can throw my way is appreciated. :)

The hat I got from Hatcrafters http://www.hatcrafters.com/page6.htm I got #64, the puritan and simply asked them to do it in black with a regular 1 1/2" hatband and a flat brim. Came out pretty much perfect. They make them to fit your head. Be sure to measure it with the mask and the wig on. The prices are extremely good for custom. Like $69.00 I think I paid (don't quote me on that).

Here's the same image above in its full size http://www.chrismueller.net/Pictures/misc. projects/vcollage2.jpg
You can see the belt laid out flat which will pretty much give you a pattern. The buckle I sculpted and cast in pewter (not that hard actually, I think I have a couple casts left, but they're 700 miles away in storage sadly), but I scaled it at 2 1/2" where the belt goes through. The front where the buckle is is non-functional as you can see in the pic and it hooks in the back. The screen-used is like this as well. The belt itself I made from 6 oz leather. I used 1/2" strips of aluminum that I bent to shape for the dagger holders and put in place. Then I backed the whole thing with piece of soft chap hide and edgestitched the whole thing together.

The mask I got from Sgt Fang here on the RPF and painted it myself. Also took a little reshaping.

I think the doublet is pretty easy to modify a pattern for. Its a pretty simple mod to a cavalier doublet. The trick is knowing the basics of doublet construction. That's what gives it its shape. Basically, instead of lining it with a soft, satiny fabric like most garments, doublets are lined with medium weight canvas, twill, or linen, backed with cotton batting and quilted. This creates a stiffer body. The doublet nearly stands up on its own.
The hardest part about the doublet is finding a good fabric for it.

The pants are actually Dickies and the Gloves are cut down riding gloves (his are a bit shorter than normal gauntlet style gloves).

Hope this helps.

I made a resin replicas of the knives for my outfit, if you want, I can make a set for you. I may even still have some lying around. this was my outfit.

Cool thanks for sharing your pics guys. I am currently waiting for a pattern to arrive for the doublet so i can begin modifying it.
For the daggers a set would be great if i can get them off of you wondersquid. :D
just shoot me an email on the details for them :)

my daggers are actually cardboard. I have one replica dc direct dagger, i took a picture of it and printed it out and made cardboard knives for conventions :lol

I got my wig from cosworx, they have a lot of great wigs and good prices.

I made a resin replicas of the knives for my outfit, if you want, I can make a set for you. I may even still have some lying around. this was my outfit.

I would be VERY interested in your replicas. I am trying to complete my costume as well by the end of this month and this is the first place I have seen any hope of getting these knives. Every other place I have looked is out of stock? Please let me know what I need to do.

I would be VERY interested in your replicas. I am trying to complete my costume as well by the end of this month and this is the first place I have seen any hope of getting these knives. Every other place I have looked is out of stock? Please let me know what I need to do.

I might, I made a set for a new belt, but I need to find them. worse case scenario, I'll pour you another set. PM me for a price.

Anyway. I still have the doublet pattern (drafted it myself) and can point you to nearly everything else except the belt rig which I can no longer make due to lack of proper equipment.

Do you plan on selling copies of your doublet pattern, or how can I get hold of one?

I can probably be talked into Copying the pattern. I should check to see that its all there first. But I can definitely look into it to find out what the involved costs would be. Especially if there's a lot of interest in it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back