V for Vendetta

I'm also interested in a pattern, if possible. I've found one (McCall's M4745 civil war costume, one of the jackets looks like it could be used for a doublet.) or I thought about getting simplicity's pattern 4059, but have no idea how to modify a pattern. Any help or ideas from anyone would be appreciated on how to make the doublet. Thanks.

I also used McCall's M4745 (coat A); it was put together for me by an amateur seamstress (my mother ;)) - I think we only made the collar a little wider (higher), and she modified the front slightly to put in a zipper, instead of buttons.
I am pretty happy with the way it came out, although if I had the money to pay someone to make it for me, I would have preferred to use a "hidden" zipper closure, as well as have the whole thing lined with a stiffer material, as suggested by Darth Mule (pictured above) in a previous post here on the RPF:
The trick is knowing the basics of doublet construction. That's what gives it its shape. Basically, instead of lining it with a soft, satiny fabric like most garments, doublets are lined with medium weight canvas, twill, or linen, backed with cotton batting and quilted. This creates a stiffer body. The doublet nearly stands up on its own.
(Heavier weight jacket material might make a difference, but my jacket was made of fairly soft material.)

I ordered my doublet here V for Vendetta Cosplay,Suede Jacket (C00242) because nobody I know would be able to put anything like that together.
It arrived just yesterday and altho I had some reservations, it turned out pretty well.
The only thing is that it's smooth, nowhere close to heavy basket weave... but then again, even if I found heavy basket weave, there would be nobody to put the doublet together here... *shrugs*

I ordered my doublet here V for Vendetta Cosplay,Suede Jacket (C00242) because nobody I know would be able to put anything like that together.
It arrived just yesterday and altho I had some reservations, it turned out pretty well.
The only thing is that it's smooth, nowhere close to heavy basket weave... but then again, even if I found heavy basket weave, there would be nobody to put the doublet together here... *shrugs*

Hows your doublet? Any good?

It's fine. Especially because I wouldn't have resources or patience to put one together on my own.
The neck is high and stiff. The skirt parts in front a little too widely.
Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

Also I would like to get a look on this pattern, I am now interested in learning as well as I can to do it, because I think I´ll have ONE go at it, so let´s do it :)

If it is at all possible, do tell me how to see it as well :)

I think the doublet is pretty easy to modify a pattern for. Its a pretty simple mod to a cavalier doublet. The trick is knowing the basics of doublet construction. That's what gives it its shape. Basically, instead of lining it with a soft, satiny fabric like most garments, doublets are lined with medium weight canvas, twill, or linen, backed with cotton batting and quilted. This creates a stiffer body. The doublet nearly stands up on its own.
The hardest part about the doublet is finding a good fabric for it.

Hope this helps.

Chris, thanks for all the great info in your many posts! Those belt tips are priceless. I am going to do the modified Cavalier pattern like you suggest.

Can you recommend a material for the outside please?

BTW, that hat link is dead, but the company is still there and so is the Puritan hat, now going for $92.

It's fine. Especially because I wouldn't have resources or patience to put one together on my own.
The neck is high and stiff. The skirt parts in front a little too widely.

I'm planning on cosplaying "V" for convention I'm going to in January, and I want to buy the doublet you suggested. Just curious, how do you suggest buying the size? Like, does it run big or small, etc.

Also, does anyone know of a good place to buy the hat and wig? And belt, actually. all I can find for the belt is the cheap ebay/amazon one.

I'm planning on cosplaying "V" for convention I'm going to in January, and I want to buy the doublet you suggested. Just curious, how do you suggest buying the size? Like, does it run big or small, etc.

Also, does anyone know of a good place to buy the hat and wig? And belt, actually. all I can find for the belt is the cheap ebay/amazon one.

Hey,
that Chinese shop I linked on the first page makes tailored doublets so you need to enter your measurements and you'll get your doublet in your proper size. My only problem with it was that I apparently failed to measure my shoulder width correctly so maybe you pay attention to this part in particular (afair there are pictures showing you how to take your measurements on that web page).

I'm only 90% happy with my wig so I won't link it here. Made my hat myself. The belt's been fully custom made in a collab, there are only two of the kind.

I made a resin replicas of the knives for my outfit, if you want, I can make a set for you. I may even still have some lying around. this was my outfit.

This was such a long time ago but is this still an option for anyone interested? I know I am ^_^ I'm only now going on my V costume journey! So any help would be appreciated! :)

This was such a long time ago but is this still an option for anyone interested? I know I am ^_^ I'm only now going on my V costume journey! So any help would be appreciated! :)
I do still make them. PM me for details.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hello! I'd like to know if you still wear it and if so do you have some photos of the complete costume? I've seen you post on a few V threads but never come across your full costume! I'm only now starting on my costume so all of the threads have been so helpful! I think the hardest part will be the belt for sure!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back