Using someone else's work?

FISHZILLA

I've been reading some of the posts here and I guess I'm a bit surprised at what I am seeing. Is it "OK" when starting a sculpture of a Pred head to use an existing pred head that's already been done and just modify it? I know that there is additional sculpting done, but I can't help but feel that the original piece is still lending quite a bit to the overall piece, in some cases the texture and sculptural detail is still in the piece. I've been in this hobby for quite some time and I don't really think this would be looked upon as being OK. I can understand if it's being done to make a one off, but not with a piece that castings will be sold.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Fish

So if I wanted to do a new pred sculpt I should just pick out one of the heads made here and use it as a starting point? The whole look and feel of the bust would be from the original bust with that work being done by someone else.

You are referring to the King Pred sculpt which was sculpted over a Howard bust, is that right? The King Pred was completely redone to the point where you can't even tell it was a Howard bust anymore. I have seen this with heads and Bios and I don't have a problem with it. Some people might get their panties in a knot if the design isn't changed enough, but then we get into semantics. How much should be changed, or if it should be changed at all to be considered acceptable by the original designer. Thats a debate that we could argue into the wee hours of the morning...

Ive not been here long ,and the hobby is new to me but as an artsit, my views are this, when u see something u put alot of work into ,changed and modified and claimed as someone elses WITH NO CREDIT TO YOU is completely wrong, makes you feel cheated like someone stole all the hours and thought you put into the piece like stealing the pride u got from your work , but as an artist, and what we do is art whether sculptor painter writer thinkers tinkerers ,and sometimes we are inspired by people, MOVIES, writers places characters and we put our own takes on them, for instance in all reality to my knowledge no here has the rights to make predators for resale they are PROPERTY OF FOX how many people cut a check to fox every sale ???? but thats not what im getting at , if a "piece" inspires creativity in you ,you spend your money on it , and you want to pour yourself artistically into it, you should be able with no judgement as long as you tell the origins or your inspiration credit were it is due ,i dont think it would right to mass produce them , but i also dont think its wrong if you wanted to sell your only unique modified piece as long as you say it origins to the buyer . As an aritst of any walk when u put your soul, your expression out there , u may inspire creativity in others , and they may want to duplicate the feeling you gave them when they saw your piece . bottom line dont steal,
give credit ,open your mind

im not exactly against it but if the person changed it clearly stated that it used to be another persons work giving them some credit it wouldent be so bad

Ive not been here long ,and the hobby is new to me but as an artsit, my views are this, when u see something u put alot of work into ,changed and modified and claimed as someone elses WITH NO CREDIT TO YOU is completely wrong, makes you feel cheated like someone stole all the hours and thought you put into the piece like stealing the pride u got from your work , but as an artist, and what we do is art whether sculptor painter writer thinkers tinkerers ,and sometimes we are inspired by people, MOVIES, writers places characters and we put our own takes on them, for instance in all reality to my knowledge no here has the rights to make predators for resale they are PROPERTY OF FOX how many people cut a check to fox every sale ???? but thats not what im getting at , if a "piece" inspires creativity in you ,you spend your money on it , and you want to pour yourself artistically into it, you should be able with no judgement as long as you tell the origins or your inspiration credit were it is due ,i dont think it would right to mass produce them , but i also dont think its wrong if you wanted to sell your only unique modified piece as long as you say it origins to the buyer . As an aritst of any walk when u put your soul, your expression out there , u may inspire creativity in others , and they may want to duplicate the feeling you gave them when they saw your piece . bottom line dont steal,
give credit ,open your mind

Agree

My view is this,,, if the original artist says it's ok....then its ok, when showing what you have done, give credit where credit is due. If you can't get said"ok" from original artist....I would say "don't do it". For this reason: alot of work goes into building a sculpt into something you can start putting details to! At the very least this IMO is standing on someone else's shoulder's to accomplish what you want. A shorycut, cutting out the some very ,very hard work it requires to do a sculpture. I really don't feel i would have the scense of accomplishment when its done that i would if i were to do it from scratch. I'm not putting anyone down or calling anyone a recaster....anything like that! I think the pred king is awesome...looks great!!! But it is what it is.Like i said...this is just some bozo's opinion (me).

IMO i feel that if you want to change something enough to be able to call it your own, then why not!
Always and as long as you do give credit from where you started it from.
but also IMO ask the artist first for permision to use their work for your own project,
which i say is not only courtesy, but the right thing to do, and i am sure that a higher percentage of people(on the lair)will not mind this..

Back in Art school doing illustrations and paintings when we were told to use photo references of subjects to get ideas for lighting etc, when we use heads of actual people we were encouraged to change it and use it creatively like piecing things together so that it's not an obvious copy so that we don't run into copyright issues.

IN sculpture its easy to change over an existing sculpt.
I think its best to change it to your own style, interpretation etc. to the point where the original work is not easily identifiable.
Otherwise its just a "mod."

I see it as plagiarism unless the starting piece is totally unrecognizable. Like some of the bio helmets made, that turned into the Boars and stuff.

I personally believe it is OK to use it as a base to sculpt off of as long as the final piece is absolutely different and unrecognizable to the host piece.
To sum it up you would need to cover the entire surface of the host piece in clay in order for it to be an independent creation.

I am no authority by any means.
This is just my personal opinion. I'm sure you will find many others. People tend to accept the opinions that align with their agenda and disregard the others.

interesting takes on this. My experiences have led me to a couple of interesting views of this. In advertising there is a lot of imitation. If something is working create something like it. This also can be implied in sigs as well. As I haven't tried my hand a sculpting, I cannot comment on that, but as an artist i can say that I am honored if someone uses any art I have created as a starting point. We all have our starts somewhere, and you build on that, soon creating your own art and identity.

Now having said that, I do have a problem with blatant copying. (ex. recasting). For me it falls down to how the art is being used.

To each his own though.

(NOTE*: if i have used anyones art in a sig that didn't like how it was used I respect your view and will correct it. send me a pm)

Sounds like plagiarism to me???

WEBSTER DEFINES PLAGARISM
PLAGARISM 1. the unauthorized use or close imitation of the LANGUAGE andTHOUGHTS of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.
WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT WRITERS AND IF THATS YOUR THOUGHT, THAN YOU ARE A PLAGARIST, AND WE ALL ARE IF YOU EVER HAVE MADE ANYTHING PREDATOR BECAUSE U DIDNT CREATE THE PREDATOR THAT WASNT YOUR IDEA OR THOUGHTS AND I KNOW YOU DONT HAVE PERMISSON .BECAUSE WE ALL ARE MAKE COPIES OF SOMEELSE IDEAS ....
I AM AGAINST RECASTING AGAINST CLAIMING ANOTHERS WORK AS YOUR OWN ,

thats like saying if you buy a P1 or P2 raw it has to be made EXACTLY accordingly , you cant no flair no personal touch or people will complain bitch and gripe ,what alot of people fail to realize that once a purchase is made , the property is YOURS no longer ,the WORK the ART is but now that personcan do whatever the hell they want now a person with no moral fortitude will try to change and it make and claim it as there own , but a good guy will be like yea i bought this mask from so so and added my own touch, stealing is wrong but creativity should strive

WEBSTER DEFINES PLAGARISM
PLAGARISM 1. the unauthorized use or close imitation of the LANGUAGE andTHOUGHTS of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.
WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT WRITERS AND IF THATS YOUR THOUGHT, THAN YOU ARE A PLAGARIST, AND WE ALL ARE IF YOU EVER HAVE MADE ANYTHING PREDATOR BECAUSE U DIDNT CREATE THE PREDATOR THAT WASNT YOUR IDEA OR THOUGHTS .BECAUSE WE ALL ARE MAKE COPIES OF SOMEELSE IDEAS ....OPEN YOUR MIND MAN

WE ARE ARTIST,EXPRESSIONIST TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAND IN THERE VAGINA'S ,TOO MANY PEOPLE TRYING TO STAMP OUT THE CREATIVE FIRES

I strongly suggest you watch how you speak to other members on here, just because your opinion differs to someone else does not merit such a response, any more of it and you will receive a warning.

The question was NOT about the PREDATOR design, it was about using someone elses work as a base, it is hardly being creative by using someone elses work as a base for their own. Unless hugely modified, in which case why not start from scratch?

Keep this civil or it gets locked down.

usurper brother , i meant no harm and im sorry came so strong , and i agree but the "hugely modified " was the point like the pred king u know that guy put alot of work into that mod he should deserve some credit right even though it was sculpted on a howard s bust , i was only trying to state facts and my beliefs and i meant no harm i thought i could do that here brother , but i do understand kinda came across strongly i still believe what i said as the truth but i should have delivered differently my bad

look its fine, it would be double standards for me to say id never typed anything on the spur of the moment.

like i try to do , just think eh

As for the whole credit thing, like colin says ALOT of bios we love from the films that were made by people here start off as a P1 underneath, yet are barely seen in the end.

Masks/busts are slightly different ( again this maybe double standards ) but the masks/busts are not as generic, personally i think if you are going to change the mask/bust so much you can not recognise it, then why not start from scratch?

Just a opinion, but i guess there are too many lazy people about, who would rather have a head start, than sit down and do it from scratch.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back