UPDATED: my first Predator costume

dsaint1965

Greetings everyone,
Here is my first attempt of a head sculpt. I am not sure how it will turn out. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

2010_12_21_16.JPG

2010_12_21_10.JPG

Update:
I've redone the sculpt of the head and I think this is much better.

2010_12_22_05.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
nice roughing out ..hard to give much critique without knowing what you are going for ie. Classic Pred or your own creation ..only critique of value I may suggest is that the crown may need to be extended up and back a bit more ... great start ..keep those pics coming

Thank you ptgreek, for the comments. I am aiming for the P1 and/or P2 and using it as my basis.
Since I posted the pic, I've adjusted the crown as you've suggested even before I read your reply... sometimes it is good to move back away to see if what I'm doing is close to the model I am making.

Thanks again.

Thank you ptgreek, for the comments. I am aiming for the P1 and/or P2 and using it as my basis.
Since I posted the pic, I've adjusted the crown as you've suggested even before I read your reply... sometimes it is good to move back away to see if what I'm doing is close to the model I am making.

Thanks again.looking good here is some thoughts i have made a few head sculpts keep in mind if this is a mask you will need to be able to see out of it be careful you don't have too much blind spots on the sides and if you are planning on using a bio helmentheep in mind your dimensions width and depth and look at it from all sides and don'r be afraid to walk away for a while . you would be surprised how much that would help.

holy crap... I didn't mean to ignore your reply, The Priest... for some reasons, I have not gone back to see my post. Sorry.

Thank you for the comments. Learning something everyday.

cheers

:p

Just keep plugging away , try and find pictures from different angles to give yourself a good perspective of the side of the head, you will easier see lengths and shapes or certain areas. :p

good luck.

Thanks Usurper.

I've re-done the sculpt and have progressed further to the point I already toying with a cheap airbrush. These are all first attempts so forgive me if it is not that good.
2010_12_29_01.JPG

2011_01_16_04.JPG

2011_01_16_12.JPG

I thought I create a "skull" inside the mask to hold its shape. I will insert this inside and figure out how I can keep it on my head. I will probably create a plaster mold of my head and create a helmet to glue this "skull" and my helmet.

2011_01_18_03.JPG

To make sure the biomask is going to fit the mask, I used the same clay sculpt of the mask and re-used it to make the sculpt of the biomask.

2011_01_22_02.JPG

Here I am trying on the "shades" I bought from a dollar store. It will fit perfectly once I'm done work on the biomask.

2011_01_23_10.JPG

Just showing the bio after I've applied bondo filler. I'm currently sanding this and will be doing a bit of adjusting on the thickness of the plaster... some areas are too thin and my sanding is going thru the plaster.

2011_01_26_11.JPG

Again, first attempt with airbrushing.

2011_01_26_17.JPG

I'm not sure how it will turn out. At this point, these are all experimenting.

2011_01_26_28.JPG

2011_01_26_40.JPG

I'm not done with the airbrushing. The next day, I purchased a more decent airbrush (Aztek) and I will apply the details (freckels) on the mask and some more details in the mouth. I have not had the chance to use the new airbrush yet. The pics results on that is coming soon.

The only thing I've always have problem with (to be biologically accurate) is why the insides of Predator mouth will have a pink/reddish shade??? Their blood is luminescent green... the insides of mouth should be of green shade, correct? I just thought I'd ask but it's no big deal for me since this is just fiction. I just thought I'd throw that question in.

I hope you enjoy the pics. I also would appreciat any feedbacks. Many of the techniques I've used came from this group. Good thing there are groups like this one to learn how to pursue your hobby.

More power to the lair.

You work fast!!! Keep it up your kicking ass buddy!

Go google some pictures of animals/repitiles and such and maybe you can come up with some inspiration for a cool paintjob? Maybe steal a few elements and add them in?

You work fast!!! Keep it up your kicking ass buddy!

Go google some pictures of animals/repitiles and such and maybe you can come up with some inspiration for a cool paintjob? Maybe steal a few elements and add them in?

Hi MEANGENE... thanks for the comments.
Not fast enough man, I wish I can be faster... at times I'm just too tired from work to do anything when I get home.

Yup... been checking out some pics here in the lair and other sites... I must say, it's really fun once you get started.

Have a great day. I have to get back to work... hehehehe

btw: thanks for adding me to your list.

more updates
2011_02_22_08.JPG

2011_02_22_12.JPG

I just finished my laser sight and it will soon be in my biomask. It cost me a $1.00 for each laser pointer at a dollar store.

Really cool! How did you wire up your laser pointers?

Hi bones9,

I apologize for not responding sooner. Haven't been logging in a lot lately. Just too busy at work.
I followed a tutorial in youtube.com on how to put together the 3 lasers I bought. I was trying to look for the link but can't find it. It was definitely in youtube where I found the instructions.

cheers

Thank you, and nice mask, i think was very hard

Thank you tomibraniste. The most difficult part is finding the time to keep doing this. I'm torn between family, work, and this hobby... in that order. So guess how much time is left for me to work on this... not much. However, made some progress in the past few weeks. I will post new pics here once I had the chance.

cheers mate

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back