Ultra Cal 30 and Sculpt mold release

damagecase

Do you use a mold release over a sculpt when using Ultra Call 30? I'm working on a pred mask sculpted out of firm klean klay and am wondering if you use a release on the clay sculpt like say petroleum jelly or pam. I've read that these are used on resin reproductions and I was just wondering if the were used to get the sculpt from the mold cleanly as well. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've not heard of anyone needing a mold release on the clay. The stuff I've known people to use is Krylon's Cristal Clear and then Dulling Spray. The dulling spray is said to help the detail coat stick better to the sculpt.

My experience is with Hydrocal and have never sprayed anything on the sculpt itself. The only time I've used a mold release in when doing two piece molds. Petroleum jelly on the contact areas between the halves.

I've used alcohol and a brush to clean any remaining Klean Klay out of the mold that wouldn't come out with a wooden tool.

This is my most recent experience with slightly different techniques on my part:
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...c=21589&hl=

As far as the resin reproductions, I only use mold release sparingly. I've found that with the detail that slicone copies, the mold release will actually show up in the mold details.

Hope this helps.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back