Ultimate Prototyping machine

motivealloy

I just caught this commercial on TV. It's the Craftsman Compucarve (it's the same thing as carvewright). Forget about wood carving, this thing would be a great tool for making models or props. Create pieces on your computer and bam you have a model or prop. You just need to get over the $1800 sticker price. B)

I have downloaded the software and started playing with the software. Just need to get the wife to say OK. :/ I keep getting you don't spend enough time with me line.

Cool piece of machinery.. looks like it can work with sheets of styrene too. It would be neat to get some samples to see how finely detailed the output can be.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeneralMayhem @ Jan 8 2007, 05:34 PM) [snapback]1393050[/snapback]</div>
Brings back memories of watching them carve half of Darth Vader's face for the new helmet.
[/b]
That's no good memory... shudder. :eek

Though... I bet it couldn't do a scaled accurate OT Vader helmet. :p

I was reading some forum notes about this thing. Sounds like they are still working quite a few of the bugs out.

I'm intrigued that the length is pretty open ended. I would like to know more about the programming and just how detailed it can get. Right now it looks like its ability is somewhat limited.

I think the Roland Scanner/Mill would be a better purchase (even if its more expensive). I was pretty damn impressed with what Jon Allit was producing out of his.

-Gary

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(asok @ Jan 7 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]1392669[/snapback]</div>
Just need to get the wife to say OK. :/ I keep getting you don't spend enough time with me line.
[/b]

That's what retirement is for. ;)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back