TZA RC Fixer Build Thread

Night 23... I think...

I had to move one of my couplings in the side pods as it would twist the antenna too much. that took almost an evening to tweak that assembly (that epoxy is STRONG).

Tonight I was able to do some electronics in the antenna. The previous night I put some ABS strips staning up and drilled a hole so that the LEDs could stay in position. I figured out after some testing that the LED do not cascade off each other (connected serially), so all three have to be connected directly to the source (parallel). Once that was figured out, I was able to get a light test done... the power source is going to be in the pod (wiring is going through the PVC pipe / coupling.

DSC02541.jpg

DSC02546.jpg

I was also able to attach the backpack to the back armor... Still some tweaking to ocur there (make the adding/removing easier). I also have to connect the back armor to my harness system to avoid the whole backpack pulling my front armor up way to much.

DSC02548.jpg

DSC02549.jpg

DSC02551.jpg

Time was taken a bit with various things this weekend.

I was able to actually finish assembling the antenna assembly for the backpack. As suggested by a few, I blocked one of the light panels on the assembly. I covered it with a piece of ABS plastic painted gray.

DSC02561.jpg

I also finally found a way to create the lighted "tube" on the left side of the assembly. I used a piece of that same vinergar plasitc bottle and trimmed it enough and glued it together so that it forms the part perfectly. I added a side ABS piece at the bottom to reflect most of the light back up to make sure it looks good.

DSC02554.jpg

And finally the system lit up. I still have to finish epoxying the assembly then sand then do some glazing putty. Hoping to finish that tomorrow so that the paint can go on it.

DSC02557.jpg

DSC02559.jpg

No pictures but a lot of work nonetheless.

The antenna assembly was primed with grey, and painted black since Wednesday. Wanted to put the final coats of white yesterday, but the black was still a bit tracky for some reason (even after drying in the house for about 24 hours). It will / has to be done today.

Trimmed the knee armor a bit in order to avoid it hitting the quad armor while standing/ walking. After trimming them, I did the first part of the leather/magnet assembly on the knee armor. After the glue dried, did a test walk with the quad armor and success, they do not hit! There is some clanking that occurs ans the knee floats a bit too much, bot the other side of the magnet / leather strap was not glued on the shin, so I hope that will be addressed. I also have an idea of slightly trimming the shin armor… remove the small lip I left all around the armor (makes it look thicker) just at that area to make it snug.

Assembled the extra armor on the right shoulder. Added a bit of padding between them and it is attached with Velcro (it’s nice and snug).

While working on the number plate, I ripped part of the acetate that was in place as well as scratch the clear plastic “window”. I have to replace all of that now (crap).

What’s left;

- Paint the antenna white
- Paint the pods white with another coat
- Install lights on left pod
- Re-assemble number box / install lights
- Finish touch up paint on helmet (black trim)
- Finish padding in helmet
- Install strapping for hand / elbow armor
- Finish shin/knee assembly
- Finish shoes

All of that before 2:00pm Tomorrow (leave for parade at that time). Hope everything holds!

Burned the midnight oil last night. I stopped at 2:00am so that I could some sort of rest before I walked the 4+km route today in the suit.

The priming was done previously.

DSC02562.jpg

DSC02564.jpg

Put the straps and sme padding into the elbow armor

DSC02566.jpg

Did a test fit with the pods and backpack together, Also redid my number plate (I scrwed it up the previous night

DSC02568.jpg

DSC02569.jpg

DSC02570.jpg

Glued the second part of the magnets/leather straps to the shin

DSC02571.jpg

Then did a full backpack test (it's going to be heavy)

DSC02576.jpg

Finished the painting trim on the helmet.

DSC02577.jpg

I worked on the shoes as well, but nobody wants to see the shoes...

Hope everything holds well during the parade. I'll post some pics on the first suit up (later today).

So yes the project is "complete". A labor of love at certain points / sometimes grounds for a divorce (LOL), but worth it (if I judge by the reactions of some from the 100,000 people on the parade route).

First troop is always the hardest (quite a few things to do to tweak it to make it easier to move and what not). On top of that, it was the first time I wore it complete. Before that, only certain parts were on. I noticed that I have some "drooping" on the right shoulder. The extra armor piece on the shoulder is putting some strain on the shoulder bracket. Have to fix that.

Like a garrison mate, said just before the parade started, either I was brave or extremely stupid to "test" this in a parade by walking with no prior tests done before. But he also stated that it's the best way to do it. And I agree. It could have been really embarrassing if something would have broken while walking, but I was somewhat confident in the build (years of experience I guess).

While getting undressed, one of my shoulder straps from the backplate broke. It's a 30 min fix at best, but I was half expecting it. My friend Rob, that helped me at various stages during the build, and I had been talking about it before the parade that that specific area should be re-enforced. Well, it is something to do before the next troop.

Here are some pics

DSC02580.jpg

DSC02589.jpg

DSC02592.jpg

DSC02639.jpg

I'll tell you one thing though, my shoulders are killing me after that troop. The backpack is heavy LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

I've only worn the suit once, but while un-suiting at the end of the troop, one of the shoulder strips snapped (at least it was after the parade).

DSC02724.jpg

Was I upset when it happened? Absolutely not. It happened at the end of the event (first time wearing, with no pre-walking trial done), and the suit just rocked. Now that I get to wear it again (Vader and the scout are taking a much deserved break).. time to fix it up and make more mods.

I re-enforced the back-straps to prevent twisting.

DSC02726.jpg

DSC02727.jpg

I had the piece that snapped off, so I just re-attached it to the backplate (and re-enforced).

DSC02729.jpg

Also got working on new shoe straps. These are much thicker than the other ones I had before (made out of craft-foam). They will be re-enforced with vinyl in the back).

DSC02732.jpg

Tomorrow, some more dremelling (hate armor bites).

Here are some photos taken during a photoshoot. I realize the bicep armor was put on the wrong way only after the photoshoot. The armor has since been dirtied.

Wrong blaster, but the look is just fantastic.

APA_501_270_2012-04-29_14-38-12.jpg

APA_501_256_2012-04-29_14-34-42.jpg

APA_501_265_2012-04-29_14-36-40.jpg

APA_501_258_2012-04-29_14-34-59.jpg

Wow a great build there buddy, I,m building a TZA Fixer also, its a challenge for sure but I,m getting there, Im making mine more battle worn. I too had a shoulder bell missing and couldnt get a replacement from the supplier so had to find a pair of bells from somewhere else. I,m about half way through my build and will be adding it to this site soon.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back