TZA RC Fixer Build Thread

Taloss77

Greetings all,

I completed this build a while back, but decided to post here in case other people are looking for ideas on certain builds.

After sitting on my behind for far too long, really started working on it tonight.

Workspace
DSC02145.jpg

DSC02146.jpg

Here is one thing I wanted to work on

DSC02150.jpg

Tonight was trimming. I tackled cutting the visor for the helmet as well as work on the back of the helmet (try to bring more definition)

As I was losing some of the natural light, I switched to some rough sanding on the pieces I trimmed. All sanded pieces look and feel great. Here are the pieces that are all pretty much ready for the next phase (glueing).

DSC02160.jpg

DSC02163.jpg

DSC02164.jpg

Still have the upper and lower legs to do as well as the back armor and the dreaded backpack.
newthread.php

DSC02161.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

I tested a new plastic weld / epoxy. It's not the devcon that has been recommended, but it's closest thing I have here up in Canada. I'm hoping it does the same thing. *crosses fingers*

DSC02167.jpg

Hoping to work on it more tomorrow / this weekend.

Later,

- - - Updated - - -

Second day of really working on RC (Thursday to Saturday,busy with Real life stuff).

Today was more of cutting and sanding in natural light.

I started at 11:00am. After cutting, sanding, cutting sanding and more sanding, I finished doing the whole suit (backpack included), and finished at 3:30pm with no breaks. I still have to do the extra Fixer parts on the backpack, but I was starting to make mistakes in the sanding department... time for a break.

Armor ready for next step
DSC02168.jpg

Ventillation cuts
DSC02172.jpg

Leftover armor bits
DSC02169.jpg

After cleaning the garage (and myself...I looked like a snowman) I proceeded in getting some of the glueing done. I would have glued more, but ran out of clamps (need to buy more I guess).

DSC02175.jpg

Next step is to assemble forearms and upper leg armor. A stated before, need more clamps, and now more plastic weld since my tests worked well.

- - - Updated - - -

Second day of really working on RC (Thursday to Saturday,busy with Real life stuff).

Today was more of cutting and sanding in natural light.

I started at 11:00am. After cutting, sanding, cutting sanding and more sanding, I finished doing the whole suit (backpack included), and finished at 3:30pm with no breaks. I still have to do the extra Fixer parts on the backpack, but I was starting to make mistakes in the sanding department... time for a break.

Armor ready for next step
DSC02168.jpg

Ventillation cuts
DSC02172.jpg

Leftover armor bits
DSC02169.jpg

After cleaning the garage (and myself...I looked like a snowman
newreply.php
) I proceeded in getting some of the glueing done. I would have glued more, but ran out of clamps (need to buy more I guess).

DSC02175.jpg

Next step is to assemble forearms and upper leg armor. A stated before, need more clamps, and now more plastic weld since my tests worked well.

3rd night of work.

I figured it would have taken me about 20 mins to glue everything I wanted... Wrong. Lots of tweaking required to try and fit it right. I was trying to minimise bondo work. Well there will be some required. So after that realization, I went ahead with the closest seems I could.

Quads and Biceps (one side) Magnets will hopefully keep everything together

DSC02176.jpg

DSC02177.jpg

Worked on prepping other armor bits for gluing (Bicep armor)

DSC02181.jpg

Also worked on trimming the communications box for a tighter fit (I had it too low before). That took some time. Picture does not do justice.

DSC02179.jpg

No work tomorrow on armor, softball playoffs. Hopefully I can knock a lot more on Wednesday.

Okay!

Night 4.

Got a late start on this so lost some vaulable natural light. It was more of finishing my upper leg armor and gauntlets. Well, it took some time as I had to clean the epoxy glue from the previous session so that I could get some tight seams. I also glued my bicep armor. That went pretty quick and the seams are really small.

DSC02182.jpg

DSC02183.jpg

After that was done (and I cleaned my hands becasue for some reason they were covered in the glue), I proceeded to start sanding my helmet. There is still some work to be done on it but I wanted to see if I could get rid of the seam in the middle. Looks good, maybe an hour more on this and it should be ready for primer. I also notice that the right side (when facing the helmet) seems a bit high. More sanding there will be required.

DSC02187.jpg

Tomorrow it should be working on back butt plate and upper back armor (and extensions to make it seamless). May also start work on the backpack assembly.

Okay Night 5.

Worked exclusively on the helmet (yet again). I think i have over 20 hours on the helmet alone, but it's looking good. I opened the side vents on the helmet. I still have to finish some of the sanding as they look a little rough around the edges. I opened the left side, where the circle used to be, to enable me to put some electronics in the communications pod).

DSC02325.jpg

Speaking of communications pod, I took some dowels, sanded the tips into a round end, and drilled some holes in the comm box. I'm making the antennas removable to facilitate transportation. Inside the comm box, there is a platform that will have velcro, and some at the bottom of the antennas. The holes are really snug, but figured just having the velcro there will hold the antennas where I want them. And yes, I put a lot of epoxy in there as I don't want it to move at all LOL.

DSC02327.jpg

DSC02328.jpg

I still have to finish sanding the upper legs and the bicep armor and get it ready for some glazing putty.

DSC02323.jpg

DSC02322.jpg

DSC02324.jpg

Night 6.

I was able to do a little bit of work tonight.

I finished working on the helmet (trimmed/sanded the bottom of the helmet, finish sanding the side vents). I glued the box with epoxy (almost forgot the velcro part on the shelf inside the comm box).

DSC02337.jpg

DSC02338.jpg

DSC02339.jpg

I also added side plates on the lower armor. Still debating in making in one piece or attached by magnets. I'll make a decision sometime this weekend.

DSC02341.jpg

I also prepped the backpack so that I can work on it this weekend. Still have to assemble the lower leg armor as well and finish the shoulder bell (still missing one, hoping to have the second one in my hands soon).

Day 7 (almost a week late since the work was done...sorry!)

Bondo / Glazing putty / Shin armor assembly day. A garrison mate, Rob T. gave me some huge help that day!

After wrapping up some detail work on the helmet, Bondo was finally applied to the comm box / helmet.

DSC02342.jpg

- I put some bono glass on the upper leg armor

DSC02343.jpg

- Started the lower body armor assembly.

DSC02344.jpg

- Gauntlets and bicep armor have been sanded and are ready for primer

DSC02345.jpg

- Shin armor. Decided to go with a magnet assembly for the shins. I had to trim the armor to make them more my size (they looked to big). After measuring a few times, we proceeded in cutting the shins and magnets holders (and shims).

DSC02346.jpg

DSC02347.jpg

DSC02348.jpg

Once the epoxy dried, I did a test fit... Although the system (not fully complete) works... it's really uncomfortable to walk...and the knee armor is way to close to my knee/upper leg. Yes, I did the cardinal sin of not checking after the first cut... I cut too much. Now, I will have to re-extend the front side of the shins.

Sigh... more work.

Day 8

I wanted to get starting on some primer. Gives me a sense that things are moving forward.

Finished sanding the glazing putty for the armor (Upper Legs) and actually put some glazing putty on the helmet.

DSC02349.jpg

DSC02351.jpg

As I was letting this dry, I worked on the backpack. Yes, I finally started really working on it. It was the thing I was dreading the most for this build, yet so far, it's pretty strait forward. Mind you I've only added the shims on one side, but I think it will end up lining up nicely (I hope).

DSC02353.jpg

I took a lunch break, then came back outside to sand the helmet and hopefully prime the armor that is ready. Sanding the glazy putty was pretty strait forward. I made sure to use the finest sanding paper I had and took my time. I had some nice, seamless "bond" between the helmet and the comm box.

DSC02354.jpg

DSC02355.jpg

On with the primer!!!
newreply.php
newreply.php
newreply.php

DSC02357.jpg

DSC02358.jpg

Helmet looks real good.

DSC02359.jpg

DSC02360.jpg

Tomorrow is hopefully finish the primary assembly of the backpack and start shimming the shin armor.

After real life getting in the way for a considerable amount of time, I worked on more sanding Saturday (the primer hilighted a few area to work on). It was too cold to put some finishing bondo / primer.

I also trimmed my new chest piece and back (I had gotten a small set instead of the bigger set). I also worked on trimming the backpack shimes to ensure a good fit. I was about to assemble the handles on the backpack when I noticed something else missing from the suit. It's missing the ammo pod detail pieces on the backpack where the handles connect. Sigh...

I also worked on the lower abdomen armor. Remeber those extra pieces I glued to extend the back to the front? Well, losing 20lbs during this build, the shims are way to big. Now the armor almost reaches without them (That's a good thing). Chest and back almost reach as well. Newer chest and back acutally cover the huge gap I had between the lower abdomen armor and upper chest.

Also tested the shin again. after some minor tweaking, looks like I don't have to re-extend them anymore. I made a small mistake by not trimming the knee armor enoguh (problem one) and two, trim slighty the shin armor so that it sits a bit lower (so calf muscle fits nicely in the claf are on the armor).

So Saturday was a positive day. I just have to figure out how to attach everything now. That, and lots of painting.

Night 9.5 (since some work was done prior)

After all the sanding done during the weekend,

DSC02388.jpg

I glued the detail bits (aerators and mouth piece).

DSC02387.jpg

I also glued the resin piece on the gauntlets

DSC02391.jpg

I also worked on trimming the elbow pieces to be as close as possible the the shape of the gauntlets. I also trimmed/rough sanded the extra pieces for the backpack (the ones for the Fixer backpack details). These will be glued together tomorrow. Also started the work on the one shoulder bell to recess the resin piece inside of it. That should also be assembled/glued tomorrow *crosses fingers*.

More work tonight... not much but important nonetheless

Worked on the recessed box for the shoulder bell. Learned a few things while doing this. should help when I do the second one.

DSC02392.jpg

DSC02393.jpg

I proceeded in sanding the gauntlets more (the glue itself) and they look very promising, the rest can be fixed with glazing putty

DSC02396.jpg

Worked on the backpack to the armor back assembly. I mis-measured here. I tried to keep the keystone in the center, forgetting that the top on the holder should be in the middle. So I had to redo this part. I filled the first holes for the back with the amazing glue/filer I've been using throughout this build. God this stuff is great.

DSC02399.jpg

DSC02398.jpg

Saturday is the big push day. Should finish assembly of the backpack and should be bondo'ed and primed hopefully by the end of the day. Rest of the suit should hopefully have some white applied to it (after the primer and the black).

Day 11. More work today.

I did not go as far as I wanted today (due to unexpected piece conversion I had to do for the backpack, more on that later).

I primed and sanded my pieces again, a few more passes of glazing putting on the gauntlets, and all of this is ready for the black and white!

While the primer was drying, backpack assembly continues. Got my missing pieces from TZA in record time. (thanks again James!!!!)

Here is the conversion pieces that had to occur. I had to convert it so that it would fit on the other side of the backpack... I got one wrong piece, so the conversion took the better part of the day, but Rob (garrison mate) worked on that while I focused on other things. Only found out about that piece this morning, but it turned out really nice.

Before and after kinda thing (got the same piece twice. I needed the left, inner side for the comm pod).

Fiberglassed the inside for strength.

Wrapping up the comm pods

Tomorrow is more painting, finish assembly of the main backpack, bondo the backpack and shins, and yeah, more painting.

Lots to post for 2 days of work (Sunday and Monday)

Finished priming all of the armor grey/black

DSC02428.jpg

I proceeded in painting the armor with the white paint.

DSC02432.jpg

DSC02433.jpg

While it dried, I worked on the shins (apply bondo / sand / galzing putty / sand)

DSC02437.jpg

After a few coats of white, and dry. I proceed in masking the armor for the Hosta Leaf color. After a long supper break (beercan chicken) for Thanksgiving,

DSC02442.jpg

I continued with the painting.

DSC02443.jpg

Minor touchups for the bucket, but overall looks good.

DSC02449.jpg

DSC02450.jpg

DSC02452.jpg

Not much work tonight (RL stuff), but was able to do some touch up spray painting.

I painted the shins all white so that it's ready for the green paint hopefully tomorrow.

DSC02453.jpg

Working on some patterns while watching some hockey right now. God why does he have such a complicated pattern on his legs.

Anyways, I removed the tape not too long ago and I will have a bit more touch up work than I would like, but not bad looking so far.

DSC02454.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

DSC02456.jpg

DSC02457.jpg

DSC02458.jpg

Night 13 I think now...

More work tonight... mostly figuring out how to work the patterns on the legs. I created a paper template, then I covered the whole area that is to remain white. I then used my template to trace on the tape the pattern. I used a small hobby exacto knife to cut out the pattern. It tuned out nice for both the quads and the shins.

DSC02459.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

DSC02464.jpg

DSC02465.jpg

DSC02466.jpg

DSC02467.jpg

Between a few coats, I worked on the second box for my second shoulder bell. While the epoxy dried, I went back and gave the quads another coat of paint. After that I was able to prime the shoulder bell.

DSC02462.jpg

DSC02463.jpg

Tomorrow is the darker color on the legs, other touch-ups on the armor and start painting the knees (once I decide how I will attach them, either with magnets or screw and wing-nut assembly).

Worked on it more again last night. Sorry no pictures yet as I was a bit tired at the end. I'll post some later tonight / tomorrow.

- First I gave another coat of the Hosta Leaf on the quads and shins.

- Then I proceeded in covering all the colored areas of the helmet. was not satisfied with the white finish on the bucket

- Gave a coat of white on the bucket

- Had supper

- Covered the quad armor with a second layer of tape

- Then spent almost 3 hours trying to get the darker pattern on the quad armor to match as closely to the game footage / match current pattern on the legs. I don't know how many times I drew my lines and erased them. Yes I was extremely picky for something that will be sanded/scratched, but at least it will look right.

- Once satisfied with quad lines, I cut out the tape between the lines I drew exposing the armor to be painted.

- Performed the same task on the shins. That took less than 20 mins.

- Painted the darker green on the leg armor

- Gave another white pass on the bucket

- Painted the green color stripe on the second shoulder bell.

- Forgot about the knees. So I then looked up reference shots and taped them accordingly. They currently have the Hosta Leaf color on them. The darker color will be put on tonight before supper.

- At 11:30pm I went to bed and let everything sit for the night.

I hope that I make this armor justice. The TZA armor though is really nice to work with, and excellent craftsmanship. I cannot say enough about it.

Well ran out of time. Armor will not be ready for an event that I was planning to do tomorrow morning (Childrens' Wish Foundation)

It gives me more time to prepare the backpack properly (it is not complete.). I still have to do a lot of touch up painting, not to mention the padding for the legs (quads/shins), biceps and gauntlets. I still have to assemble the knees as well.

I was able to do some test fitting. I also used a semi permanents shoulder assemble (nuts and bolt through both front and back chest piece (makes that joint solid, and provides anchor point for the shoulders. This is until I stabilize my weight loss (over 25 lbs so far).

DSC02483.jpg

DSC02480.jpg

DSC02481.jpg

Here is what the armor looks like so far:

Test fit

DSC02473.jpg

Quads

DSC02474.jpg

Shins

DSC02478.jpg

Knees

DSC02486.jpg

A little more work this weekend (when not busy with the lawn, or house chores). I'll post pictures tonight.

I was able to glue the bottom pieces of the ammo boxes on my backpack. After some creative use of the epoxy glue (to avoid too much time with bondo), I was able to sand it down and make the joints seamless between the front on the backpack and the sides. I put some glazing putty, sanded it down, and still not satisfied, put a bit more down.

DSC02487.jpg

DSC02488.jpg

DSC02489.jpg

I trimmed down the antenna piece for the backpack as well. While doing that, I was trying to figure out the best way to make it removable as well.

Hopefully I will be able to do a bit more sanding tonight, and prime the backpack. I also want to work on the shimming of the antenna assembly. The assembly itself is a nice puzzle. There is not a lot of room to glue shims in place due to the curvature of the said antenna assembly. I'll have to be creative again.

I started cutting foam for the armor and use them as test fits to see how it would work. I may have to trim the knee armor a bit more as it will hit the quad armor when I walk. All the foam still has to be glued in place. I'm weary of using hot glue (since it doesn't hold so well). It may be my best solution until I get confortable with how the suit fits/feels.

Last night, while watching AMC's The Walking Dead (shameless plug), I finished the side lamp electronics for the bucket. It was tricky to perform the last bit of wiring inside the bucket itself (not enough room, and I didn't put my wiring from the LED long enough) but it works really well and man, it's bright.
newreply.php

With flash (final painting still needs to occur)

DSC02503.jpg

Without flash

DSC02506.jpg

Another night, more work done.

I was able to prime the backpack (while giving out candy to the kids. Some thought it was really cool what I was building).

I was able also to add a few layers of black on it as well... to follow is the white/ greens and grey.

DSC02491.jpg

DSC02492.jpg

DSC02495.jpg

After a few coats of black paint

DSC02496.jpg

DSC02501.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

More work the past 2 nights. Doesn't seem like much but it's the home stretch for me.

Yesterday was getting some parts after borrowing an idea from Gino (he did set the bar after all).

I'm going to put some PVC piping in the antenna assembly to make it sturdy and make it easier to assemble. The PVC piping will be coming down from the antennas into the side pods. I'm going to cut very small holes (to put my hand in and glue the couplings inside of them).

DSC02509.jpg

The backpack is all white and ready for the greens. I'm letting the paint dry for a few days as it was still a bit tacky to the touch.

DSC02511.jpg

Tonight I did the holes on the top part of the antenna assembly. I've also started to glue the pvc inside the assembly.

DSC02513.jpg

DSC02514.jpg

I also started to glue the padding inside the armor. I'm really paranoid for some reason in not getting this right. so there is a lot of walking around readjusting etc. Finally bit the bullet and started gluing. I hope to do a full suit-up test this weekend and walking around the neighborhood.

So more work upcoming this weekend, hopefully that last final push!

Some weekend work and part of tonight.

I was able to paint the second part of the backpack with the Host Leaf color.

DSC02515.jpg

I also completed the 2 circles on the left side of the chest.

DSC02517.jpg

Once that dried (after 2 days) I marked the other Forest Green color and away I painted.

DSC02519.jpg

DSC02523.jpg

Final outcome

DSC02526.jpg

DSC02527.jpg

I cut small holes and added my couplings inside of the pods. I also cut the holes on the left comm pod and covered them with a hazy plastic (taken from an empty vinegar jug). Tests will see if it dilutes the blue light enough or if I have to put some tissue paper tio make it a bit whiter.

DSC02534.jpg

DSC02533.jpg

Test fit with one side of the pods (other coupling was still not fully dry to start testing it). Also glued the hazy plastic on the top of the antenna assembly.

DSC02539.jpg

DSC02540.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back