Tusken Raider mask done...then redone....then redone again.

Elevader

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My most recent build was a Tusken Raider mask kit I purchased off Etsy. I saw it recommended here and decided it was the best option since I was unable to get a Godzilla kit.

I ordered aluminum parts and special ordered a aluminum nose, which isn't typically part of the kit. After opening the kit, the contents were nice for the price and the directions were great, but I decided to get new leather and cloth. The nose was also smaller than I expected, but other than that I was really happy with everything.

The initial build was pretty straightforward, so I hadn't documented anything really. It's once I finished that I realized it wasn't quite what I wanted.

Build 1
Original 1.png

Original 2.png

Original 3.png

While the details turned out okay, I was so hyper-focused on the minor details I didn't realize the overall shape of the snout and the symmetrical nature wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted to mimic the droopier style I prefer and decided to rip it up and alter it.

Not quite sure where I was going to go with this, so I call this next phase, "Doing random stuff until things start to make sense". I started by just adding some milliput to reshape the snout a bit. I realized that beyond reshaping the snout, I wanted the nose to be lower and slope at a downward angle. In the initial build you can see the nose is straight and at the same height as the face rods.

In Progress 1.png

After continuing to add to the nose and reshape it, I realized I was getting a bit too far away from the face, so I sliced into the milliput and the plastic to create more of an angle back towards the mask.

In Progress 2.png

In Progress 3.png

Continuing to "figure it out" by reshaping and adding more milliput, I started testing out a new area for the nose to sit.

In Progress 4.png

Feeling better about the overall placement, I started to continue to shape the nose. I was having a lot of issues getting the overall shape I wanted so I had to add a lot more milliput so I could cut away some of the plastic mask. This added a lot of weight, so I had to go back after and hollow out the inside to get it down.

In Progress 5.png

One of the hardest parts was really just visualizing if the snout was correct. Since I was doing it by hand, it was really easy to get mixed up at different angles. So I decided as I got closer to test out the snout by putting on a wrap.

In Progress 6.png

The hole in the middle was too tight and the shape of the top was a bit too round, so I shaped more and messed around with using a smaller piece of leather to get more of a peak. I then opened up the middle a bit more and thinned the sides a bit to give more of a curve.

In Progress 7.png

Feeling pretty good about it, I moved to complete it, adding the wrap and leather strips.

In Progress 8.png

In Progress 9.png

The new version had a nose that is lower and at the angle I wanted and the snout has the droopier shape I wanted. I was feeling good about it...until I put it in the cabinet and took pictures.

Altered 1.png

Altered 2.png

After getting it off the table and elevating it from different angles, I realized how the nose was too big and too far away from the face.

A bit demoralized, I decided I would keep at it. After thinking about it, I realized it shouldn't be too bad to trim it at this point. So I took out the dremmel and shaved away a significant portion to bring it close to the face, change the shape from the front and also trim around the bottom and sides. Overall making it smaller and closer to the face.

In Progress 10.png

I was happier with the trimmed snout and also took the opportunity to change the angle of the face rods so they pointed down more. After some more final details and messing with the head wraps a bit, I was finished. In the end, I think the final version turned out improved.

Final 1.png

Final 2.png

I got more of the side profile I wanted here with the face rods and snout both pointed downward and the eyes straight.

Final 3.png

Final 4.png

Final 5.png

FInal 6.png

Final 7.png

Original vs Final.

Original 1.png
Original 2.png

Final 1.png
Final 5.png

It's still not perfect and I'm sure I can mess with it forever, but I'm happy with the end result. Its still slightly on the large side, so I may rework it again when I have the energy. The images also make it appear a bit wonkier than it appears in person, so you add another 10% less wonkiness in your mind. lol

Update: 5/14/22

Just finished a Godzilla kit, which has more accurate parts.

Tusken1.jpg
Tusken5.jpg

Update: 1/22/23

One more update to my existing Godzilla mask to make it a bit more in the ANH style.

TuskenFront.png
TuskenSide.png

Attachments

• Final 1.png
    Final 1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • Original 2.png
    Original 2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • Tusken1.jpg
    Tusken1.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
My most recent build was a Tusken Raider mask kit I purchased off Etsy. I saw it recommended here and decided it was the best option since I was unable to get a Godzilla kit.

I ordered aluminum parts and special ordered a aluminum nose, which isn't typically part of the kit. After opening the kit, the contents were nice for the price and the directions were great, but I decided to get new leather and cloth. The nose was also smaller than I expected, but other than that I was really happy with everything.

The initial build was pretty straightforward, so I hadn't documented anything really. It's once I finished that I realized it wasn't quite what I wanted.

Build 1
View attachment 1556284

View attachment 1556285

View attachment 1556286

While the details turned out okay, I was so hyper-focused on the minor details I didn't realize the overall shape of the snout and the symmetrical nature wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted to mimic the droopier style I prefer and decided to rip it up and alter it.

Not quite sure where I was going to go with this, so I call this next phase, "Doing random stuff until things start to make sense". I started by just adding some milliput to reshape the snout a bit. I realized that beyond reshaping the snout, I wanted the nose to be lower and slope at a downward angle. In the initial build you can see the nose is straight and at the same height as the face rods.

View attachment 1556288

After continuing to add to the nose and reshape it, I realized I was getting a bit too far away from the face, so I sliced into the milliput and the plastic to create more of an angle back towards the mask.

View attachment 1556289

View attachment 1556290

Continuing to "figure it out" by reshaping and adding more milliput, I started testing out a new area for the nose to sit.

View attachment 1556293

Feeling better about the overall placement, I started to continue to shape the nose. I was having a lot of issues getting the overall shape I wanted so I had to add a lot more milliput so I could cut away some of the plastic mask. This added a lot of weight, so I had to go back after and hollow out the inside to get it down.

View attachment 1556294

One of the hardest parts was really just visualizing if the snout was correct. Since I was doing it by hand, it was really easy to get mixed up at different angles. So I decided as I got closer to test out the snout by putting on a wrap.

View attachment 1556295

The hole in the middle was too tight and the shape of the top was a bit too round, so I shaped more and messed around with using a smaller piece of leather to get more of a peak. I then opened up the middle a bit more and thinned the sides a bit to give more of a curve.

View attachment 1556296

Feeling pretty good about it, I moved to complete it, adding the wrap and leather strips.

View attachment 1556298

View attachment 1556299

The new version had a nose that is lower and at the angle I wanted and the snout has the droopier shape I wanted. I was feeling good about it...until I put it in the cabinet and took pictures.

View attachment 1556300

View attachment 1556301

After getting it off the table and elevating it from different angles, I realized how the nose was too big and too far away from the face.

A bit demoralized, I decided I would keep at it. After thinking about it, I realized it shouldn't be too bad to trim it at this point. So I took out the dremmel and shaved away a significant portion to bring it close to the face, change the shape from the front and also trim around the bottom and sides. Overall making it smaller and closer to the face.

View attachment 1556302

I was happier with the trimmed snout and also took the opportunity to change the angle of the face rods so they pointed down more. After some more final details and messing with the head wraps a bit, I was finished. In the end, I think the final version turned out improved.

View attachment 1556303

View attachment 1556304

I got more of the side profile I wanted here with the face rods and snout both pointed downward and the eyes straight.

View attachment 1556305

View attachment 1556307

View attachment 1556308

View attachment 1556309

View attachment 1556310

Original vs Final

View attachment 1556311 View attachment 1556314

View attachment 1556315 View attachment 1556317

It's still not perfect and I'm sure I can mess with it forever, but I'm happy with the end result. Its still slightly on the large side, so I may rework it again when I have the energy. The images also make it appear a bit wonkier than it appears in person, so you add another 10% less wonkiness in your mind. lol
This looks perfect now!. Im building my own right now.

This looks perfect now!. Im building my own right now.
Thanks! I actually redid it again since this photo, making the area around the teeth smaller and tighter. I also reduced the size if the bottom mouth area. I plan to make one more adjustment to have that area angled more inwards instead of flush. Ill update when I finish.

I also got ahold of a Godzilla kit that Im building. I’ll post that as well.

Thanks! I actually redid it again since this photo, making the area around the teeth smaller and tighter. I also reduced the size if the bottom mouth area. I plan to make one more adjustment to have that area angled more inwards instead of flush. Ill update when I finish.

I also got ahold of a Godzilla kit that Im building. I’ll post that as well.

Can I ask is Godzilla making them again or was it second had?

Which Etsy kit did you go with?

Awesome build. Just incredible.

Can I ask is Godzilla making them again or was it second had?

Which Etsy kit did you go with?

Awesome build. Just incredible.
I was fortunate to get one second hand.

The one in this thread was from DHPFX. I got the aluminum kit and then had the nose/teeth special ordered as aluminum (since his kit only offers a resin nose).

I really like how the kit is built. Although I didn’t really use the other pieces that came with the kit (leather/cloth). Just the frame (heavily modified as shown in this thread) and the aluminum pieces.

I’ve been a bit busy lately but Im gonna build the Godzilla in the next couple of weeks.

GODZILLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are you???????????????????????????????

I've mostly finished the Godzilla kit. I've got some clean up and final tweaking to do, but the bulk of it is done.

It's obviously an amazing kit that is far more accurate than the previous one I had. Though I'm still going to tear that original one up and try to rework it again making the snout much smaller/tighter. Having the finished Godzilla will help a bith with the sizing of the snout area. Though the plastic snout makes it really hard to shape correctly as I have to remove the plastic and rebuild with something else, but I'm still going to try.

Images of the Godzilla kit.

Tusken1.jpg

Tusken2.jpg

Tusken3.jpg

Tusken4.jpg

Tusken5.jpg

Tusken6.jpg

Tusken7.jpg

Attachments

• Tusken2.jpg
    Tusken2.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 160
I've mostly finished the Godzilla kit. I've got some clean up and final tweaking to do, but the bulk of it is done.

It's obviously an amazing kit that is far more accurate than the previous one I had. Though I'm still going to tear that original one up and try to rework it again making the snout much smaller/tighter. Having the finished Godzilla will help a bith with the sizing of the snout area. Though the plastic snout makes it really hard to shape correctly as I have to remove the plastic and rebuild with something else, but I'm still going to try.

Images of the Godzilla kit.

View attachment 1575471

View attachment 1575473

View attachment 1575474

View attachment 1575475
View attachment 1575476

View attachment 1575477

View attachment 1575478
Just came across this thread - this is an amazing build! Congrats!

Would you mind sharing what type of cloth you used for the wrap or even the source, and how you managed to get this weathered/ dirt effect? Thanks!

Once again, I got the itch to continue improving my Tusken Raider mask. I was recently looking into Gaffi Sticks when I came across the beautful Tusken Raider bust from Regal Robot and was reminded how much I like the ANH style Tusken. There are many different versions of what a correct Tusken Raider can look like, but I wanted to get closer to one of the ANH styles if I could.

Unfortunately, I didn't take photos during my madness, as I tore everything apart (even taking a hacksaw to big chunks of the existing rubber shape) I wasn't even sure I was going to get to the version I liked. However, after much work, I think I landed on a style I prefer much more. Again, not perfect, but I felt I reached the limits of what I could do to modify my existing mask.

TuskenFront.png
TuskenSide.png

Here is the transition.

Existing mask -> RR bust that inspired me -> New version

Tusken1.jpg
RRFront.jpg
TuskenFront.png

Tusken3.jpg
RRSide.jpg
TuskenSide.png

Just came across this thread - this is an amazing build! Congrats!

Would you mind sharing what type of cloth you used for the wrap or even the source, and how you managed to get this weathered/ dirt effect? Thanks!
Im just using some linen I got on Amazon.

Natural Linen

I make small cuts long ways, of various thickness, then rip down the lines to get more raggedy strips. I then dye those and airbrush them with different browns and grays after they are applied to the mask.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back