Truly hovering Jedi Training Remote

Gigatron

Sr Member
Hey Gang,

I've been working on this for a while (gathering parts, pics and information), but I would finally like to introduce the first known, truly levitating, Jedi Training Remote. If there is another out there somewhere, I have never seen it.

Anyway, on to the pics:

First a pic of everfything as it first started out

training-remote-001A_1.jpg

Next, the hemisphere in mid construction

training-remote-004A.jpg

training-remote-005A.jpg

And finally, a test levitation

float-test001A.jpg

I still need to the shock ray emitters (need to get my hands on my father's drill press) then assmble and paint.

Let me know what you think.

-Fred

Very cool. Now you just need to make a floating landspeeder :) Awesome job and I can't wait to see it complete.

Richard

Terrific idea of a project, Fred. It will make a striking display piece.

Looking forward to pics of the next step. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thanks, guys :D.

Glad everyone likes it, so far.

Before I forget (again), I'd like to thank the following people for making this happen:

Coinprop - for his super sharp casts of hard to find model parts
BrundelFly- for his insanely helpfull and detailed tutorial ( http://www.hobbymatrix.com/models/remote/build/build.html )
WackyChimp - For his wonderful pic hosting services

As for the globe, just put IFO 3000 in to a google earch and you'll get hundreds of results. Average retail is about $100. I happened to snag one on Ebay for $80. It's a pricey globe, but damn is it worth it. Even if you never modify it, it's still a cool globe.

-Fred

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ May 3 2006, 02:34 AM) [snapback]1237291[/snapback]</div>
Excellent idea.

Next do the Death Star. B)

- k
[/b]

Y'know, if I could just get a second globe, it would be seriously easy. Just pull off the globe graphics, fashion up a laser dish and paint the other details on.

I may have to look in to that.

-Fred

Question there Gig,

By looking at the photos of your buildup I couldn't tell for sure, but does the unit require one or two magnets inside of the sphere to operate properly?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aegis159 @ May 3 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]1237549[/snapback]</div>
Question there Gig,

By looking at the photos of your buildup I couldn't tell for sure, but does the unit require one or two magnets inside of the sphere to operate properly?
[/b]

There's just the one magnet in there. If you look at the fourth pic, you can sort of see it in the northern hemi (right side).

I wish I could figure out how to determine the strength of the magnet needed to keep it levitated. Right now, I can see the base working overtime to keep the remote in the field. If the magnet were a hair stronger, it wouldn't be a problem.

The thing is, the remote is much heavier than the original globe. So while it is a really cool display, I may not keep it going all the time, just for safety reasons. Perhaps if I add a second, smaller magnet it would work, but what I know about magnetic field theory, couldn't fill a thimble.

-Fred

I can't believe this hasn't been thought of before... what a simple but BRILLIANT idea.

I can't wait to see the final pictures. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ May 3 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]1237558[/snapback]</div>
The thing is, the remote is much heavier than the original globe. So while it is a really cool display, I may not keep it going all the time, just for safety reasons.
[/b]

Safety reasons? It might fly off the base or something?

Thanks, WebChief :D. I think until recently, the technology really just wasn't there. There were the 4" globes and 8" globes, but most of them had a magnetic gap of 1/4" - 1/2". This new one has a gap of 1 1/2". That's a heck of a difference and actually makes it look as though the thing is hovering under it's own power.

I try to think of this as the remote's docking station - like where it would've been kept when not in use. I would like to eventually dress up the base so that it looks like it fits in the star wars universe. But I'm not sure how to do that quite yet.

Clutch, when I was talking about safety I was more reffering to the safety of the remote as opposed to people suffering from personal harm :lol. If the remote falls out of the magnetic field for one reason or another, it could go crashing to the floor. I only want to have to build this sucker once.

Nice thing about this base though is a built in safety feature. When you unplug it, the magnet reacts and automatically increases the field and sticks the globe to the top, so you don't have to woory about having to catch it in a power failure.

-Fred

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back