Truckers' cap maker advice.

Jamie Davies

Hi all,
This is my first post here and I hope that you will forgive me if this question has been asked and answered a thousand times.

I am really interested in having a replica cap made that was worn by the character Onslow in the 90s British sitcom "Keeping Up Appearances". It is a unique cap and very recognizable. The cap was given to the actor, the late Geoffrey Hughes while he was doing promotion work in New Zealand. The FH on the front is for Fulton Hogan, a New Zealand road building and construction company.

I have tried multiple times to find the hat and have never found one for sale. Most of the "design your own cap" websites don't make it look quite right. The style just isn't the same.

So, I am looking for some recommendations for websites, people or companies that could make me a replica hat that looks like it has come right off of Onslow's head.

Thank you very much for your time and I would be very grateful for any advice you can provide.

Attachments

• onslow 2.JPG
    onslow 2.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 407
  • onslow.JPG
    onslow.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 551
It looks to me like the FH is on a separate patch sewn onto the hat, so I'd think the key is finding a hat of the right vintage. The hat is a pretty unique style, I wonder if that's unique to a New Zealand company or if it's more generic but tied to the time period.

Thank you.
You are so correct. The hat style is like no other I have seen. That's what is held me back from using a generic "custom hat" website.

The hunt continues.
Thank you again for your input.

Can't help you with the hat, but I have made my own custom trucker hat patches. My daughter wanted a Von Doom trucker hat in the style of the Von Dutch logo. I imported the Von Dutch logo into Fusion 360 and used the spline tool to outline the letters. Then I did a lot of copy and paste and control point editing to turn it into Von Doom. I used the industrial embroidery machine we have at my maker space to make the patch. It came out pretty well.

Here's the build thread. Doctor Doom trucker hat The second version of the patch came out even better than the photos in this thread. It just took a little fiddling with the thread paths for the embroidery.

If you can find the hat, you should be able to do the same to get the patch.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back