Transfering Template/Patterns to Styrene

Boxcar Bret

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm currently working on a Star Wars Escape Pod and for accuracy I was going to draw up some of the panels in Illustrator. Once I do that though I'm faced with how do I get the pattern on the styrene. I thought about lightly spraying them with Spray Mount, applying it to the styrene, cutting them out and then using bestine to remove any residue. Does anyone have any better solutions?

Thanks in advance.

I personally use Contact Cement, after I finish cutting out the details or tracing them onto the Styrene...I peel-off the paper and carefully peel-off the adhesive.

I wouldn't use any strong removers because they may dissolve the styrene or remove the smooth surface that you may want for your model parts.

Goo Gone works great, Bestine works even better.

You might also check with a local trophy shop and see if they can laser it for you. If you have the Illustrator file ready and material, they might not charge too much to engrave it for you.

I may not be understanding the issue correctly, but have you considered carbon paper? Or turning the printed pages into a substitute by coloring the back side of the paper with an artist's ebony pencil and then tracing the designs onto the styrene. This is how I transfered my Boba Fett armor templates.

The shapes are worked out on a computer. The issue is getting them on to the styrene sheet. Tracing would just be one extra step and wouldnt be nearly as crisp as a paper print out would be.

If you already have them printed onto paper, the hard part is done. Spray a little adhesive on the back of the paper, and lay it onto the sheet of styrene. Use an exacto knife to cut out the patterns. If you are using 0.060" or less, you will have no problem. If the styrene is thicker than that, score it a little deeper and you are good to go.

After drawing my patterns on CorelDRAW I print them out on Avery full sheet label paper.

B000093L1J.01-A2RT822UHB0YS8._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Avery® White Inkjet Labels, Full Sheet, 8 1/2in. x 11in., Box Of 25
SKU# AVE08165

I then cut the patterns with sissors or nippers, glue styrene in place, remove the label paper, lightly sand any residue off.

I've used those glue/paste sticks that school kids use. Wash off the paper and glue with warm soapy water. Works fine with a scroll saw cutting out the pattern on thick plastic..

J

I'm not sure what the glue is exactly called but you spray it on and it allows the paper to be repositioned. It's the same as post-it note glue. Spray it on the paper, stick the paper down, and once your'e finished, peel it off.

I love bumping into these threads and getting a fantastic bit of advice. I was just sitting crouched over my worktable trying to trace a loose pattern with a dry erase marker, never even occured to me to just lightly glue the pattern to the plastic. Duh....

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back