Trailer for new "Cosmos" series (Premieres this Sunday)

Show looks promising, Only thing I wish a better channel than fox picked this up, the content is to intelligent for the average fox viewer =/.. Hopefully it finds a way to capture them as well. loved the original series.

Would it be better on the enlightened and intelligent viewership of MSNBC? LOL
All these networks are disturbing to me, I see little difference other than what bias they accentuate.

They all suck, viewers of all networks have plenty of idiots, acting like they are lowering themselves is beneath the spirit
of exploration and understanding. The show needs to be seen on ALL of them just as bad.

Ignorance of the science content of Cosmos is just as spread amongst all stripes.

People can watch it on National Geographic channel if they are stuck on the saddles of their high horses.

As long as they watch, that's all I care about.

As Tyson has quoted...

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea."

We need those "ships" of all kinds. Not just the ones that carry us to the stars.

I only caught the last half hour, but it was great. Still can't believe it's on Fox, it just contradicts so much of what goes on on their other channels... :lol

Just watched the first episode and was glued to my seat! Really excellent intro, and I can hardly wait for the next one! Three cheers for Neil DeGrass Tyson, Seth McFarland, Brannon Braga and the late Carl Sagan!!!:cheers

Last edited:
I skipped out on everything else that came on last night to watch it. And it was so well worth it! Brilliant re-imagined series! Carl would be proud!

I thought it was okay, nothing all that spectacular. If anything, this compared to the original Cosmos shows what made it so great: Sagan's personality.

This iteration lacks that. Not Sagan, obviously, but the personality of the presenter. I've followed Tyson for some years now and he's a bit aggressive when it comes to promoting science, but if at least he had a hand in writing the series, he'd be speaking his own words and thoughts with sincerity and conviction instead of just reciting from a script. I mean, Morgan Freeman does that. (If you ask me, I think Prof. Brian Cox or Michio Kaku would've been better fits to host the show)

I think that's my biggest gripe about it so far; it just feels like any other science series on space. While I enjoy most of them, calling something "Cosmos" and in line of the original series, there is a certain continuity it kinda has to follow, tonally.

This, it's just what I've seen in other shows: some 'name' presenting on a green-screen set and then great graphics are whizzing by. I know it's only one episode so far but if this is the template for what the other shows are gonna be then I'm slightly disappointed that this is the successor of Cosmos. I'd go on griping more but I can't say that I don't enjoy these commercial breaks with Samsung Galaxies and other space themed devices coming in. I don't know why, but it just seems so shameless that it's funny to me.

I don't have TV so watching current programs is difficult for me (usually have to wait for unedited DVD) but I might see if my brother would be up for company on Sundays so we could watch this together. We were glued to the original as kids, it was very instrumental in causing me to question the "answers" I was getting regarding the nature of reality from "other" sources. Seems like Sunday is the perfect day to air it! ;)

I don't have TV so watching current programs is difficult for me (usually have to wait for unedited DVD) but I might see if my brother would be up for company on Sundays so we could watch this together. We were glued to the original as kids, it was very instrumental in causing me to question the "answers" I was getting regarding the nature of reality from "other" sources. Seems like Sunday is the perfect day to air it! ;)

Definitely ;)
I've only seen small parts of the original series. But I will certainly make sure to watch this. Tyson is one of those scientist that really inspire and make science even more fun/exciting than it already is.

Cosmos got some of the Bruno history wrong and animation of him "rising" into the universe in a crucified pose was a bit over the top for a science show.
I don't think that is a big deal yet though. The asteroid belt also looked like it was out of Empire Strikes Back, it's simply not that dense.

You don't see stars in space either, but i find that and the density of asteroid belts, etc, to be rather nit-picky. Sadly, if there weren't stars in the background you'd probalby have more people thinking it was wrong :)

FWIW, the fox station here is owned by the same people as the one's mentioned in the article and ours was not interrupted.

My concern was that it'd be dumbed down for the masses and i'm very happy that is not the case. I usually like watching science and history shows, but so many have been dumbed down you just can't get anything out of them anymore.

See, I think it has to be dumbed down a bit for the masses - or it's not going to continue. I don't mind it too much, I want something my nephew can watch, learn and enjoy.

You don't see stars in space either.

NASA's Cosmicopia -- Ask Us -- Stars

Is it true that in space a person is not able to see stars all around them like we do here on Earth?

No, I hear that in space the stars look wonderful, bright (although not twinkling) and very clear. What has probably caused some of this confusion is that in the typical photo or video image from space, there aren't any stars. This is because the stars are much dimmer than the astronaut, Moon, space station, or whatever the image is been taken of. It is extremely hard to get the exposure correct to show the stars. Luckily, the human eye handles the different light levels much better than a camera does.

Dr. Eric Christian
(July 2001)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back