TPM Naboo detonator replicas, Padme‘s security forces & Gungan booma

Wonder Knight

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone :) ,

For my new project, I'd like to get into Naboo detonator replicas.

On the one hand the detonator of the security forces of Padme.

On the other hand the smaller Gungan Booma (15cm/6”).

377825.jpg
Dimensions.JPG

Regarding the security forces detonator, the prototype is already well advanced. The 3D model was done by eethan, it's based on the Propstore sale photos and so the shape is super accurate (the shapes on the ball aren't perfectly symmetrical and that's respected in the model). The idea is to offer a finished and painted version. You can see the first test below. They will be offered in cast resin in rotocast and coldcast metal powder. They will be supplied with the belt clip.

The price should be around 150€ (painted and with the belt clip) + shipping

Gungan boomas, at the moment it's just an idea I'd really like to get into, but I'm afraid there wouldn’t be enough interest. So if there were enough people who might be interested I could make a prototype.

My idea, after a little thought, would be to have a ball about 15cm with an empty center containing a dichroic film to represent energy. The outer shell would be cast in blue resin. You can see the wanted idea on the instagram of the super artist Ktoctopus with its iridescent dices:
In the video, the film is cast into the resin, but for the Gungan energy balls, I would like it not to be too heavy, hence the idea of the hollow center (it's energy anyway ). Otherwise the ball cast in full would weigh around 2kg (4.409 lb)

For the price, I would like to be in the same range as the security force detonators, but without a prototype it is still difficult for me to calculate it.

If you are interested in either of the projects, do not hesitate to tell me in the comments. For the detonators it will help me to know the quantity of material that I have to order. And for the Boomas, to know if I can invest myself in the project (please like this project, because I want to do a run so much…)

Now here are some references and pictures ;):

Security forces detonator

Movie:
03 - Copie.JPG

Auction

anaboog1.jpg
anaboog2.jpg
anaboog3.jpg
anaboogbase.jpg

Eethan's 3D Match:

NabooTD_3Dmatch_01.jpg
NabooTD_3Dmatch_02.jpg
NabooTD_3Dmatch_03.jpg
NabooTD_3Dmatch_05.jpg

3D print cleaned and casting
IMG_1897.JPEG
IMG_1945.JPEG
IMG_2011.JPEG
(For a better casting result I now use 65D resin)
color test
IMG_2006.JPEG
IMG_2008.JPEG

Gungan boomas references

Capture.JPG
Capture9.JPG
dim 2.JPG
Dimensions.JPG

Last edited:
Just wanted to drop by and say that the Naboo TD got basically the same carefull 3D modeling treatment as my Barbican project, I matched as much of the references in 3D as possible, keeping all the little assymetries from the real prop, really happy with the result both for the 3D model itself as well as the master and casts!

Really hoping the Gungan Booma gets a little bit of interest as I would also love to see this happen and add one to my collection! I think there is a great potential bringing this one to life, there is some interpreting to do as the original is CGI but I think it's going to look great with the references/ideas that Julie posted mixed with her own care and motivation for this project!

"(painted and with the belt clip)"

Is that just the Covertec knob? or the belt box piece too? I thought correct Covertecs were discontinued and rare these days?
Real or replica?

I have my own stash of Covertecs so it's not a problem.
I might need to get one of these to go with my Naboo ascension gun. :)

"(painted and with the belt clip)"

Is that just the Covertec knob? or the belt box piece too? I thought correct Covertecs were discontinued and rare these days?
Real or replica?

I have my own stash of Covertecs so it's not a problem.
I might need to get one of these to go with my Naboo ascension gun. :)
Hi lonepigeon :) ,
These will be the two pieces of the Covertec (knob and belt box) . I would buy them from The Custom Saber Shop. I think they are replicas but nothing is indicated on the shop on the origin of the objects.
I bought one to check, the wheel has a bit more grain than a vintage one and it looks very slightly thicker but the look is really very close and the belt clip seems very close to the original (down to the molding lines).
Cheers

Hi,
I haven't found the time yet to paint the prototype and I'll try to finish this as soon as possible, in the meantime, bumping for interest :)
Cheers

Hi everyone :),
I was finally able to finish my entire prototype (I had to order new paints to get a better result, but now i'm satisfied).
It is very hard to estimate the color because depending on exposure to light the color can completely change. But I tried to get a nice burgundy that doesn't tend towards orange.

I hope you like the prototype and don't hesitate to sign up for my run, it's a finished object and super nice to display.

And I can tell you that my donkeys confirmed that it was indeed a good detonator replica. They smelled it and said "Wessa got a bad feeling about this....it's not an apple...it's a trap...."

I'll let you see the photos:
RPF_IMG_0025.jpg
RPF_IMG_0026.jpg
RPF_IMG_0024.jpg
RPF_IMG_0018.jpg
RPF_IMG_0021.jpg
RPF_IMG_0011.jpg

Bumping this! Julie has worked really hard on getting that paint just right, I have seen all the tests and back and forth, and now I'm really excited about what she achieved, seriously, it's like holding the real prop in your hand! Couldn't be happier with the result :)

Hi guys :) , Rafite kurtyboy teecrooz
I haven't forgotten you, I was hoping to get a little more interest before starting the run but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much interest for this prop :(. I will order the material this week so that I can still make some for you. Sorry for the waiting

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back