TOS Trek prop fruit from "The Apple"....or maybe a planet

Be nice to find some pre-cloud images of the spheres........

Are you thinking that the planet models were filmed and then the clouds were superimposed afterwards? Found this photo of a TOS planet model and it is all painted as one:
TOS planet
Sadly not possible to tell from the photo how the model planets were mounted or suspended. IMO suspended is not likely because a styrofoam ball hanging on a wire would be more like Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe than Star Trek!

Are you thinking that the planet models were filmed and then the clouds were superimposed afterwards? Found this photo of a TOS planet model and it is all painted as one:
TOS planet
Sadly not possible to tell from the photo how the model planets were mounted or suspended. IMO suspended is not likely because a styrofoam ball hanging on a wire would be more like Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe than Star Trek!

I'm saying just raw images.

If the planet is shot w/ filters then the clouds wouldn't remain white....if white clouds be the goal. They would have to be added after filtration.

That pics looks digital.........or at least altered....to me.

If Jefferies kept this for 30 yrs it had some meaning to him........while not evidence it is compelling.

Trying to match a screen used miniature can be a daunting task since the optical process changes the appearence of the item. There are color and lighting variations to take into account. The negative goes into different processing steps with mattes and color separations to create the final composite. So what you see on the screen is quite different to what you see with your eyes or thru your camera.

Last edited:
Trying to match a screen used miniature can be a daunting task since the optical process changes the appearence of the item. There are color and lighting variations to take into account. The negative goes into different processing steps with mattes and color separations to create the final composite. So what you see on the screen is quite different to what you see with your eyes or thru your camera.

Yeah....what I said :lol

I am still going to try to find the guy that got it from Jefferies.....that will be nice even if he doen't know details about it.

Since I'm planning to upgrade my motorcycle this Summer..........this one and a few other items will be sold. If I list in the Junkyard I have to give a price and I'm not sure where to start yet....so guess I'll just go straight to eBay when I have time to write the listing. Mssg me any questions.

james

I don't think there is nearly enough evidence to suggest this was used in Star Trek.

The letter of authenticity is vague and without any idea of how/if this was used- it's really just ball. And of course we all know Premiere Props has a history of taking things from consignors without a lot of research done.

Best of luck with the sale, of course, but to me there are just way too many unanswered questions on this piece.

Re: TOS Trek prop fruit from "The Apple"....or maybe a planet

Saiers:

I completely disagree;

For one, you have the COA, yes, COA's are a dime a dozen, but NOT One with a specific credible name that you can actually verify whats written on the paper. Assuming Mr Foster is still alive.

Second, if it was a PHASER..or a COMMUNICATOR...sure. However a GIANT FRUIT? really? What idiot is going to knock off a GIANT FRUIT?

It is more likely this is REAL than not. Yes, some auction houses, move some questionable things, but that is still the minority and odds are this is legit.

- - - Updated - - -

Saiers:

I completely disagree;

For one, you have the COA, yes, COA's are a dime a dozen, but NOT One with a specific credible name that you can actually verify whats written on the paper. Assuming Mr Foster is still alive.

Second, if it was a PHASER..or a COMMUNICATOR...sure. However a GIANT FRUIT? really? What idiot is going to knock off a GIANT FRUIT?

It is more likely this is REAL than not. Yes, some auction houses, move some questionable things, but that is still the minority and odds are this is legit.

- - - Updated - - -

Saiers:

I completely disagree;

- - - Updated - - -

Saiers:

I completely disagree;

- - - Updated - - -

Saiers:

I completely disagree;

Re: TOS Trek prop fruit from "The Apple

It's cool that you disagree. That's what a forum is for! :)

My point is who is Mr. Foster as it's relates to Star Trek? How does his word have any power behind what this item is? Also, yes and COA is just a piece of paper and in this sense it is also a rather vague letter with little facts on the item in question.

I am not saying the item is forged. I do not believe it is. In fact, I'm guessing Mr. Foster actually believed it was from Star Trek. My point is there is not nearly enough evidence to suggest this was actually used in Star Trek.

Here is part of one of the emails I exchanged w/ PP before the auction while I was researching it:

Hi James,

This is the story and we will get a letter from the consignor stating this for your records. John and his brother Matt both died (at different times) and to raise money for the Motion Picture & TV fund there was an auction of a lot of their items in 2001. This auction caused some complication because the family members wanted the items for themselves instead of going to auction. The family may be denying their knowledge of certain things because they were either unaware or denying anything the family didn’t get to make matters more complicated.

Donald Foster knew John Jeffries from working on The Greatest American Hero and he purchased this sphere outside of auction directly from him.

This piece is authentic and you will receive a letter once we receive it. I hope this clarifies any questions.

Thank you,

Customer Service

Premiere Props

Last edited:

I seem to be having trouble with the RPF.
I cant even edit that previous statement.

I get this: "1.The title that you have entered is too long (95 characters). Please shorten it to 85 characters long."

Strange....

- - - Updated - - -

You have a valid point, I have always said: "Unless YOU are the one who walked off the set with it...."

You really can never know for sure.

Re: TOS Trek prop fruit from "The Apple

I am not saying the item is forged. I do not believe it is. In fact, I'm guessing Mr. Foster actually believed it was from Star Trek. My point is there is not nearly enough evidence to suggest this was actually used in Star Trek.

I agree with Mr. Saiers. Let's say all the parties were telling the truth as they knew it. It still doesn't definitively tell us anything useful. And even if it WERE used for TOS, I see little value here. If it could be specifically matched as one of the planets they used, that would be different. THAT would definitely have value. But I've done some cursory research on that and I find nothing that remotely matches. Keep in mind that back then, they didn't lay down clouds over top of a planet using SFX. They shot spheres painted to look like a planet, complete with clouds. This has none of that type of cloud detail painted on it that is found on most TOS planet shots. Without an exact screen match, that claim can't be supported, IMO.

And if it's a background fruit from "The Apple", which I think is the most likely scenario thus far (though more research would have to be done to even specifically ID it as that), I still see little value beyond MAYBE a few hundred dollars at the most. As a background fruit prop, it holds little interest to collectors, IMO, and I use myself as an example. I'm someone MOST LIKELY to be interested in a TOS piece, yet this is nothing to me beyond "interesting".

If you can find someone willing to pay your price, James, more power to you – I wish you nothing but luck. But I, for one, will be amazed.

On eBay people pay thousand$ for fake Star Wars stuff ... I'm way ahead :lol

The value of anything is what the next person will give for it - no more - no less.

At this time I don't really mind if it sells or not.....so no reason to shoot low.

I have another item that could bring from $6-12K at auction, but I'd not let it go for $100K.....so.......ya never know.

I enjoy the learning and do not collect for profit, but I'm not oppossed if I do make a profit when I do sell.

I fully understand the value of provenance and being screenused....so the more I learn the better for the hobby and sales.

What is some minor thing to one person is a big deal to another...and vise-versa. If somebody gave my an original Cylon I'd sell it right away.....b/c I don't care for it, but know some do. :)

Thanks for the input.....it is always welcome - agreed or not - pos or neg.

- - - Updated - - -

I .... I'm someone MOST LIKELY to be interested in a TOS piece, yet this is nothing to me beyond "interesting".

Yeah Don - with your awesome collection I see why it would not rate :lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back