TOS Gorn

eaviii

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here’s something you don’t see every day. This piece was done by Hildebeast from the ground up. It is, to my eye, screen accurate and unbelievably detailed. The costume is modelled complete with hidden zippers and vents. Just cool. Definitely an outstanding piece. There’s a sound module in the head that plays dialog from the episode. Crystal inset eyes. Just unbelievable. Doug, Feel free to chime in with development photos or narrative. I doubt I am doing justice to the amount of work involved here. Thank you again sir!

20F466BC-8C59-443A-838F-BE5C24CCA374.jpeg
A73DDE55-35B9-4B68-88A6-FB3DB2EA3E1B.jpeg
A0487253-0EA5-4010-8251-F8925AD82206.jpeg
9D7BB9CF-299D-4D1D-87F8-96B4A7C4A9F7.jpeg
120252A9-38EC-449E-9EB9-B183C8B11340.jpeg
8559DD0A-3370-4834-9082-151566C68618.jpeg
53AE9A86-2BF8-44B9-9D0C-52BF49C0B35D.jpeg
3A5A6E25-B505-4397-ADF9-9F05CE67A366.jpeg
1A2ADE52-A488-4667-AC99-93202E6C1413.jpeg
81D680D9-C137-4081-B976-DF1CAD22AC9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. This is all Doug and, as usual, way over the top in terms of detail and accuracy. Hoping he’ll chime in here with his development photos and research. He has a sound module in the head and says that exact line (I grow weary of the chase . . . I will be merciful and quick).

As for the bamboo cannon, I would need to leave room for people to prop it against a machine at a kill angle for Kirk photos.

Now, I just need a Mugato . . .

Last edited:
Thank you for all the positive feedback...it was a labor of love. Two years of on and off again designing, sculpting, molding, casting and finishing. I couldn't go to the "Gorn" shop for anything...it all had to be designed and fabricated. I have thousands of hours into creating this piece. EAV111 asked for a life-size Gorn and I was fortunate enough to find a copy of one of the original two heads used in the "Arena" episode. It arrived distorted, caved in and had shrunk over the past 50 years. I restored it back to it's larger, original size through 3D printing and sculpting.
The base is the landscape for the Vasquez mountain range. This Gorn is slightly over 6 feet tall. I have seen one other life-size Gorn and I really wanted to do this with as much detail as possible. Even though the body isn't seen I wanted to sculpt the rubber suit Bobby Clark wore with all the air holes and zippers. I also spotted small zippers on the ankles of the original that I added.

I had the translator milled out of aluminum and discovered it was a little too large so I made a silicone mold and added about 10% Naphtha to it and molded the aluminum piece. Over the course of a month the Naphtha evaporated shrinking the mold to the size I needed. The translator and carved knife are resin. I cast the bronze plaque using resin and bronze powder, once cast it can be polished with steel wool. The tunic was a challenge... I was told by a Star Trek expert that the original tunic was probably left over material from a prior film possibly the Ten Commandments. You can't find that material and it has metallic threads of gold and silver running through it like a tapestry. I used a heavy material and had to hand paint all the circles to replicate the original. I used metallic glitter paint that really glitters in the sun. The eyes are the same color and size as the original...20ss size and Aurora Borealis color.
In Eav111's prototype I added a voice box inside the head that does activate by motion...He says he will be merciful and quick. This piece has wheels for easy moving and is easily put together in about 10 minutes.

As soon as I can I will upload some photos of the making of this piece. If anyone has any questions or inquiries feel free to PM me or e-mail me @ hildebeast@verizon.net

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back