Torbjorn (Overwatch) Indefinitely On Hold

Yrien

Sr Member
This project is (unfortunately) indefinitely on hold. Persistent neck/shoulder pain (and migraines to go along with it) means I am just not physically capable of working on it at the moment. My cosplay plans for this year are going to have to be a bit simpler, unfortunately. I'm disappointed, but I'll keep all my references, sketches, materials, etc. and hopefully have a go at it when I'm feeling better!

My big project for this year is Torbjorn, from Overwatch, to go with a group of friends. This is way bigger than anything I've tackled before, and I'm incredibly nervous about it!

Concept art:
Concept Art3.jpg

In game:
Torbjorn9.jpg

To date, I've been working on sketching out patterns for the armour pieces. I'm planning to make pretty much everything out of foam/worbla, as I've never done sculpting and casting before and don't think I'll have time to learn how to do that before my con (beginning of May). But now that the holidays are over, I need to start getting some actual work done on this!

Does anyone have any ideas about how to do the boots? Would I attach the pieces to an existing boot? I've never done anything like this before!

I'm also having problems patterning the breastplate/backplate. I was looking at medieval armour patterns to use as a base but since they're designed to be made from metal, which can be dished out to the rounded shape necessary, I don't think they'll work right with foam. Does anyone have any suggestions, or foam/pep patterns I could modify? I'm still very new at this sort of thing and am not good at making my own patterns.

As for the hair, I'm thinking of going with kanekalon hair. I'd ideally like to make reusable pieces instead of gluing hair directly to my face, in case I'd like to wear the costume more than once, but I'm not sure what to use as the base. Lace/tulle? Other fabric? Buy a cheap Halloween beard and build on top of it?

I would also like to make a muscle suit for his bare arm, since I am definitely nowhere near as bulky as he is. I'm planning to attach upholstery foam pieces to a sleeve made of old nylons or something else stretchy, then cover it with another layer of nylons (or other stretch fabric) and hopefully find someone local who would be able to airbrush some definition onto it. This means I will need to make a mould of my arm (I'll probably do the duct tape method) to work on. I might actually do a full duct tape torso, since I'll have to have something to build the robotic arm on as well!

Any help/ideas/suggestions are gratefully welcome. So far, my biggest costume build is Star-Lord's helmet (from foam), so this is going to be a huge jump.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back