Top ten signs you're into Props "too deep"

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by moffeaton, Jan 12, 2006.

1. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

10. You can't fall asleep because your brain is too busy figuring out the paint scheme for your latest build.

9. Every time you wash your hands, you think "too bad these aren't AS Handwheels..."

8. You won't touch that box of $800 parts in the basement until you can find the "correct" $12 scope rings to complete the build.

7. While watching Band of Brothers, you wonder if they'll show a glimpse of that sweet MG-42 Dengar uses.... Yes, you know the gun that @#$%.ing DENGAR used and CARE about it. Lol

6. When someone discovers a new paint or putty that is better than something you've been using for years, it's as if they found a cure for cancer. (Aves Apoxy Sculpt is the BOMB)

5. You know more about a Derwent engine than you do about your own car's engine.

4. That tin of Brown Bess you're hoarding is treated with more care than your diabetic buddy gives to his insulin bottles.

3. A new bottle of superglue REALLY excites you, with its clean crust-free tip and promises of great builds...

2. While others fantasize about winning the lottery or finding that old bathtub Porsche stored in a barn while backpacking through Europe, you fantasize about finding another Eumig for $30.

1. You wrote this list and posted it to THREE prop boards.

2. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

3. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol I am so guilty of #10 and #6 it is not even funny.

4. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

11. EVERY time you go to Wal-Mart you buy ALL the 2 part epoxy syringes they have whether you need them or not...

5. sapper36

sapper36 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Aww Crap - Do I need an intervention?

#10 - All the time baby - Wife thinks I'm nuts.

#9 - I can go in the kids bathroom - I installed AS Handwheels in there.

#4 - My Brown Bess is mostly gone now - Used most of it to paint my Pulse Rifle Yeehah., Lost some on my driveway when the bottle slipped out of my airbrush - boooo

6. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You get the Irish flu so that you can be home to receive the latest prop from FedEx.

You start posting about the delays on the shipment of the next prop.

"Do I really need to make the house payment or get the Falcon... Oh what the heck, I can always refinance."

"Its a great prop but using a spectro analysis, the paint finish is off from the original."

"Its off by .005 of a milimeter."

You have prop pictures in your wallet instead of pictures of your kids.

You don't go to antique shows for antiques, you go looking for prop parts.

7. MaxPlague

MaxPlague Well-Known Member

8. BigDumbWookiee

BigDumbWookiee Well-Known Member

- You can't watch a movie without telling at least one other person in the theater about the origins of the props. Whether you know the person or not.

9. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

- You are seriously considering having the entire family share one bedroom so the other bedrooms can be used for additional prop display.

-You're reading this while at work.

10. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

- "When you stop treating it as a hobby, and more a political event".

11. Howard

Howard Sr Member

1. You keep reminding yourself there's NO such thing as perfection...
    Yeah - right. :rolleyes

2. You spend a day searching through eBay for a 'mystery dial' for those * hero macros, going through the listings of cine cameras, movie cameras, TLRs, slide projectors, tripods only to find a headache and eyestrain.

3. You lay in bed dreaming one day your collection will be complete.
    Yeah - right. :rolleyes #2

4. You wish you had a say in what a major prop replica company will produce next, and how they will do it.
    Okay - I know some of you guys do for real.

5. You realise blank stares from members of your family and a few close friends while you blab on about your original derwent balance pipe serve only to confirm to yourself and them that you are a mad GEEK of gigantic proportions.
    Also - that said members of family / close friends who take great pains to *appear* interested, are far more polite than you for putting them through this sweaty-palmed display of uber obsession.

6. You send out a mail shot to plumbers in your area with pictures of an old 1970s tap which you'd like them to find so you can 'finish a restoration project with a 70s theme.'

7. Asimov syndrome. You line up more projects than are humanly possible to complete before you die, convincing yourself and your family you'll 'find the time.'

8. You turn you kitchen into a workshop.

9. You tell your wife, 'This is the LAST one I'm going to make.'

10. You tell yourself, (see above).

Howard.

12. tommin

tommin Sr Member

- you create a website to document and archive your discoveries...

13. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Whilst weight training in the gym, you lose count of your reps becasue your thinking about working on your prop when you get home.

Keith.

14. pyxl

pyxl Well-Known Member

You know you're a "prop noob" getting in too deep when:

- You write down every tidbit you can get like they're gold nuggets.."Brown Bess, gotta find out about that..."

- You wade through endless arguments on various prop forums to find the good stuff.

- You put up with endless bickering and moaning about a passion you're just falling in love with in order to view all the awesome pictures.

- You set aside your concern from seeing multiple "The Official "@&@&head" owes me the following" lists and put out hard cash for your first big prop/model.

- You accept that some of the "old timers" are gonna blow you off. You're new and they don't know if you're worth the time to get to know...but you keep at it.

- You sit in amazement at the dedication and skill other fans have shown in their work...then you go try to paint that * prop AGAIN.

- You lop off a couple fingers with a tablesaw, but three days later you're in the workshop facing facts and getting around to putting together that Meyers Jesse Viper..wondering how the airbrushing is going to be now with a tip or two missing.

15. PodRacer X

PodRacer X Active Member

You have either designed or remodeled your house with prop display space as the primary criterion.

16. moffeaton

You lop off a couple fingers with a tablesaw, but three days later you're in the workshop facing facts and getting around to putting together that Meyers Jesse Viper..wondering how the airbrushing is going to be now with a tip or two missing."

Lol - THAT hits close to home. Coming back from the ER after laying your hand open:
    (Click for post-op gore)
    http://www.roboterkampf.com/roboterpics/pi...ch/IMGP7587.jpg

and sitting back down in front of that Y-wing you need to finish, thinking to yourself "okay - hand is immobilized and ON FIRE, but the other one still works."

________

"You have either designed or remodeled your house with prop display space as the primary criterion."

I just BOUGHT a house in September, and the prop room was my #1 priority, heh.

17. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Well-Known Member

Hi. My name is Nick and I'm an addict. :lol

18. pyxl

pyxl Well-Known Member

Prop friends don't let prop friends paint on Vicodin. Seriously. My polar lights Enterprise looked like I'd been channeling Jerry Garcia's tie-die wardrobe. (Did you know Jerry was also missing a partial finger?) :)

Oh, here's my post op gore...ick. http://home.mchsi.com/%7Edhaffner/fingers1.jpg

19. USSCassiopeia

USSCassiopeia Active Member

Hey Pyxl,

The same goes for Ambien too: :)

20. O. F. Gunner

O. F. Gunner New Member

You have more money invested in your props than your vehicle
    worth.

21. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

18. Vast amounts of time you can't account for always occur in the vicinity of a hardware store.

17. You have Yahoo, AIM a web browser and email, all configured to accept and organize messages from other prop makers

16. Everyone else's desk toys in the office are 1/6 the size of yours

15. Work is a break from reading forums or researching prop photos

14. You take out the garbage whether it needs emptying or not, so you can spend a few more precious moments at the workbench painting one more part before your wife and kids realize you're missing.

13. Checking the weather has nothing to do with what to wear but everything to do with whether it will be just warm enough to keep the spraypaint can from clogging.

12. You're always thinking 3-4 projects in the future

11. You can admit you have a problem, but as soon as this project is done, you'll "take a break for a good while."

22. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone here who makes the RPF such good reading while at work.

And yes, I think I do have a problem like the rest of youse guys.

Bruce

23. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

I do this every time. Devcon plastic welder is like gold.

24. Bacara

Bacara New Member

Man, this is downright scary. I closely resemble numbers 12, 13, 14, 15 & 18...

/B

25. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

you hand drill the brass lid for a Star Trek TOS communicator. All 400 some odd holes.

26. jedidad

jedidad New Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I always tell people that you know when your a fanatic about prop building is when everything you see and touch looks like it could be something that it is not. I even get the guys were I work going sometimes when looking at things. My wife just shakes her head and my daughter who's 11 is starting to do the same thing I do and it drives my wife nuts. You just gotta love that. Looking at life through prop tinted glasses (that you probably made yourself) will build you anything in life you want. Just keep building because it's fun.

B) Jedidad B)

"May The Prop Building Force Be With Us .....Always"

27. JUDGE_HELLFAST

JUDGE_HELLFAST Well-Known Member

OMG, this thread is somewhat fightening. :lol I need help.

28. trekprops.de

trekprops.de Well-Known Member

Guilty in way too many ways... :angel

:lol

29. DLO Studios

DLO Studios Well-Known Member

10,9 and 3. :D Maybe there is still hope for me.......nah.

30. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Lots of guilt here.

31. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

:lol Yeah 90% of this is me...

32. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am guilty to 90% of above...

I will have serious withdrawal symptomts if I can't access this site for a while... :$

33. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

You finaly getting around to finishing a major prop that fought you every step of the way and was a major pain in the *. Then you buy another one just like it to do agian but a little different this time.

34. Rogue Studios

Rogue Studios Well-Known Member

11. You don't have enough money to feed your kids. (believe it or not I have dealt with folks who pondered buying something or buying food)

35. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Guilty .. at C3 I surviced by having a small breakfast, and some bags of potatochips ... way to much cool stuff to buy. :D

36. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

:lol :lol
    Man , I am so guilty of 90% of the list.

37. TKBIG

TKBIG Active Member

Guilty.

[​IMG]

BTW this pic was taken months ago and while it was all cleaned up and the kitchen returned to its original function for awhile......it is now in worse shape because of some new projects. But I am finally getting my own workshop built in the backyard very soon........ yeaaaahhhhhh..... :D

38. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Your Mother in law is now trained to save all plastic containers with lids...and old pieces of hose and plastic scraps...and other tubular or interesting objects...cause she knows You'll make something out of it... :lol

And yes...trying to share my excitement over an old balance pipe with my father in law who spent most of his life as a mechanic for United Airlines... (finally I know somnething about planes)...was laughable at best...

39. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Your station wagon, kicthen, living room all become paint boxes depending on wheather.
    You refer to the coffee table as the "assembly line."
    Your carpet has more than one black paint stain
    You buy more one more kit in the middle of building the first one so you can "test some more..."

40. racprops

racprops Sr Member

I have the topper:

You spend the last 30 years and will spend the rest of your life MAKING PROPS... full time ...all the time.

(unless I win the AZ Lotto, and if it is big enough I will be talking to a few studios....)

Rich aka racprops aka propmaker on ebay

Need I say more??

Rich

41. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

:lol .....ooops....busted.

42. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

I'm guilty of quite a few of those. My addition is:
    "You buy a fancy new digital camera not to take pictures of friends and family - but to take awesome pictures of your prop collection."

43. Krel Jedi

Krel Jedi Well-Known Member

This is a problem?

David.

44. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

Whoa. That's true..
    OK, I got another one. This was a result of last night's meeting at work. The place I work has just put in a $50k workout room - everything you'd ever want to really pump up - to use for free, whenever we want. They even give free weight training classes. But during the class, a little voice popped into my head,

"Sure you've always wanted the opportunity to go Schwarzenegger-crazy at a workout facility and this one's free and super convenient... but then won't your arms, calves and chest be too big to fit into that costume?"

:confused

45. moffeaton

I can hear it now... "C-3POHMYGOD that dude is ripped."

46. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

I bought a tin of this from a place online recently #186 yeah?

SAS

47. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

HEY I'm taking that right now for sciatica and it's not doing she eye it for the nerve pain, it just helps me be too loethargic to care.

For me, it's going to lowes or home depot twice a week and having never purchased a single thing from either place for home improvement.

48. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

Awesome stuff guys, really put a smile on my face. :lol Keep em comin'.

49. Uber Fett

Uber Fett Sr Member

Funny enough, that's exactly what my mother has, a 1962 Porsche 356B...and it IS in the barn...

Shawn

50. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Here's one...

My wife was not a Star Wars fan before she met me, and still isn't. However, she can now tell you most of the major differences between ANH Vader and ESB Vader. Also, when she saw ROTS in theatre with me she commented (in reference to Vader) "he looks awful symetrical".