Tools of the trade?

Bacchus

I have been reading around for a while now and the stunning work is setting my mind racing with a million ideas for models (I really need to focus) But as yet my modelling attempts outside of 3D have been somewhat small.
I have read of people using vacuum formers, metal lathes and even laser plotters. All pricy bits of kit but I would like to know:

What are the top ten tools any model maker can’t be without?

The Top 10 list is boring, mostly it would contain just the basics to get a job done and more like a top 100 list when you actually add up all the little bits...

For example here is a start, hardly all inclusive, but it's stuff I will use on just about any model I work on...

1. X-acto or other small razors
2. Steel Rule
3. Scissors
4. Clamps
5. Tape
6. Sand Paper
7. Tweezers
8. Pencil / Pen
9. Cutting Mat
10. Tooth Picks

And on and on... I'm sure someone will toss up Dremel but damn, I find so little use for them overall that it's way down my list, I find it to be more of a "Fill in the void because I don't have the proper tool, tool" Not saying they are useless but once you have the bigger and better tools the Dremel becomes less and less important or used...

I'm sure someone will toss up Dremel but damn, I find so little use for them overall that it's way down my list,

I have seen a lack of Dremel on here... was starting to think with all its little tool heads and such it would be a plus but looks like not a lot of people use it. More small files and chisels get a look in for that sort of work.

Tooth picks :confused

Good lighting, and good ventilation, and plenty of electrical outlets.

Worktable, seating, and shelving, and racks for material.

T-square, mitre box

Toothpicks are the swiss army knife of modeling. you can use them to hold small parts to paint, use them to move small parts into place, stir paint with them, and for me with custom action figures help add some strength to parts.
A small saw set and files work wonders too. For some of this stuff hitting discount stores help a lot. A small vise is probably a good idea too.
I never realized how handy a cutting mat was until i got a small one at the dollar store. I wish they'd had more as i'd have bought a bunch for my dad and i to have on hand.

Toothpicks are the swiss army knife of modeling. you can use them to hold small parts to paint, use them to move small parts into place, stir paint with them, and for me with custom action figures help add some strength to parts.

To add to that, stir and mix glues and resins in small amounts, as a fine point glue applicator, You can also poke them in foam or foam board to make all sorts of custom jigs or holders for your model and parts... It's amazing how many uses you will find for them once you have a box on the desk, same with popsicle sticks, or tongue depressors 1001 uses once they are on the desk...

Well it is nice to hear that the most useful are not the most expensive... Looks like I will be stocking up on toothpicks and cutting boards and some good sharp blades.

BEER......then Dremel, which is probably why i grind a bit of finger away everytime i sit at my bench :lol.

Anyhoo, ill add, good airbrushes, dont buy those cheap junk things, they never last, ive had loads, full of promise, but since i bought a range of Tamiya units....no more blue monday's........oh, and a decent compressor.

lee

I find the dremmel very useful. Especially for excess flashing etc. It's so a great cutting tool. If you get the right accessories for it it's a must on my bench. Oh and mine works best with RUM!!! Oh and get yourself a good scriber.

Xatco knife, scribing tool , jewlers file , and mechanical pencil are my main modeling tools I use alot, then are the secondary tools Dremel, sculpting tools to sculpt custom pieces or greeblies to mold, tweezers and lots of C.A. glue and Bondo red spot putty I love that stuff, Lol.

Last edited:
The Dremel factors in high on the list when building larger objects such as hand-held props or costume items. It doesn't play much of a role when modeling in scale.

Add a razor saw, a bright light source like a small holgen desk lamp, modelling masking tape and a selection of paint brushes.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back