Tomorrowland (Post-release)

I haven't seen the movie (yet), but grabbed the "Before Tomorrowland" novel at DL yesterday and I'm interested to dig into that a bit. It's odd, I find myself with some innate attachment to this movie, and really wish it would have a chance at a sequel or even anything slightly related to it (prequel,etc.). I just think the bones of the world are really cool, and that maybe there will be enough fans that it could end up with some "cult" type popularity. I guess the retro futuristic stuff just seems under represented in this era of super high tech futures and superheroes. Again I understand that it is silly to defend a movie I haven't even watched, but I just want more properties in this vein, and would hate to see that genre die because of unsatisfactory returns.

My daughter read that book and she enjoyed it. There is a small reference to the events of the book in the movie, but nothing is lost by not reading it. So, she tells me. Its on my list of books to read, but I don't care to read that much.

The complaints I have seen or heard, is that we don't get to spend enough time in Tomorrowland and as an audience we wanted more of that. The other issue was that it got "preachy." Aside from one scene, I never saw it as "preachy". My belief is that those that feel like they are being preached to, know the message is true, but don't want to hear it. If you ignore it, it will go away.

As for spending more time in Tomorrowland, I don't think there is ever "enough time". However, the message I got from the movie is, "If you want to spend more time there, create it here."

-Eric

Sorry if this has already been asked.
I have not seen this film, but was looking it up on IMDB. I noticed the title and the name of George Clooney's character, Frank Walker.
Just wondering if this is all a reference to Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome? I remember the kids in Mad Max talking about a "Tomorrowmorrow Land" and a "Captain Walker".
Just seemed like a funny coincidence.

Sorry if this has already been asked.
I have not seen this film, but was looking it up on IMDB. I noticed the title and the name of George Clooney's character, Frank Walker.
Just wondering if this is all a reference to Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome? I remember the kids in Mad Max talking about a "Tomorrowmorrow Land" and a "Captain Walker".
Just seemed like a funny coincidence.

I didn't see anything in the film to allude to that, but it is a pretty interesting coincidence!

I saw it a few weeks ago. Sure, it got a little preachy at the end, but I expect that from a Disney movie. I liked seeing Space Mountain in the background. I did grit my teeth when four minutes in they started playing the music from "It's a Small World". But that is from growing up near Disney World and "getting" to ride that a lot as a kid. Edit: Turns out it was an 'E' ticket ride? WTF?!!! (Look it up kids)

I've just watched the film, and I have to say, Mr. Bird hasn't let me down. This film invokes much of a feeling I had whenever I watch The Iron Giant, but I notice the social commentary in the film. In a way, it's actually right. Back in the 1950s, 1960s and even the 1970s, we had a lot of hope for how the future could be. We looked at things, and hoped that the future would be better. Nowadays, we look at apocalyptic films and TV shows and are more willing to embrace that future than we want to admit. Don't get me wrong, I will admit I'm guilty of this, as I love watching The Walking Dead and Defiance, but watching Tomorrowland makes me wish, and hope, for a tomorrow that's better and inspiring once again.

Overall the film was good, the character and story definitely were great. I'm surprised this film didn't do well at the box office. But I'd totally recommend the film to anyone, and feel that its message is great: do not give up on dreaming, and do not give up on hope. And with enough people, maybe our world can change for the better. I don't think any other film can end with such an excellent message these days.

I had DVRed this a little while back. I had heard it wasn't very good, but there was absolutely nothing good on tv last night so I decided to check it out. I'll have to say, I was pleasantly surprised! I really enjoyed it. When I had read here that it was "preachy" that had turned me off to it, but I really didn't get that feel from it. Seems to me, anyone who feels it is preachy is probably exactly the type of person that the movie is talking about. I don't mind movies with a message, especially if the message is about hope. Once you get to my age, hope is about all you have left.

I really enjoyed the Casey character, I think that girl did a fine acting job. I don't know why, but when they got out of that transporter thing and she was moaning "I'm dying, I'm dying!" I just about busted a gut. For some reason I thought that was hilarious!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back